//FIXED with latest patch 1.07// 1.4.3 Grass textures/ density has been downgraded. PS4 & Pro

If possible w CryEngine, shouldn’t then KCD compensate by Skyrim-ing for consoles? To invoke a movie title, seems like WH has pushed for a bridge too far

Skyrim used gamebryo engine… an inhouse engine not showcasing any particular strengths.

It worked and saved bethesda paying money out of house.
They used it for many titles- good for them.

Over time we tweaked it. PC release of Oblivion had all sorts ofnuser configs to makenuse of more ram and cpu power- we would have more ‘active cells’ around us…
But this wasnt how the game was written and added all sorts if issues.
Eg having more cells active around us had creatures far away fighting other creatures.
By the time Skyrim rolled around systems had grown in power and the size of the ‘cells’ that the game had loaded were considerably larger.
It still required load zones (open world is a hard genre to do!!) -so walking into a town would have the game close out what was loaded and load a new world (the city) -the game would give the city walls the player couldnt cross and the sense of the city living/existing in a ‘greater world’ was real enough. (Suspension of disbelief achieved)

Playing with mods, ‘open cities’ allows Skyrim players to walk from riverwood right into whiterun. The problem with this mod is allows players to bypass triggers at the cell start of towns. It also allows npslcs in towns to run outside and get caught in dragon fights etc…

KCD makes a base game doa bunch of things that not many other games are even trying.
In time they will have it all sorted-cryengine will then hopefully allow an easier to implement co-op mod by the nature of it being a fully capable engine.

I ran crysis when it fist came out (at ultra, albeit @720 res).
I loved the physics. I loved the vegetation; most importantly I loved the game world with no loading.
Whilst it might have had brief hiccups (eg saving)- it showed what the engine was capable of…

KCD delivers on an (unwritten) promise the games industry gave me over a decade ago - a medieval game done using cryengine.

The number of polygons and the size of the world are all considerably larger than what has been done before.

Larger worlds might exist and prettier graphics moght exist elsewhere, but not at the same time.
KCD is the biggest world with the most immersive graphical quality I have yet seen.

The only thing that kills a cpu more is destructible physics in large complex environments (eg battlefield 1).

If KCD had destructavle physics en masse (something not really needed except cannons sieging castles) it would be an order of magnitude harder again to render.

The present target makes perfect use of six-seven core cpus very well (consoles have eight but one is usually diabled to help yield and another might be left for the operating system)

The AI, the wind, the weather system, animal behaviours, heck just the animations and diversity in all the little things… KCD is the most impressive title I have seen in years. (Better than witcher with hairworkx)

Just having water flow the right direction (requires a mod in skyrim) with art assets that mirror a medieval working of said water physics is awesome.

Tge attention to detail and care is tremendous.
We can tell so much has been culled- so if even half of what they are sitting on gets reimplemented- tgis will be amazing.

I think as they optimise and get a handle on low powered consoles capabilities for this engine- a lot of reimplementation will happen.

Crysis is powerful. Rendering nature is hard (nothing made of triangles).
Crysis 2 made it to consoles only because the game world was chosen to allow for it.
They turned a jungle into a city. Building render much better out of triangles… allowing for much simpler objects that allowed the game engine to suceed on low powered parts.
Crysis 2 ran on low powered consoles.
The time is right for our ‘super powered consoles’ (yes xbone and ps4) to have a crack at it. With organic environments even…

2 Likes

So, if I’m reading correctly, you think the CPU load is manageable for consoles even though high.

My Skyrim-ing comment was to suggest dividing landscape of KCD into sectors/load zones for XB and PS4 as a way to reduce demand in one area (asset throughput processing) in order to enable uptick in another area … listening to you and other PC users seems like a balance. tilt the balance (maybe I got the tech wrong and that makes no sense). Nerfing KCD for consoles would adversely impact triggers and other stuff you mentioned but (theoretically) allow XB and PS4 to render Bohemia without rampant pop-ins, clipping resolution, FPS decline, etc

I think the game world has been designed from the ground up with certain ‘minimum sized’ cells.

Their optimisation so far has been to make the game vastly better use low powered hardware and the slight reduction in textures will have big pass on benefits to making it happen.

Consoles can do this game. It will simply be a game that sets a new standard for what present consoles CAN do.

Game makers have had it relatively easy for a few years now- all platforms having enough grunt for realising almost any project.
KCD is ambitious; its biggest bugbear that true for any game approaching reality… any immersion break snaps us into calling out errors- they remind us it is a game and not a real breathing world/ecosystem. Games with any amount of non belief in them (most games) -our mind makes the game world real. That mind is a forgiving one as it alr3ady is imagining making a fantasy world believable… and lets go all sorts of ‘niggles’.

like my PC. I admit going thru parts of towns now at 8 fps it isn’t quite as jerky.
BUT I WANT MORE!

1 Like

Same occurs to pc and i’ve tested a little bit and found out that the effect is gone if i switch my texture settings from high to medium (but not applying the change) and back to high.
After apply, my grass texture is like 1.4/.1/.2 and looks beatuiful again.
BUT if i quit the game and start it again, everything is ugly.

I’ve tested commands, reset of settings, steam verify, extracted and compared files.
But with more and more investigation i am sure it is something in the executable and dll
Maybe a cache problem?

interesting!
Can you make some screenshots/a video and send this bugreport to
support@kingdomcomerpg.com

Thank you!

I will do my best and will try to make a vid of it.

I had it today over several restarts- the game kept reserting to some defaukts and changing my settings.

I have found, multiple times, with previous updates - a need to keep reinforcing settings and a need to run around in game a bit.

Im on 1.4.3 now and see a few more speed optimisations thrown in.
1 or 2 is in direction of getting triangles to the screen asap. Ihave had two models render parts onto them in front of me (previously only ever once happened before-over hundreds of hours).
It all works much better though.

I couldnt really catch out model rendering into far distance on the main street of Skalitz over many ‘test runs’.
Something I could catch out at least 2/5 runs in all previous game builds.

It was noticably ‘more realistic’ for it.
The framerate low around the ‘first store’ is still there; as is the first corner store(s) in Rattay…
Fires flames around bathouse jolts ‘up’ at edge of middle distance render zone… it breaks immersion a little but reveals further tricks are being used for optimisation.

This is all good stuff. I too prefer not having graphics gimped; but the outcome is less framerate lows. For me the game did seem more fluid in latest build (1.4.3)

kk, but mine was not reset by the game itself. I did that myself.
The game was set by me to standard and everything was on medium settings.
I just put the texture setting of Medium on high, Loaded a save, Everything is nice, Saved the game, Finished it and started it again immediately, Loading the save and grass looks like ultra low lod objects that developers use for the end of a map.

Twice I have needed to set the 3 sliders at bottom of settings for them to stick.(1.4.3 had me doing it for all the graphics settings).

I just find those menus really quirky after each new update and recommend everybody to set settings thrice.

I hope thisbisnt a Playstation thread
Edit: of course it is- my apols. Not again.

Is my xbox a super duper xbox then? Cos i dont get the stutter

Does it have a racing stripe and extra bluetooth?

Thanks for fixing the textures WH!!!

1 Like

is it just me or those photos just have lighting differences

Hi zero. It’s because in this game clouds cast shadows over the ground. If you don’t see any diferences in texture quality then go check your eyes.

OK then I guess its just me :confused:

I think that was ironic from Cid. I don`t know why the title of this thread is FIXED!?

Hello Prost,
The main reason of this thread was a punctual downgrade caused by a bug introduced with 1.06 patch on PS4,PS4 pro and PC (v1.4.3) 2 months ago.

Just some types of vegetation like grass and alchemy herbs were affected. As you can see in the first post, there is a comparison of pictures between unpatched and patched version of the game depicting the problem.

If you suspect that many other textures has been periodically downgraded on the PS4 pro I’d suggest you to delete the game and reinstalling it with your internet conection off, start the game unpatched, take some screenshots (all you need to demostrate your theory) Then install the latest patch and take similar screenshots to make a comparison just like I did.

From my experience on standard PS4, many textures from different objects are represented in low quality under both game conditions: unpatched and patched, exaclty the same. This necessary means that no downgrade occurred, at least on my standard PS4. Sadly I don’t own a PS4 pro so I can not demostrate it by myself.

Even on PC there is a considerable amount of objects with low quality textures.
This is the price we must pay for playing it on consoles, PRO version should have received some more “love” though.

And yes, they fixed the problem with the grass and alchemy herbs, by returning them to its original state, wich is the main reason of this thread :wink:

Just spend some time (if you have it) on demostrating your theory and I’m sure WH will look into.

1 Like

XBox One Patch 1.5
The textures with this patch are acceptable to me and I’ll continue playing with this patch until I hear very positive things about a new one, especially that the textures haven’t be compromised for the sake of game play.
I’m still waiting.

But let me say something about resolution.
A friend has a PS4 Pro, and I watched a couple of his games last night, and I played a little Mortal Combat.
While the graphics for most people might be acceptable, I found the skin tones and textures dead. No life in these characters.
The third person combat and mechanics sucks and the story has no appeal to me. Wouldn’t buy.

But, he also had Far Cry 5.
Wow, the graphics had nothing to complain about, in my opinion.
They were everything I would expect from games made today.
Realism is what most gamers will come to expect, especially in the future.
If a games graphic realism falls short, many people who will come to expect realistic graphics, like myself,
Won’t buy the game or play it for very long, if the graphic realism isn’t there.
The story line of FC5 was also intriguing.
I just might make a trip to the gaming store this afternoon?
Like I need another game to burns the hours of my life away on?
Yeah, I probably do…