Why is the lockpicking not life like at all?

I know the lockpicking is being looked into for being tweeked, but i kind of wish this particular mini game would be scrapped all together for a new one. I to find the lockpicking to be very annoying, and tedious at best, but what truly annoys me is that the devs talk so much about how they want the game to be like real life and yet the lockpicking system is absolutely nothing like real life.

First off lockpicking takes time, and patience, something the mini game does not allow you to have, you must be quick or you lose.

Secon lockpicks were not even the main way of opening locks in this time period. This is mainly because lockpicks only really worked on certain types of locks, and even then the other two main methods were far more effective and universal. The two main methods for opening a lock were breaking them and using skeleton keys.

The increased shaking as you get near the end also doesnt fit at all, your hands dont just suddenly start shaking all over the place.

A far more realistic and interesting system could be made, one where you use sound and maybe some visual cues (rumbling for controllers would work, but this would leave out PC players). This is what you actually use when picking a lot, sound and feel, not sight.

At this point even oblivion had a more realistic lockpicking system, and that game gave you a magical inside view of the lock.

A far better system would actually be one that doesnt use lockpicks at all, but instead uses the two methods that were most common for the time. It could be a mixed system. When you first start out you have only the option of breaking locks, this can be a rather loud process so the mini game becomes about minimizing the amount of noise you make so that you dont alart the entire building that someone has broken into something. As you progress through the game you would begin to find skeleton keys, there would be multiple types to find if you want o be able to open basically any lock with them. The mini game then changes up a bit, you now have the option to try out the skeleton keys you have, you now must try and choose the correct key for the type of lock you are dealing with, however messing up will make some noise but more importantly it will waist some time (no actual timer, but it does wait your actual time, meaning someone might come along and catch you). A perk could even be added where you begin to notice certain markings on locks to help you as the player narrow down which skeleton key you should try. If it turns out you don’t have the correct skeleton key, then it is back to breaking the lock (or you could just break the lock from the start if you dont want to or need to try the more silent skeleton keys).

Such a system would be far more interesting to use, and would fit the time period far more accurately. You could even add in for soecial chests that there a a bunch of fack key holes on the chest, which was common practice back then. This practice was not so much meant to stop a theif, but rather it was meant to waist a large amount of their time so they would hopefully be caught. Though this could just be an interesting addition to the syatem i mentioned.

I dont expect these kind of changes to be made instantly, i know that there are many other issues that definitely take priority right now. Thisbisnjust something that me and at least some other feel should be add onto the list of things to do, it just doesn’t have to be at the top of that list by any means.

A more realistic and interesting system can fairly easily be made. Many have done it before with tumbler lock systems, and with just a little effort and creativity the same can be done for this time periods lock systems as well.

10 Likes

wow well written

So basically the Splinter Cell system? They had the exact system but you were able to see the locks inside, Skyrim actually has a very faint sound cue as to when youre in the sweet spot.

AliiusCrix; The skyrim system isnt terrible, but it was far to easy. It also lacked multiple tumblers which wouldnt be life like at all. Very easy locks could be a sinlge tumbler, but harder locks would have like 5 or 6, so if they went with the skyrim system it would need to be moddified. The skyrim system also lacks to up and down motion of trying to get the tumbler into postition, so that would also be an issue.

AliiusCrix, meant to say the skyrim system isnt terrible, cant seem to go back and edit posts, which also means i cant edit my soelling mistakes in my original post unfortunately.

I’m in agreement. I have also posted the same as this.

The systems in use in Risen and Fallout where good and in keeping with the time period they were in. They were well thought out and presented a challange that you could understand and wasn’t too difficult early on.

The design in this game is nasty looking and detracts from the game. It looks like it took little or no effort to come up with and they made it as difficult as they could to complete it to present a challenge. I’m sorry but this fails on all levels.

Locks for the 14th Century are incredibly simple but it’s not like you couldn’t at least design a better mini-game from them Take 5 mins to google 14th century locks and you will see that there are no tumblers you could use but this doesn’t mean you have to ignore them and make a dot rotate in a circle.

Could easily make the use of the right key (lockpick) a noisy action that could make people inside or around you aware of what your doing and make that the mini-game. Guessing which key/lockpick will do the job quietly. Could even add speed and time an issue as well the faster you go the noisier it is The slower the more chance you will get caught at it.

The whole Mini-game thing is “lacking imagination”

2 Likes

I agree…
vote + for the oblivion system

Yes you can the little Pen Icon at the bottom. The website does give a bad gateway result once in a while you just need to persevere.

Still the Splinter Cell system is the most “life like” but yeah 14th century locks were exceptionally simple, but there were so many different designs to them that lockpicking them wouldn’t actually work as you wouldnt have any idea as to what internal system it is using, if you wanted to pretend it was the current lock system used then Splinter Cell all the way, it’s quite simple make the lock non see trough with 5 levels of difficulty in tumblers, place 2 overlay boxes on the screen left one to present the stress youre placing on the lockpick and right one to represent the rumbling when you push the correct tumbler up and sound cues as to when the tumbler has locked into place to make it more difficult to do during rain.

However you need to be mindfull of everyone already bitching about the current lockpicking and how horribly difficult it is while I personally can unlock a Very Hard lock in about 8 seconds at most…

Cristari; found it thank you, that symbol along with the … for more options was not on my screen when i loaded this page originally. This website right now seems very buggy, especially on mobile. Many times pages seem to have issues loading, or have missing things.

Its really easy on xbox when you get the hang of it. Training lockpick to lvl 2 and after that its easy. Just open very easy and easy locks. The key to beat the lock is to think ahead where the golden sphere is gonna move next and turn the lock mechanism fast and not SLOW. Lvl 10 lockpick atm. Once you get the hang of it, its super easy. If enough members want a proof, i can record a video to youtube about how you do it.

1 Like

Again as i said the main issue is not so much the difficulty but rather the fact thav it isnt life like at all. This is especially bothersome in a game that is supposed to pride itself on being fairly realistic, and it would not have been hard to make at least a somewhat realistic lockpicking system. The whole system including the controls makes absolutely no sense for actually lock picking. It is also in no way an enjoyable mini game to play, doing it doesnt feel satisfying, it just feels annoying.

You are comparing the mechanic to your understanding of modern locks. This was discussed in depth during development. A mechanic with complex tumblers would be anachronistic.

3 Likes

Which game had the system where you have to attune several nodes in row down up with a lockpick and fix them in place?
Can’t remember the game, but this system was the best in gaming, imho

Oblivion.

^ Yes, that’s what I meant! :smiley:

Even without it being a tumbler lock system others have still stated the same thing, this system makes no sense.

Either way the system is inaccurate and makes little to no sense with how picking such locks would actually work. no matter the type of lock picking you are not on a timer, in fact it is just the opposite, as i said before you need time and patiance, something this terrible system does not allow for in any way.

It also makes no sense that we have this strange and frankly worthles inside view, lockpicking is about sound and feel, not about visual information. No matter the type of lock system this terrible lockpicking mini game does not work for it.

Practically no chance of them changing this, sadly.

At this point I agree.

It doesn’t stop me complaining about the poor “Abstract” design of the mini-game.

1 Like

Not so sure, the start of a games lifespan is typically when the most drastic changes are made to the game, especially when a particular system doesnt work. As time goes on is actually when it would become less and leas likely to change. Though to be fair it is a rather large change that many of us are asking for.

I wont be keeping my hopes up very high, but i will still keep my fingers crossed that they see the errors with this current system.

1 Like