Warhorse's treatment of early backers

Warhorse Studio’s project Kingdom Come: Deliverance was once at a point where it would almost have been cancelled if it hadn’t been for Vavra’s Kickstarter campaign and his call for donations/supporters. At that time he was desperately in need of money, or rather voices of support in order to convince investors. He received this support. He was able to fulfill his dream of creating a video game according to his vision. This wouldn’t have been possible without all the early backers who supported him. During development it was furthermore possible to pre-order the game on the website and thereby supporting him and his vision again.

And now he is sticking out his middle finger to those very supporters and saying “Oh, you’d rather have a different version of the game? Well, suck it up you losers, shouldn’t have given me money then.”

He provides those who did not back him in times of need with a better service: he let’s them choose what version they want to purchase. Those who did support him? Tough luck because “sorry but we can’t change our organization so late in the development”.

As someone who has vehemently refused to pre-order any game until Kingdom Come: Deliverance (I liked the prospects and ambitions of the project so much that I decided to abandon my principles and support them), this abhorrent behaviour reinforces my firm believe that pre-ordering games is always a bad idea, no exceptions. Warhorse Studios have burned me. I will never pre-order anything from them again, I will try hard to get a refund (contact Paypal and try to force reversing the transaction) and I won’t buy any games from them until they’re discounted to 10 Euros or below. This is ridiculous, giving the early supporters and backers a worse experience than someone who distrusted them and waited for them to pull themselves out of their financial problems. Especially when it’s something so relatively easy on their part: handing out GoG keys instead of Steam keys for those that are interested in this. Ridiculous.

What is your opinion on this?

6 Likes

Everything is fine.
More, than 10 characters.

P.S sjw, relogin.

1 Like

From what I understood their primary backer wanted them to prove/test the waters of interest for the game - Which they did from the Kickstarter.

While I can understand some people’s frustrations that they are not getting a PS4/Xbox or PC copy due to them having selected a different option at a previous point in time before the closing for the game edition, you would like.

This is business, we were all very well made aware that the time for confirming what we wanted as our version of the game. They attempted to inform and contact us about the timeline closing in (They have to post these out, its a cost to them)

Now, on the other hand they could say add an option that the backer would pay an additional cost (to cover repostage and other costs) Likewise if you had a contract or other deal rewritten because of your error at the last minute, you would likely have to give some recompense.

All in all, everyone here had years to know what version of the game they wanted. With every opportunity to do so (obviously if you were in a coma and had medical evidence, Im sure any business would attempt to help) Sometimes, people just have to honestly hold their hands up and admit they made an error with what they decided they wanted.

I chose PC because I knew I was only going to be running PC - While i see people going mad currently about GoG - honestly, a significant amount of the DRM bit is a bit misconstrued as from I understand some games can actually be separated out from steam once installed from what i’ve read - obviously i can’t make that claim for KC : D as no ones tested that.

1 Like

There is a program called GOG connect, which lets participating games be added to your GOG library if you have them on steam already. In my opinion Kingdom Come Deliverance should be apart of that, since we already own a copy I don’t think that’s unfair.

I think you’re going a bit far though.

3 Likes

I don’t understand your chief complaint? You did a lot of back fill with everything but didn’t really explain why you’re upset. Are you saying the game has changed in concept since the kickstarter? I’m just confused is all.

There are better words to say it… yet I cant understand at all; maybe I have a different concept about what “backer” is…
Buut, I’m sure I’m wrong…

Sorry I didn’t clarify enough, I’m still feeling rather upset at the moment and I kind of rambled on and on. I’m referring to their recent decision to release the game on GoG in addition to Steam and other platforms but at the same time refusing to let early supporters, who back then only had the option to choose Steam for PC, choose the GoG version rather than the Steam one, while at the same time giving the choice to all others who haven’t supported them when they actually needed the support. We basically gave them money and trust just to receive the worse service. Especially since it would be relatively easy for them to just hand out GoG keys instead of Steam keys for those who want to change the version.

Edit: My situation, for instance, now looks like this: I either have the choice to accept that I shouldn’t have supported them in order to receive the same choices as others or I can shell out another 50 Euros. I don’t think that’s fair.

Really? You are going to complain about getting the game… on a different platform?

You are calling getting a different key a terrible service? Geez you must be fun at parties.

6 Likes

I’m not calling it a terrible service. Just a worse one compared to if I hadn’t supported them early on.

lol, i’m sure they would if they could. didn’t stop to think that this might be because of technical reasons?

gog fanboys are so god damn salty…

4 Likes

Lets not berate the person - we are all adults or at least reasonable people here.

2 Likes

I recieved an email like 3 months asking if I wanted to change my platform from my original selection… so they did give you that opinion.

1 Like

How long is it since it was announced that it was comming to GoG?

I didn’t receive an email asking me if I wanted to change my selection. I received exactly 4: welcoming me to the Warhorse eco system, an email for activating my account, an email confirming my order/support, an email welcoming me to this forum.

1 Like

Actually, a lot of people had the same issue, did u try to contact right to their mail or from this forum?

You pledged on KS but got email something went wrong?

Made account no comfirmation email

The problem may be that GOG, not WH owns the GOG keys and they are in GOG’s possession. WH can not just say sorry GOG we need those back!

Could you have predicted the future and know that a GOG version would become available?

WH can not predict the future either.

The deal with GOG is probably with Deep Silver anyway.

There is really not anything here that WH has done wrong IMO.

SJW tears is all I see here!

3 Likes

So because you got an email providing that option everyone did?
This entire situation is a bit of a mess that imho could have been softened a bit by a detailed explanation instead of abrupt ones such as simply “No” and "Not possible, etc.

1 Like

its not warhorses fault, they cant do anything about it it seems like
maybe it would be better if there was no gog version at all then we wouldnt have this controversy
there was never the plan to release it on gog too but they did because some people wished for it.
you knew what you’ve backed for and that it was a steam download or physical copy

If you ordered the game for a system you don’t want its your fault. Not Warhorse’s!

We don’t need to attack the guy - adding SJW tears is all i see here isn’t really necessary.

2 Likes