What do women want in gaming?

I think not… That is all from 2010 and it’s hardly meeting minimum requirements for realism,

This trailer… Ugh.

http://www.ea.com/the-sims-medieval/videos/sims-get-medieval-trailer

Nah, this is the pinnacle.

I sense a lonely bridge…

Fucking mages, how do they work?

Ad 1: Fine, as anyone can ignore this if one doesn’t like it
Ad 2: Fine with me, too
Ad 3: Fine, as long as it doesn’t exclude being successful by combat
Ad 4: Seems to apply to MMOs only, so I don’t care
Ad 5: Fine with me, explorers and alchemists FTW!
Ad 6: Difficult, for it would call for leaders who would score more than their minions. Don’t like it. Everyone wants to be leader then.

Like, but what is a Red Queen?
So I can agree to most of it, does this make me female?

Yes, only females want things like that apparently.

Taken from economics, it is the notion of a state in which one must pursue infinite progress against an “unwinnable” goal.

It depends… are you as incapable of following the context and logic of the discussion to this point as our resident troll? If so, I suppose that is precisely what you must conclude it means.

Ouch… did you just say that if I were as incapable as said troll I must truly be…?

Just kidding.

I think most people agree to above points - as they make for a more interesting game. What I don’t get is why is this considered “female attitude” or the assumption that males prefer straight, boring games.

Let me put it this way: there is a difference between “what women want in gaming” and “what women want in gaming that men do not”.

The latter is a misperception of the discussion, usually preferred only for the sake of argument.

Interesting discussion …:slight_smile: Had 6 years ago a similar conversation with Linda Breitlauch (Prof. at Game Academy) and was surprised (as a man) on the results. Incidentally Sim’s Middle Ages is managed by a woman and has flopped in women circles. Ergo - Rethinking! This topic will be discussed for a long time …:wink:

Managed by isn’t the same as “designed by”, but yes, repackaging with frills isn’t the way, either. It astonished me that game companies do not get anthropologists and sociologists involved as part of the concepting process. There’s decades of research and insight that could assist and they just… ignore it.

Personally, I want a world that is realistic (not graphics, the level of interdependence, etc) and where there are ways to be renown other than combat.

1 Like

Smart diplomacy, a deficit of almost all games, because “empathy” is hard programmable and based on the status of each life experience. KCD will not create in the first approach, but we wait the Alpha from.

By the way, I was surprised how much brutality want female players partially …:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The sims is wildly popular because, I will generalize here, when it comes to playing video games most of us are rather twisted individuals and wants to see what happens to a digital person when you suddenly wall them up in their own bathroom for 4 days. or block all the exits and start a kitchen fire to observe how the people react.

Don’t tell me you haven’t done it. Or though about it! Its the basic sociopath mentality expressed in a safe environment. Ie a virtual gaming world and not your neighbors house.
We do it because are nature as human beings is curiosity about the unknown, not because we want to practice up before we try the real thing.

The gaming community is such a weird demographic compared to virtually any others out there. It has no age range, no financial restrictions, no uniform culture, no geographic location or nationality.
By our very definition as a group, we are counter productive to labeling or generalization. One female gamer might be a middle class of pick any nationality woman who enjoys non confrontational games of strategy and intellect, were another might be a higher financial class of a completely different nationality who enjoys violent high reflex based games.
We are the worst demographic for any type of marketing. Children generally like colors and movement in their entertainment where as elderly people are more inclined towards entertainment that challenges their considerable life experience to make them feel accomplished. Yet the gaming community. We are so abstract and diverse there is no way anyone can speak for even a small portion of our community and because of that, there is no such thing as a focus group for Gamers.

Actually, I can say that neither the thought nor the action have occurred here. Also, I’ve never played a “Sims” game after Sim City, so there’s that.

This is a fascinating statement and an incorrect one. You’d be surprised just how much research and study is conducted well outside the “game industry” every year. Likely even more surprised how much of it points to striking similarities of profile across the larger diversity you mention.

For games, this means you must be exceedingly willing to either focus on a OTA (one true audience) or willing to develop at a level of complexity that embraces the mean of popularity across all potential audiences. MMOs traditionally choose the latter, WarHorse chooses the former. No one has really figured out “the formula” to effectively address blending the two (though it is possible, it is also prohibitively complex without either some form of semantics rule engine or exponential amounts of content and asset development).

For example, I’m in the middle of detailing quest content trees for a new offering and the principles for whom I work are becoming discouraged with the reality of the depth and complexity required to manage realistic player and NPC interactions. They genuinely thought, “Well, we can just have a set of lines for faction A, B, and C and a set of NPC responses for each and we’ll be good to go.” In reality, a single quest encounter will require roughly 4400 pieces of content that deliver contextually appropriate and “realistic” statements for both player and NPC.

When I showed them what this will mean multipled across the number of encounters they plan for the offering, they pretty much curled up and sobbed (then immediately began looking at ways to cut complexity for initial release).

All of this to say that it isn’t hard to figure out “what is wanted”. It is hard to design something that delivers it without completely breaking the current game design mold and starting from scratch.

So far, no one has been willing to do so. But it will happen; likely sooner than later now that convergence of access and interest in realism is picking up across the board (e.g., cross-platform or even platform independent gaming, virtual reality sense-assist such as Ocular Rift, etc).

My guess is yet a decade or so away because gaming hasn’t paid much attention to the possibilities and parallels between things like business rules engines, semantic analysis engines, and gaming quest engines… or how these things can replace the need to design AI systems from the ground up. Things like StoryBricks, etc are a decent look at the birth of AIaaS offerings and I suspect that will bring complexity levels down over time. So I’m hopeful.

1 Like

Uh Men would probably best have women as some sort of low levelling out characters that mostly men use to slay past.

Not sure if troll or…

@phydra

Hope to interpret the meaning correctly (google trans)

Think the problem lies in the different age groups. While the developers are getting younger, the players are getting older, (which is in the nature of things). The horizon of imagination thus remains at a low level (no reproach) while the expectation of players with rising life experience (and knowledge extension) is constantly growing. Games are undisputed always nice - but long gone better, more demanding. In the Film industry the “determiner” for content have become old together with the audience, in the gaming industry, the few veterans have retired or have been replaced by younger, cheaper talent. But exactly these tinkerers would be needed to bring depth in games. Their imagination can not be learned or replaceable. As long as that is not understood, nothing will change.

1 Like

@specialsymbol Halfheartedly already, but an MMO approach that would make sense in this game would probably focus raids and player levelling on pillaging camps or attacking outposts. Women and children (as some men too) would make great leverage for determining the success or conquest of that raid. Surely they could be npc’s but of such a MMOgame the world would demand players specialized in control of those nonplayable characters. After all the determiner of any player’s true value would be determined by the wealth at their disposal. This is all hokey pokey though however @phydra introduced possible co-op support for the game which I think : might be a little more expandable then just that.

Most women that I know want the same thing I want in games. Deep meaningful games like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Star Citizen, Mount and Blade, Elite: Dangerous, etc.

Women and Men all want good games there is no doubt about this in my mind.

However I question what the Social Justice warriors over at Polygon and Kotaku want out of games…

Welcome to the Free Market where you get to choose your taste in things and not have to subject yourself to something you dont want!

Your questions of male taste and female taste in gaming is already known and accounted for, the majority of players in CoD are men yet there are acouple Professional All girls teams in CoD MLG. The majority of players on candycrush are females yet, men still play it.

To think that gender taste is what seperates the gaming scene or “culture” is a idealogy that stems from post-modern feminism and should not be subverted to places where it does not belong i.e Vidya, unless your making a game that is based on psuedo-political social strifes.

#1stworldproblems

1 Like