Why is the Protagonist so ugly?

My point is that the main protagonist should be visualy interesting. And lot of people are getting annyoed by that.

Thats why I add “Your comment doesnt make sense even as whatsoever” ment even as sarcasm it doesnt have much sense as he obviously did not talked aggainst or about any of these things but rather about your specific suggestions that doesnt have to be best choice for others (Simon Templeman for me, for example, wouldnt be good choice for Henry
 rather for Batman) .

2 Likes

As to the ‘Voice acting’s along similar lines’ thing; what I meant was that as with the hair I want it to be as good as it can be from a technical perspective and also realistic in terms of dialogue (both regarding the period, i.e. how people would act at that time rather than exact dialect, and well-delivered, not overblown etc).

As for ‘interesting’ and ‘connecting with the character,’ I really do think that this is a matter of opinion. Not that the character shouldn’t be interesting or that you shouldn’t connect with him, but that whilst one person finds it easy to relate to one character and finds a certain look interesting, for another that would be a turn off and have the opposite effect. I think the debate in this thread pretty much confirms this.

Judging from your replies, I doubt I would hate your version of Henry as it sounds as though he would be roughly along the lines of the current model (or an existing NPC), though simply have some more distinguishing features. So, still realistic-looking and true to the period, yet more of an unusual/distinctive face. However I actually like that Henry is the way he is (technical issues aside); a relatively average looking guy. To me this is a breath of fresh air. Whilst a less distinctive look may not appeal to the masses as much, I think it’ll likely suit the game better.

Remember also that we’ll get to mould Henry to our own play-style, warrior, archer, thief or bard etc.; good, evil or somewhere in-between. With that in mind I don’t think it’d be wise to create a face that aligns itself too closely to any of these stereotypes. I find Henry’s face a good balance overall; realistic-looking, recognisable and yet not overly distinctive. For me it works; he’s not the chosen one, a knight or a king, just the son of a blacksmith. I suspect that hair/beard styles will alter his appearance a fair bit and when combined with armour/clothing should give a good range of looks for him.

1 Like

I like that you brought up his face because I think it’s one of the more recognizable ones.
As a protagonist however his character (that is expressed through face and voice) doesn’t fit. He’s too 
 laid back; his brows, eyes and corners of the mouth don’t show any tension and Henry needs tension - he’s an avenger.

Frodo was called Bingo before Tolkien decided that doesn’t fit into the setting. Indeed, sometimes big parts of the protagonist are changed in the last second. What’s given care to first is not always the same. Once it’s the language, once the atmosphere, once the setting, once the story, once the character.

Kickstarter was used as evidence that the game will sell. And all backers knew what they backed. Still don’t share your worries :blush:

You haven’t seen my weaponry trainer yet. He takes out five people before he’s even scratched. Skill level WILL rise with your level and I’m sure you’ll be able to win against 4-5 people.

Did you ever try archery in real life? Well, I did, for quite a time and did also shoot on living objects (with special arrows). It is damn hard. I tried in in the alpha and as your skill level increases it’s getting easier. I did quite enjoy it, also after having a bad day and not hitting anything got really flaming to try again and again until I was good again. I think it won’t be easy, but it will be fun.

666.470 unique downloads for the Realistic Needs and Diseases Mod for Skyrim. 162.869 unique downloads for iNeed, a similar mod adding hunger, thirst and so on. That makes 829.339 unique people who chose this playstyle in a very mainstream game.

Alchemy: You will choose if you go for this playstyle. Potions are not the same as in other games as that you just drink three health potions to get on your feet again. Since they work entirely differently from what we are used to we don’t know how mainstream will react.
For me - I like it, more since I have read medieval writings about alchemy, which were very interesting. I mean, bury some punch with eggs in a pile of dung until the eggs are fluid blood o.O The hell?

I’m actually not sure if it will be a mainstream game at all and honestly, they don’t need it to be one, as long as it reaches enough recognition to pay all the people and gaining the feeling of having achieved something :blush:

That’s actually a pretty good point there.
Hm, still I think for an avenger he should have this little bit of a “tiger” beneath. :tiger:

4 Likes

That is a respectable opinion.
Although I still think that Henry, as he is, is fine. There is many instance in life where your first stereotype (I’m not afraid to admit that I am shallow enough - or biologycally programmed to? - judge people after an eyeblink, simply because I need information to start with, however likely they are) does not match the “skin”. Big, brutally looking guys walk around us with tender hearts, and you know those skinny, calm guys, who do something, and then in the news everyone is shocked “I never thought that about him!”

In summary, I especially like that Henry is a man who was given a task - and not a task / stereotype what was given a body.

1 Like

Nope. He (whoever that is, at this point). Argued that the main character is just an average Joe, nothing intersting at all at him. And he liked that about it. Because it avoids those pesky game designer cliche’s I presume. Anothe mate, argued that/she rather plays blank slate character(like skyrim), than just another generic cliche Geralt/Sheppard. First this doesn’t make sense to me. Second, I advocate only for interesting design of the main character. For you will be watching him half of the game. That means, he needs to be visualy appealing in some way.

Apparently people, hate that notion. Because interesting character, apparently means “anime styled” character. As yet another helpfull soul pointed out to me here. And that is just stupid for obvious reasons. Hence my Sarcastic remark.

Well they will still work on Henry anyway. Who know how they change him, perhaps you’ll find him more appealing later on.
Also as some mentioned the voice acting and writing. I would not worry about that, the devs got behind them characters like Tommy Angelo from Mafia and that was quite a good character to me.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Lenin_CL.jpg

The facial structure and hair of men with goals, and trust me, they did not forget to shave.

probably a better comparison:

you know, when “men with goals” aren’t just lounging around having their portraits taken.

To start with, interesting characters generally don’t simply LOOK interesting, but they have character traits (read: not looks) that are interesting. In light of this, I find your argument weakened rather significantly due to the fact that - as far as I am aware - we are basing this discussion only on how Henry LOOKS in various short film clips. We haven’t had a chance to see if Henry is “interesting” yet, since we’ve only seen brief panning shots of Henry alternatively looking towards the camera, or off into the distance (or down at a wound after a battle :smile:).

Now, I will admit, I do really look forward for the next update, but I don’t spend a whole lot of time watching all the video’s that Warhorse posts. If there is something that would contribute to my understanding of this discussion, please, let me know :grinning: My current argument is, as it should be, based on my current understanding. I may be wrong.

1 Like

Loved The original Mafia. Tom Angelo wasn’t much of an character tho. Not fault of a game, as it was not really about him, as much as about the whole Mafia world.

We haven’t had a chance to see if Henry is “interesting” yet, since we’ve only seen brief panning shots of Henry alternatively looking towards the camera, or off into the distance (or down at a wound after a battle smile).

Aggree. I’m simply not overjoyed when I look at him. In his emotionless, non-animated state. But that’s just skeptic in me talking. I’m absolutely convinced it will look much better when fully mocapped and animated. But maybe 

I’m just advocating for interesting features, rather than average Joe look. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah the whole family was very interesting indeed. I remember that one moment when Salieri got pissed off and his speach how he want to cripple those bastards. One of my most powerful moments in gaming history.
I find the czech dubbing in this case kinda more pleasing, which is odd. Usually it is the other way around, but it might be due to the fact they used known actors for it.

You are Czech aren’t you. Because slavic language’s are really not pleasant to listen if you are English for example.

Oh yes I am. Sorry did not realize that would not be obvious. My mother tongue is indeed not that popular abroad haha. And myself I prefer to communicate in English wherever possible and listen to original voices in Movies. However in Mafia case the voiceover was very well done. Strangely enough I love Czech version of Simpsons but completely despise Czech Futurama. It comes down to the actor and translator choices who can kill the experience for you, or in rare cases enhance it to the point you love both (Red Dwarf being my favourite example which I watch original and czech)

1 Like

This is a personal taste not everyone shares that opinion.

I am American and I love the slavic names.

1 Like

I don’t care what kind of language the ladies speak as long as they are
 you know what I was about to say :smiley:

I aggree with you on all accounts. Red Dwarf has especially great voice acting in Czech.

Offcourse, but it’s a general rule. Czech language is hard, lots of č,ƙ,ď sounds. Which doesn’t exist in english for example. Which makes the listener not entirely comfortable.

Well i seem to have the exact opposite stance on this
 I in fact have always disliked how the main characters are always smooth/better looking than anyone else
 like Geralt of Rivia for example. It’d be nice if we got an average bloke once in a while. RELISM IS LOVE! REALISM IS LIFE!

1 Like