What about plants in KCD

So what about plants in Kingdom come Deliverance?
I think there should be lots of different plants in Kingdom Comes nature.
It would make the whole game more alive and the nature more realistic and beautiful.
I think these little things can really improve a game a lot.
I dont know how much work it is to create different types of plants but I cant imagine its too hard.
Of course these plants should be the ones growing in medieval bohemia.
The other aspect is: How about healing plants and the ones you can collect and make potions with? Which should be included if you know some and how should you find them? Is there anything said about this so far? Some games make them shine through the other vegetation is this a good possibility or are there alternatives?
I also could imagine NPC’s collecting herbs and selling them on the market.

What are your thoughts about this?

5 Likes

I’ll take the bait and start with 
 garlic.

4 Likes

Not big on botany or horticulture, so I’m afraid I can’t suggest specific plants and such, but as to the quoted part above, I’ll happily share my 2 cents.

Personally, I’d be happy if you had to recognize these plants by sight rather than having them glow, shine, or otherwise stick out from the rest of the environment. IIRC, Red Dead Redemption’s plants didn’t shine or anything, you just had to look for them in the landscape, and it was fun as hell!!

7 Likes

A commonly used plant in medieval times that I would like to see included is “alruin” (Ger. Alraune, Eng. mandrake, Lat. mandragora officinarum).
It was used as a means to subdue a person (narcotic, painkiller), for example during amputation.
Trained dogs were used to find it. In folklore, alruin was also to be found under the gallows [“Dick Turpin” tune playing], because it was said to grow particularly well from corpse liquids.
The medieval books “Tacuinum Sanitatis” (Eng. Maintenance of Health) and “Hortus Sanitatis” (Eng. Garden of Health) have many examples of medieval plants and medicine.

4 Likes

I would like to recognize the plants by sight too like @Night1505 already said. In my opinion much better than simply picking up glowing plants for example.
I’d like to see garlic and alruin, too

A plant suggestion I have is comfrey
It has been commonly known as “Knit bones”, is one of the most beneficial, of all the “Old Herbs". Comfrey was most commonly used as a poultice or a herbal tea, for breaks, bruises, sprains.
Boiling comfrey root in water produced a thick paste in which cloth was soaked and then wrapped around broken bones.
It might fit well in the game cause you can treat wounds with it.

5 Likes

They also could be used to make poison (a deadly or a sleepy one). In a potion, to put on a blade, a dart, 

1 Like

I searched for poisonous plants being used in medieval times, here is a choice of some plants I found:
@LeChat Monkshood “was often used to coat spears and arrowheads” I believe there are other plants for this purpose, too

Belladonna: (also known as Deadly Nightshade; German: Tollkirsche)
The poison can be absorbed through the skin. However, ingesting any part of this plant can cause dizziness, dry mouth, flush, nausea and vomiting, visual impairment, increased heart frequency, agitation and raving, followed by weakness and sleepiness, breathing compression and death. The overdose level for an adult is only 600 mg.

Belladonna is a Latin word that translates to “pretty woman.” In the Middle Ages the plant was used cosmetically in Spain and Italy. Women used to treat their faces with belladonna to give themselves a rosy blush in their cheeks. Eye drops were also common. The drug caused the pupils to dilate and give the eyes an overall brighter appearance.

A tincture made from belladonna leaves is one of the most popular poisons in history. Ancient Gaelic tribes used belladonna before a battle as an “herb of courage.” The drug acted as a stimulant and caused the warriors to fly into an uncontrollable rage.
The Romans reportedly used the plant as a type of “weapon” to contaminate their enemies’ food reserves.

The plant was also used in history as an anesthetic during surgery. A concoction of hemlock, mandrake, belladonna and henbane was applied to the skin.

Its deadly character is due to the presence of an alkaloid, Atropine, 1/10 grain of which swallowed by a man has occasioned symptoms of poisoning. As every part of the plant is extremely poisonous, neither leaves, berries, nor root should be handled if there are any cuts or abrasions on the hands. The root is the most poisonous, the leaves and flowers less so, and the berries, except to children, least of all.

Atropa belladonna

Hemlock:(Conium maculatum; German: Gefleckter Schierling)
This is a plant with a hollow stem with red spots, small white blossoms and a very unpleasant odor. Hemlock is commonly found throughout Europe. All parts of the plant are very poisonous. A lethal dose for a human being is only 0.15 g. The seeds contain the highest concentration of poison. The conium alkaloids are volatile and can even cause toxic reactions when inhaled.

Common symptoms are nausea, vomiting, movement- and speech retardation and dilated pupils. These are followed by paralysis of the limbs and thoracic muscles which results in death.

The most famous victim of Hemlock poisoning is Socrates. He was forced to drink a tincture of hemlock after he was convicted of corrupting the youth with his radical ideas.

Conium maculatum

Jimsonweed: (Datura stramonium: German: Stechapfel)
Jimsonweed was a popular poison in the Middle Ages. There are references to it in Homer’s Odyssey, and Shakespeare’s plays: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and Anthony and Cleopatra. The plant was easy to disguise in the victim’s food or wine and the effects were almost immediate.

The symptoms are similar to those caused by Belladonna. Dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, visual problems, heart palpitations, agitation, vivid hallucinations and uncontrollable raving are all common. This is often followed by extreme weakness or sleepiness, respiratory problems and death. Victims usually experience the effects about 30 to 60 minutes after ingestion.

Death usually occurs only if the plant has been ingested. However, even prolonged breathing of the fragrance from Jimsonweed flowers can produce mild symptoms. It also doesn’t take that much to be fatal. Less than 5 grams of leaves or seeds of the plant can kill a child.
All parts of the plant are psychoactive.

Datura stramonium

Monkshood: (also known as Friar’s cap or Garden Wolfsbane; German: Eisenhut)
Monkshood is one of the earliest known poisons in existence. It was often used to coat spears and arrowheads for an added effect. The plant was also used to poison enemy water supplies.
The poison can be absorbed easily through the skin, but death usually occurs only when the plant has been eaten. Initially it acts as a stimulant but, soon after it paralyzes the nervous system. Symptoms include a numbness of the mouth, abundant salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The skin becomes cool, the limbs become insensitive and the pulse accelerates. Death results from respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. The whole process usually takes about an hour.

The poison is very potent. Doses of 2-5 mg are enough to kill an adult. Children may also become poisoned if they hold tubers in their hands for a long time.

Aconitum

Other poisonous plants are:
Henbane (Only 10-20 seeds are enough to poison a child. However, death for adult victim is rare. Symptoms normally include insanity, violent behavior, seizures, trembling limbs and other symptoms that are similar to those caused by belladonna. In the Middle Ages, henbane was widely used in Germany to augment the inebriating qualities of beer. Additionally, extracts of Henbane and Belladonaa were used to create a ointment or salve that was applied directly to the skin. The mixture often caused vivid hallucinations.)
Fly Mushrooms (The mushrooms can be consumed in beverages or added to ointments. They can also be smoked or eaten. Once ingested, the symptoms are dizziness, delirium, intoxicating effects similar to imbibing too much alcohol. These symptoms are usually followed by a very deep sleep or even a coma.)

There are some poison antidotes too, at least medieval people believed so:

Gemstones – Certain gemstones were believed to ward off or neutralize the effects of poison. Emeralds and amethysts were set in jewelry so that they could be waved over the food which would supposedly get rid of the poison before consumption. These gems were also ground into a powder and added to beverages and food for the same purpose.

Tasters – It was common for monarchs to employ food tasters. These unfortunate employees would be forced to taste the food or drink that meant for the monarch before it was served to them. If the taster became sick or died – then the food was deemed to have been poisoned. If they suffered no ill effects – then the food must have been safe to eat.

Amulets and Talismans – It was also common for individuals to wear amulets or talismans that were designed to guard against the ill effects of poison.

Incense - The burning of incense was done in order to purify something. Therefore incense was used to ward off poison. The burning of Cypress, Fleabane, St. John’s Wort, Hassuck Grass, and Fennel was a very common practice.

Emetics – Several substances were used to induce vomiting in an effort to combat poison. Cabbage seeds, fig tree ashes, warm milk or butter were all common prescriptions for this purpose

Several herbal concoctions were believed to rid the effects of certain poisons:

Mulberry leaves boiled in vinegar were used to combat the effects of Henbane

Garlic was believed to be an antidote for serpent’s bites

Frankincense was often used to combat the effects of Hemlock

Mistletoe and Rue (which are both highly toxic themselves) were believed to ward off several poisons

Sources:
http://www.therensource.com/articles.asp?item=67

7 Likes

Very detailed and informative post!

I like that there are so many period plants usable as poisons (although I won’t be playing a user of poisons myself). I hope the developers still skim these boards and someone takes some ideas from these kinds of posts.

The only non-realistic thing, and understandably so, is that the developers will have to speed up the onset time for these poisons for them to function as part of a fun game experience. Having to wait around an hour for your poison to kick in on your target would be tedious at best.

@jan​fo : Great job !

Arsenic and Curare were in use as a poison in middle age (and even in ancient Greece).
I have a blury memory of antidote telling me : Curare = Salt and Arsenic = Milk but I don’t find a clue on the internet :confused:

There is also a wide number of poisonous Mushrooms.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Lavender. It was used back then for pretty much the same thing it is used for now. Also, with Alchemy being a active trade during this time period, I would be sure they would not ignore plants and such.

Here is a quote from the following website on it :

Lavender

In Medieval and Renaissance Europe, lavender was strewn over the stone floors of castles for use as a disinfectant and deodorant. It was also one of many medicinal herbs grown in “infirmarian’s gardens,” with yields intended to be used to ward off disease. Use of lavender was highly revered during the Great Plague of London in the 17th century, when individuals fastened bunches of lavender to each wrist to protect themselves from the Black Death, and glovemakers scented their stocks of leather with lavender oil to ward off the disease. Thieves who made a living stealing from the graves and the homes of Plague victims concocted a wash known as “Four Thieves Vinegar,” which contained lavender, to cleanse and protect themselves after a night’s work. Today, we know the disease was transmitted by fleas, so the use of lavender–which is known to repel these insects–could very well have saved lives and prevented further spread of the plague.

Lavender was also used externally to treat scabies and lice. Other effects are: relaxing, sleep promoting, disinfectant, antibacterial. It was used extensively in baths, as a personal scent and as a moth repellent.

Some other healing plants I found:

Anise (ger. Anis)
Hippocrates recommended anise to help clear mucus from the respiratory system. It was also recommended by other renowned physicians as a breath freshener, digestive aid, a cure for hiccups, headache, asthma, insomnia, nausea, lice and infant colic. Anise was so popular in medieval England as a spice, medicine and perfume that in 1305 Edward I placed a special tax on it to raise money to repair London Bridge.

Apple (ger. Apfel)
Hildegard of Bingen prescribed raw apples as a tonic for healthy people and cooked apples as the first treatment for any sickness. Apples were used to treat eye diseases, fever, gout, heart/liver diseases, and stomach troubles. A related species, quince, was very common in medieval monasteries.

Angelica (Wild Celery) (ger. Engelwurz)
It was used to cure respiratory disease and plague
It was believed that plant would protect a person who carried it from witchcraft
Angelica was also commonly cultivated in monasteries.

Burdock (ger. Klette)
In the 14th century burdock leaves were used to treat leprosy. Hildegard of Bingen used it to treat cancerous tumors. Burdock root was also prescribed for fever, ringworm and skin infections.

Mint (ger. Minze)
Has been used in food and medicine. Mint vinegar was used as a mouthwash; mint sauce restored the appetite. Used for all stomach ailments and in treating venom and wounds. Treated dog bites & hiccups, removed scars if mixed with rose oil. Mints were also aphrodisiacs.

Chamomille (ger. Kamille)
Used to treat headaches, kidney, liver and bladder problems and as an aid for digestive upsets. Also used to treat fatigue, fever, snake bites. Women used it to ease the pains of labour.

Lungwort (ger. Lungenkraut)
The characteristic silvery-white spots scattered on its leaves were a sign of its medicinal value in treating lung complaints. Lungwort was already a common garden plant by the sixteenth century.

The twelfth-century authoress of the Physica, Hildegard of Bingen, knew the plant as lunckwurcz:

Lungwort is cold and a bit dry and not much use to anyone. Nevertheless, one whose lung is swollen so that he coughs and can hardly draw a breath should cook lungwort in wine, and drink it frequently, on an empty stomach. He will become well.

—Physica, XXIX

Thyme (ger. Thymian)
Thyme is good to drive out phlegm, expel worms, relieve asthma, dissolve blood clots and to treat headaches. Also used in cooking, and in baths and as an astringent. Burned as to fumigate against infection and to scent sacrifices. Like many other herbs, thyme protected medieval people from witchcraft. It was also claimed that eating thyme increased courage whereas the smoke of the burning herb was believed to offer a protection from poisonous bites. Thyme was also an ingredient in a potion that enabled people to see faeries.

I wonder if we can get some of these herbs from the monastery that will be in the game. Also: Gardens were highly important in Medieval society = supermarket, pharmacy, bath & body shop, liquor store, etc. so are there going to be any gardens? Of course there should be at least one in the monastery. I would be happy if at least around 20-30 different kind of plants will be in the game. In medieval times people cultivated hundreds of different plants.

4 Likes

I would like to revive the “pastinaak” (Eng. parsnip, Lat. Pastinaca sativa), a carrot-like root with anise-like taste.
The plant was already eaten in the times of ancient Greece and Rome and introduced to Europe by the Romans, where it was an important food until replaced by the potato (it was brought to the US by English immigrants but completely replaced by potato there and nowadays seen as a weed). A colleague gave me some from his garden this week. Supposedly it goes well mashed with carrots, to which it gives a refreshing flavour (like said, anise-like).

I’ll just leave this here: Every european should know the plant

Usually grows next to roads, due sticky seeds attaching to travellers and vehicles and therefore getting spread around. It was number one choice for wound treatment, since large leaves covered wounds easily, stopped bleeding, disinfected and cooled the wound. Otherwise it was dried over year and used as tea or jelly to cure stomach pains and cough.

A game taken place in Europe without broadleaf plantain wouldn’t feel real.

It is also very common in Czech areas. Not sure about 1403, but it feels safe to assume so.

1 Like