What makes people swear?

Continuing the discussions from Crudity Level: Too Much or Just Right?, Poll: Quality and length of dialogues and Profanity Filter Option.

What makes people swear?

It is not lack of education. Ironically, if you think that, it shows your ignorance. I repeat: people do not swear out of lack of education.

It is because of anger and frustration, sometimes surprise (as in “Oh, cr*p!”), rarely joy (mostly for comedic reasons), that people swear. Daniel Vavra, who has the equivalent of a high school diploma (more than a peasant of the Middle Ages), swears a lot on his Twitter page (or did so – I don’t remember the last time I have visited his “microblog”, but it was months ago). But let’s show this man some understanding: this game is a huge risk, so it’s no wonder he’s stressed. Ah, the price of fame…

So, Vavra (and Warhorse), your argument that peasants swear a lot because they’re “stupid” (not your exact wording but that’s how you, in your arrogance, view things), has no basis in reality. Go probably to any old-fashioned village in your country (not the ones with farms and where they have cable TV), and you’ll see that people there swear a lot less than in the city.

I haven’t met anyone so far who would swear on a constant, daily basis “for swearing’s sake”. It’s only the mean-spirited people (educated or not) who do that, and probably those suffering from Tourette syndrome.

This thread, does it have some roots? I don’t see any connection to anything here…

I have to ask you LynxR, why are you being such a prick? Any and all of your comments/topics have been nothing but egotistical and condescending towards other people.

but that’s how you, in your arrogance, view things

Start your adventure as the humble son of a blacksmith, who alone has survived the wrath of the mercenary army that mercilessly destroyed [his] home and murdered [his] family." Such an exposition would be more fitting for a children’s or young adult novel, comic magazine or a fairy tale,

Frankly, I would rather have the whole character development part thrown out the window, for one simple reason: it is completely unrealistic.

From what I’ve seen in videos and read on this forum: generously I would call it an “early beta”.

To my ears, “prosperous” simply sounds better. (Btw.: there’s no “and” in the written sentence and “unprosperous” is not widely used.)

But my cynicism is on high.

I do not need to be kind to people who try to tell me my business (you jumped in feet first to tell me about Bohemian history, I simply put you back in your place)

I respect them for that. I disagree with some pieces of it, but they did their homework

And yes, I’m expecting a snide remark.

1 Like

What makes you think WH has this viewpoint? Honestly can you show any examples where this is stated or implied.

This Fucking Guy.

1 Like

Oh, the irony.

1 Like

I know right? :smiley: I love it when people try to picture somebody, and dont realize that they are basically talking about themselves…

1 Like

@Dr.fusspuli I would appreciate you not censoring my posts.

I did not violate any forum rules. Editing my post without consent or reasonable cuase is pure censorship.

2 Likes

People like you.

2 Likes

And here is the advice from the Moderator,…

Please stay friedly and nice, all together!! :blush:

Some words are rude. It is therefore disagreeable to use them in movies or on television. Those who go against their own culture and get away with it deserve respect and are funny. Using swear words in movies or on television is therefore funny and respectworthy. Movies and television are seen by a great many people, so they are seen as somewhat official. Copying funny and respected people by going against one’s culture is funny. After all, if it wasn’t all right, it wouldn’t have been on television. Film directors are therefore masters of the culture of their people. Letting slip furious speech in cold blood is funny and cool and you should do it too. Those who don’t like it are weak, so weak that mere words hurt them. Like a drug, its effect lessens, and we must swear more often to get the high than when it first became funny and cool, perhaps in almost every sentence. Swearing is now polite speech, and sophisticated too. A single swear word can have a great many different meanings. Not being able to use swear words would leave people unable to properly express themselves, lamenting the poor people of the past who had to try to make them selves understood without swearing, and had to concoct and remember a multitude of different words for different meanings. Swear words, with their diverse meanings, can still be used rudely in rage. In the past it was much more common to get into fights, but now fights are very rare (and with the concept of dirty and clean fighting disappearing, dirty fighting is becoming normal fighting). Now that fists cannot be used as weapons, words are, and there is little legislation to prevent people from just speaking. If you cannot take a beating from words then you are weak. Linguists will tell you that whatever is said as part of language is a proper part of it. Languages are alive, they evolve and change, and should not stagnate. Once-rude speech is not actually rude anymore. It’s cool and funny, a source of amusement and laughs, a sign of strength, a medium of self-expression. It is modern. Those who disagree are just old-fashioned and not modern or cool. And it’s not like mass media invented swear words. They are ancient and venerable parts of ancient languages.

i used to swear for swaerings sake back in elementary and high (wow that was a while ago)

made me feel different