Poll: What should be our next stretch goal? What about 3rd person camera?

as said above, 3rd person is for me just a secondary option that only a minority of players will use and not all the time. i haven’t been playing enough the Alpha and dont know precisely what will be going on next, but we need more exciting or important goals (don’t need to be a huge thing though ), improving the gameplay, weapons,inventory etc… by other means. now you have the “luxury” to focus on the details and right now in this industry, a lot is about details (good idea to do a poll by the way, it involves the players which is great for both of us)

I’m going to have to agree with you here. I think that this discussion (and several others regarding the same topics) have reached their peak, and it’s about time they decide what to actually go with.

Regardless of the merits/detriments of TPV and FPV cameras, the real question that needs addressed (and even possibly asked again) is “What should the next goal be?”.

There is a wealth of information both here and other threads regarding this question… more than enough that @warhorse should be able to compile a list of feasible and interesting options, and choose one from among them.

I’d almost recommend another Poll, but I’m not sure how effective they’ve been so far. The thing with Polls is that they really must be designed to ask the proper question if one hopes to get useful data out of them. Perhaps they might come up with a solid way to do one though for this issue, who knows?

They may even try to do, say, one Poll with 3 or 4 options, take the top 1 or 2 from there and make a second Poll combining those choices with 2 or 3 new options from the list, and do that until they filter to the community favorite over the course of say, 3 or 4 Polls.

I really don’t know, I’m just thinking aloud, I suppose. Really there’s no telling that any given community will participate in Polls at all, and one mustn’t assume that just because something works in theory that it will work in practice. Bottom line, I agree that it is time for us to stop compiling ideas, and settle on one or two. :slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes

Oh man GTAV FPV is hella sweet, but you can really tell it wasn’t meant to be played that way.

haha oops.

Sigh, well it seems all the people bent out of shape over a completely and utterly “optional” (IE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE IT) feature won.

With the update today it seems tpv is shelved for now.

Sad to see people want to take away an optional feature from those that wish to use it, simply because they don’t want to use it.

Maybe we should take out all graphical options and not allow people with higher end pc’s to turn on things since you can’t as well?

Just don’t get why anyone would get so upset over something that has no affect on your own game meanwhile someone else would like to play a game that way and it would help their enjoyment of it.

Well, I think this could be acceptable for everybody. Make both, but at first, focus only on 1st person and make it in best way. Then when 1st will be done, no matter if you spend all time to do this, then make and implement 3rd person view to the game even after release as a patch.

Because as many people said here, you promised game only in 1st person for more realisticexperiance, you should Release it only in 1st person view… Hour after official release… release first patch with 3rd view and everybody gonna be satisfied. :smiley: just kidding, but something like this you should do it, to fulfill your promise :slight_smile:

In my opinion as a ArmA player. We are playing almost every saturday “big” operations about 20-30 people against AI … And we play it only in 1st person, and I rly play it rather in 1st person then 3rd, cuz its… more funny, realistic, it pulling us into the game, we are feeling like these soldiers etc… But the 3rd person view is also cool, and I am happy to use it in ArmA in editor, or just for fun :slight_smile:

In short… Make 3rd view, but dont change release date because of it! I think, everybody gonna use it once, at least to watch ridding on horse, combat, or just enjoying nice armor and weapons :wink:

If any form of 3rd person is added to the game I would severely regret donating to the project.

I’m sorry but that is the greatest sin a game can commit in regards to this genre. There are almost NO first person RPG games in the market, and any of them that actually implement a 3rd person option have a very clear difference in performance / immersion compared to the others. First person is the only way to obtain a truly immersive experience, but third Person KILLS immersion.

I do not mind letting players have some sort of “Screenshot Mode” where they can view their character in third person, but I do not wish to see third person be a main part of the game.

There is an issue of how many gamers will always choose the best/most effective option. This is undoubtedly third person in all scenarios. You can observe your surroundings much more easily, you can react more easily, you are in “more control”. While many people mark these off as benefits, I do not. You should not be able to traverse the world or experience combat in this “heightened sense of observation” due to your difference perspective. These things kill the experience for me, and I do not wish to see it in this game. Please do not make me regret getting excited for this project. Do not add third person!

1 Like

I’ve always found 3rd-person to be more immersive and enjoyable for combat with any complexity. 1st person movement just feels so clumsy and confining, since the rectangle of your screen blocks out so much peripheral vision, and you lose most of the sense of your character’s body in the world. So in order of preference:

• 1st person Oculus Rift support, to avoid the usual clumsiness of first-person views
  • 3rd person for screens
  • 1st person for screens
1 Like

I actually gave less money to the Kickstarter than I otherwise would have because of the focus on first-person. The party line about first-person being more immersive or realistic has always struck me as silly, given how confining the FOV of the normal screen is. It’s only realistic if I imagine I walk around the world with a welding mask strapped to my face. I lose all sense of the motion of my character’s body, or the fun of the artistry of their balance and movement. I just become these disembodied eyeballs with blinders on - this is counter-immersive, in my view.

So if you already support 3rd-person in development, I will find it maddening if you decide not to also include it as an option in the game. It will be a terrible waste of an opportunity, if it’s not hard to do.

If you could go back in time and delete your comments about how you already support 3rd-person in development, and then come back and lie to us about how much extra work it would be, so it’s not practical, that would also be preferable.

2 Likes

I smell a lie you say you gave money to KS but why dont you have a badge…

1 Like

No idea about badges. I just came to the forum after watching the recent update, and registered from scratch.

I get that many people disagree with my view. I can deal with that. But I respect that disagreement more than people who want to slap down my view by attacking its sincerity.

If you actually backed money to this game i would get your badge up and running most people tend to dimmiss non backers posts ( trying to help you). There are several threads about how to use your badge.

I hate it, please don’t do this only for the console kids.
To explain my harsh words, which are meant no way offensive or should crown the PC gamers as superior.
My personal opinion is, that 3rd person view would ruin the feeling of the game. It would be like a medieval Tomb Raider or
similar games. There are a lot of games out there for 3rd person fans, no need for another one. This game should be as unique as intended. Like I said my personal opinion.

1 Like

what about option to create your own unique heraldic design and put them on armor/Property
or options to invest into NPC Businesses and gain revenue or favours.

2 Likes

third person is illuminati

2 Likes

Sin? How does the way someone else plays in third person have ANY affect on you? You say it ruins immersion? Don’t use it!

Meanwhile the person who enjoys third person can play it and enjoy it how they wish.

Ever hear of The Elder Scrolls? Pretty much the pinnacle for what most people consider a “first person” rpg? It has a third person view, it might not be the best third person view but it has one and many people use it one way or the other.

I just don’t get why you would feel regret donating to the project because they add a completely optional view that has 0 impact on first person or your own enjoyment.

1 Like

It would impact the quality of the melee combat

2 Likes

This kinda reminds me of the good old witch-hunts that were happening back in the medieval days. There is about as much sense and reason driving this particular witch-hunt that we have here. And once again a “witch” is at the stake, just to shut up a couple of criers that keep fanatically shouting about “evil” out of their baseless fears till their throats get sore.
Some things really doesn’t change even in the 21st Century. A pity.

Please no 3rd person view. :frowning:

2 Likes

I need 3rd person. I can not play games in 1st person for more than a few minutes at a time without becoming nauseous. I supported this game because I believed in the technology, the combat, and the setting. But I will not be able to play this game and love this game unless I can play in 3rd person view at least a majority of the time. (I would be ok with 1st person indoors as stated by Dan.)

1 Like