Realistic archery

In my opinion, a somewhat more realistic approach might be a bit different.
Because of a syndrome, I’m a pretty skinny guy, and none of my bows’ strength is over ~47 pounds. To be precise, I also have to add that I usually shoot with steppe bows; realistically these bows were mostly over ~#80, not just for the sake of the arrow’s kinetic energy, but because of the horn plate on the belly side of the bows starts working in this range. Long story short, I realised on the example of myself (personal experiences may vary :smiley: ), that

• it is true that almost no matter what history you have with sports, you have to train for the bow exclusively in terms of strenght, and
  • surprisingly, accuracy is almost independent from strenght.
    When you get to your anchor point, the skeletal system picks up a reasonable percentage of the load. One may sway, of course, but screwing up a shot at that point isn’t largely because of that, but because of a whole lot of other problems; place of the nocking, the lack of a defined anchoring point, using arrows with too different physical properties, failing at distance estimation and - most often - “simply” screwing up the seemingly very easy process of the release.
    Archery is all about keeping the most parameters at bay, and making each shot just alike the other.

Because of this, I think that general strenght should not be a decisive factor in accuracy directly. Maybe it should cap the bow poundage Henry can (repeatedly) shot with (or maybe - gamewise - use up much, much more stamina?), and an archery skill - proportional to the experience with a bow - should influence mainly the accuracy. Maybe this skill could go up faster with professional training, like, in the presence of an archery instructor.
The “problem” is, like I wrote, that possibly “strength” as of capability of drawing bows and “accuracy” as of capability of shooting with bows a little bit walk hand-in-hand together anyways via training and excercise.

1 Like

I would like to see some attention paid to realistic Arrow Damage, If I shoot you in the knee your gonna have a bad time.

I would also love to see arrows crack and break when being shot into rocks and the like. Tired of arrows in games bouncing unharmed of rocks and stone walls, or even lodged into them.

I would also like to put it out there that a PEW mod is must when the time comes.

the alpha already features broken arrows. i shot at the bowmaster’s helmet and it actually bounces off, it also bounces off some of the padded clothing too. like merchant’s pourpoint. might be due to the fact i’m standing too close when shooting.

you can then pick up the broken arrows, they look the same as regular arrows as of now, but they cannot be used.

1 Like

Thankyou, Ive only done the archery ounce and the only experimenting I tried was running away with it which failed.

Its okay if broken arrows don´t look broken in my opion, because also a lightly damaged arrow should count as broken. The force of the bow is pushing the arrow from the back, so the arrow bents if it is shooten. A damaged arrow can break easily, especially with strong bows. In this case the arrow can break before it pass the bow and could penetrate the archers left hand. So you never should shoot a damaged arrow in view of the high risk of an accident.

1 Like

I second that. My holding hand got seriously cut by an exploding arrow years ago, and that arrow looked undamaged to me. Maybe it was, but it still had problems with it’s quality in the first place. :smiley:
Well, it’s sill a “minor” concern compared to what for example a handgonne could do to my hands…

I still have to try it out - until now I wasn´t able to complete the quest due to several bugs ^^

But from the videos it looks pretty good - except for the sway which looks very unrealistic.
If it was to simulate the draw weight I´d prefer if you just weren´t able to hold the bow fully drawn for a very long time.
Missing strength could be also simulated in not being able to fully draw the bow at all - resulting in lower efficiency overall at archery.

I´ve shot bows which were way above my normal draw weight and were pretty heavy to draw but then, if you shoot such a bow you just release as you reach your anchor point.
You don´t hold it - and even if you´d have the strength it normally isn´t a good thing to hold the bow for too long as it looses tension.

I have a question about archery in the final game. Will there be different kinds of arrows fitting to the different needs of archery? So maybe needlebodkin for chainmail, normal bodkin for platearmor and broadhead for soft targets and hunting?

Different arrow tips would definitely be a nice feature.

As to the archery itself - I really hope that the sway gets removed and that physical aspects in regards of archery are solved another way - eg missing strength could show in not being able to fully draw the bow resulting in less range.
Also the time which you are able to hold back the bow fully or partially drawn could be lowered pretty much because as it is now you can hold the bow in a draw like forever and “only” have to deal with the sway which is pretty unrealistic.

Probably yes … different arrows with different “skills” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope they include more than just bodkin arrows. There were many different types of armor piercing arrows other than Bodkins that worked much better.

I prefer those! :smiley:

3 Likes

How about:

Since you are using larp weapons for the motioncapture… they should be fitting :smile

I do hope that you do add different types of arrows.

2 Likes

It’s been a wile since I didn’t read this post… now I’ve found an amazing and surprising video

Can someone tell me if it’s true what they say? thx =)

2 Likes

There are two threads about this video on the first page of the forum alone…

1 Like

Interesting post, I too hope Warhorse make archery to be something awesome, hard to master but easy to use at basic levels. Check out this video http://9gag.tv/p/a503ZA/everything-you-know-about-archery-is-a-lie

If any game has a chance of getting it right, it’s KCD!!!

2 Likes

Fellow 9gagger, hellooo!

you honestly think that’s the only place you can find and repost videos like that?

How I hate those videos …
Doing Hollywood Style Matrix Trickshots and talking about historical accuracy at the same time … lol …

He may be good at doing his trickshots but imho those videos don´t represent historical accurate archery at all.

3 Likes

I swear to god, if I see this video one more goddamn time in the KCD forums, with comments like “historical”…

This guy grabbed the work of thousands of people for around a hundred years, and gave it a spit in the face, and pushed back the sober, sane uptake about historical archery for about a ten years just with one video, basically with one word. This is the “the pharmaceutical companies all lie, you can cure cancer with just a simple plant” of archery. I’m full of it.

3 Likes