Witcher 3 PC downgrade

My friend,
I couldn’t agree with you more!
This is the usual comersial shit many developers do. Many “respected” developers…
I hate it and I hate them for being weak willed. How could you betray your work like this?!

If those stitty consoles couldn’t keep with PC, so be it - make a separate version for them. Don’t punish the better platform, punish the worse. The global decline in gaming since last decade IS because of consoles always keeping priority over PC - quick time events, autosaves, checkpoints, linear design, arcade gameplay, nonsense interface etc. etc.

Remember the difference between Morrowind and Skyrim and it will all reveal :smile:
Also, why did Rock$tar never published Red Dead Redeption (their best game IMO) for PC?
Because of piracy? NO - I know lot of people who pirated the game on both PS3 and Xbox360. Because of greed, that’s why! Because no one sane will play the game on consoles if it is available for PC. Because PC is a lot better and whatever next-next-next gen consoles they bring, PC will always be the better platform.

And for pity, devs have to downgrade because making a better separate PC version doesn’t suit their publishers, who are usually just some greedy ba$tards…

Remember same thing happened with Warhorse? They showed their demo around and no one wanted to support it because there aren’t naked girls with iron bras and there aren’t fairytale monsters in it… Those marketing guys, who are utmost to blame for this global gaming decline, are just some guys who aren’t even gamers themselves.

Sorry for the hate, but sometimes a man has to say what he has to say. I got tired of this “console” policy since ages and now another great game fails to it - just couln’t help myself.

2 Likes

There is big difference even between Oblivion and skyrim.
I must say that I adored inventory and overall UI of Oblivion. Especially the skill screen.
In comparison to skyrim that was a god tier UI.

Yeah, this is right.
But I meant Morrowind, not Oblivion, which is also better than Skyrim in many aspects.
Morrowind has ugly graphics (for today’s standard), has even worse battle system with automatic block and autocalculating hit probability. But the game was awesome because of it’s size and the way it was made - PC in mind for universe and interface, quest system non-linear with no quest markers, no level scaling, no arcade influence etc etc.
Morrowind with Skyrim graphics and real time direct battle system would’ve been the ultimate Bethesda RPG, but they will never do it. More, they try to stop those who want to do it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywind
:wink:

1 Like

I did not play Morrowind, it was then out of my thechnical grasp.
And later when my PC could run it it was already outdated game and for me unplayable as I was used to better gameplay.
Bu I do not doubt the quality of content.

1 Like

Didn’t realise how much they had downgraded to be honest . well they have by a lot clearly from that article .
But as I said I always take any trailer or "gameplay " graphics with a pinch of salt .

Yeah i understand where you’re coming from but it was very unexpected coming from the Witcher devs who had a very high reputation. I would expect this from say Ubisoft or EA.

The reasoning behind it is what pissed me off the most. The consoles couldn’t fucking handle it. So why don’t they make a separate version?
The PC community are their biggest fans and customers the witcher 2 only sold around 200,000 copies on console compared to the 3 million on PC.

I also wonder if Microsoft might have paid them to gimp the pc like with what happened with watch dogs.
Every damn Witcher trailer that has been coming out has had a little xbox logo in the corner.

They had been showing us game play footage since 2013 and when the actual game comes out looking way worse i would say thats false advertising and a down right shit thing to do.

1 Like

looks like the difference between real time global illumination and that fake grey lighting shit they use for all those trailers.

Im a console guy but seriously WHY DID THEY DO THAT? It makes me so mad. It must have been corporate desicion instead of developers. Idk how that stuff works.

1 Like

You should visit the link i posted. There is a comparison of the exact location in the game. It doesn’t have a fakey trailer look to it, it just looks damn good. Then the screen shot below shows what it looks like on ultra on pc. Not to mention people who have 780s are saying it runs like dog shit.

So it looks like we got stuck with another garbage console port. I would also like to mention that ive heard anyone bring this up on the Witcher forums or starting steam discussions about this are quickly silenced.

I find the whole practice very shaddy and its sad to see a once trusted developer pull things like this.

Well a microsoft logo appears in a lot of their advertisement and the Witcher 3 just happens to run much better on Xbox then it does on the PC or Ps4 (just a coincidence I’m sure). Sounds to me like watch dogs all over again.

So 2,5 hours into the game I ran into two freezes that forced me to shut down the game.

I run it with GTX 960 2GB and 12GB RAM
To run it smoothly I play it on medium settings and I still kinda feel that something is wrong, but that might be just me.

As far as the gameplay goes, I kinda like it, though fighting system is difficult for me as I cannot recognize when enemy is about to attack and so parrying and dodging is quite hard. Adding to this, camera get in the way of most fights and one or two enemies are hidden behind something (mostly you). But I guess when I get used to it I’ll be a killing machine.
I have seen some footages of people playing and it seems that they chosed tactics of madly pressing attack button, which I would like to avoid.

Also dubbing takes a lot from atmosphere of the world.

Lastly the world is big and beautiful (considering the downgrade) but I tend to get shortly stuck at some places and my horse stops when I try to run over a bridge, I guess he detects the edge of terrain.

Still I am forgiving player and I still expect to have at least some amount of fun.

2 Likes

Played about the same time. The game also freezes and sometimes I even had ground texture flickering… then I had found that the game automaticly set “borderless window mode” so I have change it (what tense it is damn, lol?) to fullscreen and its OK. Until I restart the game which sets it back. One time game loaded and then just return to the situation I was loading from (dead) and blocked entire menu.

I play on GTX770 2G, 8G RAM and had all maxed out at 25fps. Now I turned most things down for a one tick, turned off hair effect, to have 40.

I play on hardest difficulty and just smashing is suicide. Enemy will block and then counter attack. Which is what player shoud do… and dodge a lot obviously.
But yes, that camera is killing me - lost few fights thanks to it.

2 Likes

Well I play on second easiest difficulty and I am still struggling with fights.

I will look for fullscreen option when I get home, lets hope it helps.

This is exactly how I felt with it!
Back in the days my PC couldn’t run it on decent frame rate, so I kinda skipped it. Plus then I was not into the RPG genre very much.

Later, after I played Oblivion, I tried Morrowind. It was awesome game content wise, map wise, presentation wise and UI / Inventory wise. But as you said, it was already outdated by Oblivion’s combat system and action gameplay (not to mention graphics), which although being a little arcade, they were huge improvement over that old click-and-calculate style.

So I played Morrowind for some time (without finishing it) and in the end I didn’t had a desire to continue because of all the above things said. But still I remained in awe of those hardcore RPG mechanics which were later thrown away in Oblivion and Skyrim because of console priorities and “simplicity”.

My only hope and fear in gaming right now are for Warhorse. I hope they will keep their Kickstarter promises as valiantly as they could. And I fear that despite their promises they might actually dumb down KC:Deliverance because of those consoles… Keep my fingers crossed to avoid this :+1:

1 Like
4 Likes

I hate being a console peasant because I only have a shitty laptop that can run games from 5 years ago. But one day I will join the master race!

1 Like

Well I myself am not really that much against consoles unless they downgrade games for their sakes, which is happening and from that point I wholeheartedly hate it!

Anyway I did not meant to offend or insult any console peasa-… I mean… console player.
Just bit o’fun for me.

1 Like

You guys tried fucking around with the .ini file?

not really, did you?

Nope.

Might help some people turn it into something better.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=16899&game=The%20Witcher%20III&title=The%20Witcher%203:%20Wild%20Hunt%20PC%20Ini%20Config%20Visual%20Tweaks%20Guide

2 Likes

Crashing, freezing, bad performance terrible optimization. Well i think is confirmed CD project red said fuck you to pc players who were the ones who actually bought their games and stuck us with a shitty console port.

Anyone else getting tired of being shafted constantly?

Don’t be fooled by the its 1000 dollars. IF money is an issue for you i can link you budget builds. Of course you would have to build them yourself but its not as a scary and complicated as it sounds :wink: