Realistic combat – can be still achieved without altering the game mechanics (?)

People concerned about the realism in KDC combat system have been spamming various other threads on more or less related topics (Warhorse at E3; Hardcore combat systems; Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4, etc.), so I decided to start this new focused on precisely what could Warhorse do within the limits of existing game mechanics, into which developers have apparently invested so much effort, to bring the combat system closer to real 15th century combat.

I personally think it is shame for a game, which went so far to have historically accurate chickens, varieties of flora, architecture, clothing etc. (fantastic job there!), that it would showcase such an inaccurate combat system, which is supposed to be one of the major features in the game. It’s not that it would be not fun to play, but with all that strive for realism and huge effort Warhorse already invested, why not go the extra mile?

I know people will say that the game isn’t supposed to be a combat simulator. I agree but the way combat works now is actually a 100% simulator of stage fencing. Believe me, I had been a stage fencer for many years and every single move in KCD reminds me of the good times… :smiley: The reason is that the “swordmasters” Warhorse engaged and even mo-capped are pure stage fencers, look at their website and see the bits of video updates where the process of mo-capping can bee seen.

But I believe the current game mechanics as we have seen them in Alpha 0.4 allow creating a historically good reproduction of combat, which will also be fun to play. Incidentally, some of the proposed changes may well address issues people have now with, for example, Q for defence and the timing of parrying etc.

The following text will be divided into unarmoured combat and armoured combat, because these are essentially different sports. The sections will discuss stances, strikes, counterstrikes, special techniques, and wrestling.

The historical framework for our discussion is clear: combat in 1403 should be based on German longsword techniques as developed notably by J. Lichtenauer after roughly 1300, and as interpreted in later Fechtbücher by Danzig, Kal, Talhoffer etc. There are plenty of resources available online and I will post some prominent at the bottom, but I will not be referencing throughout in detail. If someone is interested in a particular detail, I will be happy to elaborate and provide adequate reference on demand.

6 Likes

Unarmoured combat

1. Stances – guards

Guards used in KCD are roughly correct. They are Oberhut/Vom Tag (from above/Roof – sword above your head pointing upwards), Ochs (the Ox - crossed arms above your head, pointing to opponents head), Zornhut (guard of wrath - sword angled from right or left shoulder, pointing above), Nebenhut (low guard - the opposite of Zornhut from below).

Instead of Nebenhut or the non-implemented classic Unterhut (from below straight line), which have been only rarely used in real world, I think it would be a good idea to implement the so called Alber (Fool, sword in centre pointing to the ground), which is great guard allowing many defensive techniques (fool is its name because only a fool would attack “into it”, i.e. against an opponent in the guard of Fool). Fool is actually Unterhut but with switched hands.

Also, the Fool is as close as you can get to some “neutral” guard, which multiple commentators have demanded on this forum. Although it is not neutral from the fencing point of view (it is in fact very aggressive), people might appreciate having sword in the centre for a while. A version of Fool is point of the sword pointing from below to opponents face (so called Pflug – plow).
Otherwise, I have no suggestion how to improve guards. Good job there, Warhorse.

1. Strikes

Major issues. Strikes in KCD are the showcase of stage combat, unfortunately.

a. Strike with stretched arms

You would normally never strike wide with your arms stretched. It is simply too slow. The strike from a guard which involves stretched arms (such as Roof or Fool) indeed involves a combination of arms movement, but then you immediately use the leverage you have with your left hand on the pommel against your right hand and give the strike a good quick twist. Think about a golf stroke, how powerful and quick it is when you flex your wrist properly! Guards where your arms are not stretched, such as Guard of Wrath or Ox, do involve even less or no waving your hands, it’s basically all about quick wristwork.

Remember, it is preferable that your strike is rather fast than heavy. If you hit properly to the head (which is btw your primary target from any direction with any strike), even a soft but quick strike will incapacitate your unarmoured opponent. Also, late medieval longswords were very light (between 1.3-1.7 kg), so hitting hard wasn’t really your primary concern.

Carving big long cuts with your arms stretched is the domain of stage fencing where you need to create an illusion of force. It has no place in real combat, however. Quite the reverse, actually, it goes against the old German principle “to hit the other in the shortest, quickest and the most effective way”.

Implementation: this could be easily altered by different animations. The moves should be quick but I hope not impossible to motion-capture.

b. Sliding of the blade

Another aspect of stage fencing from which KCD suffers greatly is sliding of the blade. In the current build, if your opponent blocks (or doesn’t), your blade slides down (or up) from his sword or armour and you end up in the guard opposite to the one from which your cut began. The inverse physics do this beautifully, but it has little support in history or logic of fighting with longsword.

In real fencing, two scenarios are possible. You either hit your target right away (head / joint (elbow, knee, foot) and there the fight usually ends. Given the speed of a well-executed wrist slash, this is actually less improbable than you would think. Unarmoured fights could be very brief. Or, you touch opponent’s sword (so called “binding”) and then you have two basic options. If he is weak on the blade, you go strong, press forward and finish (or tweak) your original strike, and hit. If he is strong, you go weak and transition into a second strike through wristwork on his blade and then hit. If you don’t hit, you follow with 3rd strike and so on.

This is what is called roughly “work with the sword” and is the core of medieval swordplay.

Implementation: might be done by changing the mechanics just a tiny bit. When you hit opponent’s sword or armour and you do not follow-up (lets say, you click just once, or you click once and then you “unwind” by taking a step backwards), your sword would spring back to your original guard. However, if you go combo in the same way as you do successive clicks from multiple directions in Alpha 0.4, you would perform the 2nd and 3rd strikes and so on as described above until you hit or be hit by opponent’s counterstrike. It is probably more a question of different animations than adjusting the mechanics substantially.

1. Counterstrikes

In my eyes the most painful issue in current KCD combat system. In German longsword school, which is the one applicable to Bohemia at the time we find ourselves at, there was no such thing as parrying and then attacking. The word “Riposta”, itself comes from much later Italian and French rapier school (French word “riposte”), that developed parrying / riposte style some 200 ± years later. Nowadays riposte, i.e. parry and attack, survives in contemporary sport fencing disciplines with foil, epée and sabre. Note that rapier fencing was rather a matter of very distinct street duels, whereas on the battlefield combatants were still using swords (even bigger than in 15th century) in parallel to civic weapons such as rapiers. Note also that one of the famous classical longsword Fechtuchücher is from as late as 1570 by Joachim Meyer, and of course does not contain any parrying in the longsword section. Just forget Riposte.

So how did 15th century combatants defend themselves if not by parrying? Simply by counterstriking directly against the attacker. The longsword has this great feature that the blade is indeed long and strong enough to provide both cover and threat to your opponent at the same instant. Technically you would strike against opponent’s attack thrusting your arms forward to cover your head (from whichever guard) and either directly hit your opponent or after binding his blade (strong or weak) push or move around accordingly and hit, just like normal sword work. The trick is that the attacker is always somewhat faster and has more control over his 2nd and the following strikes, which requires the defender to adapt his 2nd and following counterstrikes. That is why the old german fechtschule maxim states that “the best defence is offence”. It is always more advantageous to strike first than to wait, parry, and counterattack.

Implementation: I think just redesigning the parry-attack function would be fine. Lets leave Q key as master defence key. But instead of pressing Q at the right time to parry (which is very unintuitive per se), lets instead leave the player with choice to leftclick or rightclick (slash or stab) against opponent’s attack. If player does it in the right time, he parries and strikes at the same time (here a good animation for catching opponent’s blade on your strong and cutting with the weak).

The defender’s strike, if the counterstrike was successful, can be then counterstroke against in the same manner, as it is now possible with parrying in Alpha 0.4. Counter attacking might be possible from all directions as it is in reality, because any guard allows you to counterattack against any strike. This will add good variety into the fight.

Should player miss the right time to counter attack, he might be quick enough to press Q for defence (unlikely) or eat up the risk from failed counterattack and get hit (as would be the case in reality).
I see no issue with the bullet time! I think having bullet time during counterstrike would allow you to better appreciate what is actually happening in the combat. And if you ever tried fighting, you would know that often time runs in mysterious ways :slight_smile:

1. Stabbing

I think stabbing is well done in KCD. In real fencing, you would threaten to stab your opponent straight from some guards (such as Ochs or Plow), or stab after executing a strike when binding the opponent’s blade (as it is now implemented in one of the combos, if I remember correctly). I would simply leave the choice to stab with rightmouseclick either as a part of the consecutive strikes (combo) or as a counterstrike.

To be contd with armoured and wrestling combat…

9 Likes

So do you know much about one-handed axes?
I love them so much :stuck_out_tongue: sorry that its off topic…

You raise some interesting points

Can you tell us a bit about your background, and training? From a lay persons PoV it appears you know what you’re talking about, and I’m assuming this is from both study and experience, so I’m interested to know how much experience you have with historical European combat fencing :smile:

Please find a game with a more realistic combat system please. Your gripes are extremely nit picky and quite frankly a bit absurd. I mean wrestling? You need to realize this is still a game.

Pretty bold claim there. Do you have any evidence to back this up?

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, is exclusively aiming for the head a part of German style? I am a total noob in all things sword related but what i read from Guy Windsor’s books, i saw no emphasis on targeting the head, basically any hit you could land on target would be good in unarmored combat.

This is why I was asking about his experience…

He makes some bold claims, I’d like to know how and why he’s an expert.

Great post.

Simplifying this the main differences (in unarmored combat) can be summed up in three points:

1. Blade should not slide
  2. Fights should be shorter (though against unarmored NPC they are kinda short)
  3. There were no riposts

Problem, as I see it, is that if all three points were implemented it is really all about luck, you missclick once and you are dead. This is of course realistic, but this is still game where in the end you are still the hero and reloading the game several times per fight to finally win is not what I would want to do. (Although defeating very advanced fighter in arena is also a lot about luck right now.)

As to armored fight where you want to go into wrestle as soon as possible and stab the guy with a dagger, that is kinda out of reach for games right now. Though there is a combo where you put the enemy on his back and that, I think, might be a way out of it.

Here are some other links to topics discussing realistic combat:
[Realistic combat, stances, guards, and grappling][1]
[Interesting Documentary about a medieval Fight Book][2]
[Combat System Discussion][3]

I did not read them through, but there are plenty of interesting videos.
Also pinning this for interest.
[1]: Realistic combat, stances, guards, and grappling
[2]: Interesting Documentary about a medieval Fight Book
[3]: Combat System Discussion

1 Like
1 Like

there are ripostes. you click q when the enemy is ready to swing. it’s just not working right all the time. if you’re quick enough with your attack input after you successfully parry, you can thrust at their head in almost one motion.

You misread that, @Elendor is suggesting that during 1403 in medieval Bohemia, there was no such thing as a parrying riposte *riposta style incorporated into the typical German longsword styles.

Instead, it was something that derives from the Italian and French schools some 200 years later

1 Like

great thread!
balance between realistic and fun for gaming is very very very important issue. I know that is very hard. but I also very happy because WH at least tried to make realistic game as much as possible.

not until WH remove the word ‘realistic’ in KCD, they should consider this post very deeply and seriously. please.

I can’t wait armored and wrestling combat! hope see it soon!

2 Likes

The thing is that more than realistic game, Warhorse is going for balance between fun and realism.

My bet is that you will see no wrestling soon. Or at same level as halfswording - only as a part of a combo.
Combat system is still fun though, but of course needs some tweaking and balancing.

1 Like

So to sum it up;

1) Stances are well done.

2) a) Strikes are slower and longer than they should be.

This is incredible nitpicking. The fencers actually talked about it, this is done intentionally like that, for the game purposes. There needs to be time for reaction, every sane person must expect the combat in the game to be a lot slower than in reality. Your proposed solution is honestly absurd. Another thing is that quickness of strikes should change based on your skill level (it’s an RPG…), so there must be a range of different speeds, where the lowest ones have to be obviously a lot slower than in reality.

2) b) This is really confusing. You don’t like that after a block you end up in different guard and that you can’t continue in attack after being blocked, if I understand you correctly.

I honestly don’t get this, there is aboslutely nothing unrealistic on ending up in a different position after being blocked. It may not be realistic to end up always in the opposite guard, but I would argue that your proposed solution that sword should end up in the same postion as before the block is actually even less realistic. And I also don’t get your second point, you want the block button to not actually block?

3) You complain that riposte couldn‘t be used in 1400 Bohemia, but you don’t oppose authenticity of that technique.

This seems to me like another nitpicking. It doesn’t even make the technique unrealistic, just not completely accurate fot that era, which seems to me like a non-issue. It is realistic combat technique. And your proposed solution is again incredibly flawed. If you make possible for a player to block, or more specificaly to block with activating bullet time, by common attacks, the combat will change into a random clickfest with unintentionaly blocked attacks and randomly activated bullet time. It would be a total mess. The current riposte mechanic is working well, it is realistic technique and makes sense.

4) Stabbing is well done.

I mean really? That’s it? You call fencers who worked with Warhorse hunderds of hours on the game ignorants without any knowledge of historical fencing just based on 3 seconds long footage of mo-caping and implemented game mechanics (that actually make sense, unlike your proposals), without knowing any context, and your complaints are basicaly just „strikes are too slow and long and I don’t like that blocking is more powerful in game than in real life?" Calling something 100% stage fencing and then coming up with this is really bizzare.

I can only repeat myself, this is nitpicking of the highest level and total ignoring of needs of the game. I also don’t understand why @prokybrambora pinned this topic. OP is calling the fencers working for Warhorse amateurs, by proxy calling Warhorse incompetent to find actual experts on historical combat, this all without providing any relevant evidence to back up his claims. He previously even outright lied about the fencers’ website and lectures they provide, and now it looks like all these claims are endorsed by Warhorse by highlighting the post. Pining something just because you find it interesting is pretty bad forum mismanagement, there is actually already too much pinned threads.

You are confusing realistic game with simulator. This is realistic game, not a simulator, and OP actually didn’t provide anything that would call into question realism of the game, he only pointed out few minor differences that actually make sense gamplay-wise, and suggested trully terrible combat design changes.

4 Likes

I apprecieate your input on this.
I addmit that by pining this topic it might seem that I agree with OP, but that is not the case.

When this forum started there was a lot of discussion about fencing (which are linked in this topic) and by time they have died.
Now that players can actually see how the combat works and can even try it themselves I felt that there should be visible discussion about this, especially considering the fact that after every update there is a lot of questions and remarks about realism and autenticity by new backers.

But if other moderators ( e.g. @DrFusselpulli , @McWonderBeast , @TobiTobsen ) think that it should be unpinned I will gladly oblige. After all I lack their experience :smiley: .

2 Likes

“You hit him and the combat is over” - no, it is not. This is a “realistic approach” that games aren’t, and for a good reason probably will not reach ever. Even sometimes HEMA groups go with their sparring until the first hit, because “the enemy is dead” - no, he isn’t. Even better, most of the times he is far more than capable to counterattack, even after a hit he is “practically dead”. Just one word: Nachschlag.
The fight isn’t over when you hit the guy. The fight is over when he is lying on the ground, incapable of any movement.

While I am not a huge fan of straining a point of an eclectic mix of historical fencing styles (there should be a huge number of “vulgar fencers” around, so having people who have barely any idea what to do with a sword is also “historically accurate”) onto a charchter of a blacksmith in Bohemia, just because yaay, we study all that stuff and it’s cool, human physiology applies to all, in every era.
And I doubt there will be people fighting on with horrendous injuries, slowly passing out of blood loss, or - adrenaline down, relalizing, what is happened - screaming, crying, begging for help and crawling around.
Or really, anything but “HP on zero, dropping dead” kind of stuff.

So, at this point requiring Henry to take up a “proper” vom Tag position, when in ~2009 I learned a totally different way how the “roof” should be achieved than in ~2012, or when we still call the horse out of thin air with a whistle, then… well… you know.

Oh, and also one more thing. Fencing guilds weren’t the Salvation Army to train every poor peasant kid just for fun. We know for example that taking an exam of a provost in the London Masters of Defence required a hefty amount of money, and you were bound to invite every master and high-level fencer in a certain area. Fiore himself warns us that this art is the noblemen’s art, and should not be teached to a peasant, practically.
So, there’s that too. We aren’t quite yet in the time period where sport fencing was basically an urban mass sport.

1 Like

Im happy to explain my background and will also use this opportunity to make few references to resources as promised.

Many years ago, I was with “historical” fencing group called Erebus (from East Moravia), doing stage performances of late medieval and reneissance combat for quite some time. We did purely stage fencing, i.e. pre-tried, slow, wide and emphasised cuts, with some attractive but wholly inaccurate pommel and “halfswording” techniques mixed in to excite the general public. Then we started to understand that what we were doing had little connection to any real thing. We managed to get one of the few researches and instructors on German langschwert school at that time, Petr Skalický, and tried to learn accurate combat style and techniques, which we planned to use as a spicing for our stage performances. Admittedly, it didn’t work great because from spectators point of view, the duels became too quick, too short, and also extremely dangerous for the swordsmen (because you cannot use any head protection - so the kids gots pretty scared :smiley: In short, the audience couldn’t appreciate the added value of historical adequacy. Anyway, I think we pushed it as far as we could - if interested, see this video (shot after I left the group), which has some good fencing there not only with longsword, but also with hunting swords, messers, bucklers and polearms. I repeat - this is all still stage fencing miles away from being historically accurate.

However, I wouldn’t consider myself nearly an “expert”. I enjoy reading and translating old german manuals, but I have much less practice than I would love to. An I have been out of trade for nearly 15 years now. I am sure there are more experienced people out there on this forum. Please speak up! :smile:

As already pointed out, because the Czech and Slovak republics have only a handful of people who delve in serious research and teaching of accurate German fencing and all are well-known by name and sought after, it is also easy to see that the company Warhorse engaged and mo-capped (allegedly these) do not have connection to any of those instructors. The few swordmasters used to be concentrated in Magisterium under the shepherd Jan Koza, or were kinda solo entrepreneurs (such as Petr Skalický in Moravia) but I hear nowadays there is an array of new groups specialised on reconstructing German fencing, which is good news. There is Digladior under the instruction of Borek Belfín, for example. In Slovakia, there is a great school under the instruction of Martin Fabian and Anton Kohutovič, who have been even admitted among HEMAC - The Historical European Martial Arts Coalition, an elite European club of the few recognised researchers and teachers (there is none from the Czech Rep., btw).

The thing is that you can do accurate fencing either for sport (there is actually a world championship in longsword), or for sheer pleasure. Neither is very lucrative so there is not too many people involved, 99% of fencers do pure stage fencing. In any case, there is plenty of resource available online. The best tradition remains, obviously, in Germany, but for example the american school ARMA has a good site with tons of material in English, including translation of most of the Fechtbücher. You may find some good videos there too. But look for example at a video by the two Slovak gentlemen I mentioned. This is as good as it gets.

As to the accurate reproductions of late medieval and renaissance longswords, there is a fantastic webpage for collectors MyArmoury. Again, getting hand on a good reproduction of a longsword is still problematic in the Czech Republic. Few blacksmith such as Pavel Moc, Luděk Vobořil or Had, to name the famous few, are reasonably good, but still falling behind in technology and understanding. Among world’s top smiths is Peter Johnsson, a Swedish researcher associated with Albion Swords. His replicas and variations are top notch, but expensive as hell.

To end this post with a positive tone, I must admit I absolutely love the longsword models Warhorse designers did for KCD. And I am sure this is just a fraction of what awaits us in the final game. Sheer beauty, you could easily track some models to the preserved original swords as documented by e.g. Edward Oakeshott. Please make also XVIIIb, pleeeease! Despite it being inaccurate for the period… :smiley: (for those Barons Freixes among you - i am joking…)

1 Like

I would agree that any hit you can land counts. However, you would prefer hitting the head because if you don’t, and hit, say - shoulder, arm or side and belly of your opponent, and it is a skilled opponent, you will immediately get your head smashed from his counterstrike. You would target anything else than the head only in some special circumstance (basically, if you can’t reach it for any reason - too far or way over the opponent’s blade requiring impossible rotation etc.)

Head is also the place which is the most “sticking out”, it is the closest target. As are joints (elbows, knees) and feet. Some weapons were specifically designed to target and cause bruises to joints that are sticking out due to the physiology of the combatant (especially the hunting swords, in Czech “tesák”). Quite annoying and hurtful stuff.

Last but not least, not all strikes are strong enough to cause damage in places other then the head because of the low weight of the longsword (trust me, 1.5 kg for 130cm sword is like holding a chopstick). Strikes such as zornhaw, vom tag or zwerchaw involve rotation of the whole body and are pretty devastating. However, most of the “nach” strikes, i.e. 2nd and 3rd and the following strikes can be less so. But even a small touch with the point of the blade is usually enough to incapacitate the opponent if hits the compound bones at the side of the scull (which is in fact THE target for all basic strikes excluding vom Tag or Oberhaw).

1 Like

I wanted to reply to your post in detail, but frankly Im a bit repulsed by your offensive manners and personal language - considering we only just met (forum-wise).

Just two remarks:

1. your summary misunderstood almost all the points I was making. I don’t blame you, I blame myself. Should have posted references right away to illustrate what I meant. Please refer to the videos and fencing manuals I posted links to above.

2. i didn’t say Warhorse are incompetent to find adequate fencing instructor. I said the fencers from that group are clearly not into historically accurate combat because a) content of their webpage - clear focus on stage fencing (even if they mention old masters names and their chief may have studied under Jan Koza), b) no fechtbucher sword master I would know of, c) mo-capture scenes from WH videos and most importantly d) the current combat in Alpha 0.4 is 100% stage combat simulator, there is not a single historically correct fencing technique, which would be also correctly executed. I repeat, not a single one. Get with it.

And you know what? Maybe this is all intentional. Maybe Warhorse wanted it to be stage combat on purpose. For all those reasons we discussed - playability, time for players to react, fun, transparency… you name it. All are legitimate reasons and I don’t have problem with that. It wasn’t my intention to blow up the huge work, creativity and effort WH invested in developing the combat. I was thinking that with good feedback from backers, it could be pushed a little bit more. Overall, the purpose of this forum is to open discussion, so why closing it with offensive attitudes.

And don’t worry. Even if this game ends up a stage combat simulator, it will be the best game on the market in 2016 and I will buy it. Wait - I already have :wink:

2 Likes