1st-Person Dialogue

Gals and lads, this time it’s the other way around.
I would like to have the option for 1st-person in dialogue.
If I want to see my character in 3rd-person I can still use the inventory screen.
Also in cutscenes it’s still 3rd-person.
Set default to 3rd-person and since it’s an option, no one gets hurt.

So, please, @warhorse, let me do dialogue in 1st-person as well. :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t see why they won’t have 1st person for dialogue, though I guess it could depend on whether they have any form of cut-scenes and how they articulate those scenes.

Did you watch the live stream video?

I mean this ^^
:wink:

Yeah, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be too hard to implement. But it does tend to sound a bit weird, when you’re inside a talking head, that isn’t yours.

yeah first person cut scenes sound cool!

1 Like

I agree in general that it would be nice to have an option to have 1 person dialogue but I doubt they will do that unless they change the dialogue system completely from the way it is now.

The dialogues are build up like the ones in Mass Effect or L.A. Noire. They are more like cutscenes. You aren’t just talking; your character is also doing gestures and activities (like swinging and examine the sword at the blacksmith) and does react on actions from dialogue partner.

OF COURSE it would be possible to implement that in a 1 person view as well. But I don’t thnk this is something they can just change now by clicking on a button and you see everything through the characters eyes as the scenes seem to be scripted apart from the normal walk-around-state. So although I would like to have the option as well I udon’t think they will change that at this point.

But maybe I am wrong. Don’t lapidate me, guys!

1 Like

Yeah - I’d love to have the entire game first person, including all cutscenes and dialogue, but it might be hard for them to do from a story telling perspective (given the way their handling the dialogue options).

That said - I think it could be possible, provided they think things through carefully - But I can’t see it ever being an option (to allow the player to choose either first or third person) as that would be an insane amount of work.

They apparently want to bring 3rd person through the back door because they know that first person has its limitations in cutscenes or at least they require much more thinking and clever staging…that makes the complete “immersion above all” concept kind of pointless.

So not cool.

There’s one thing I don’t like on these dialogues so far- the fact that they just freeze and world around them is still moving and living…I hope they will make everything freezed, not only people in these dialogues.

Not quite sure what you mean, would you mind explaining a little more?

I’m guessing you mean when the player is prompted to select an option.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Actually I like this because in real life the world moves on while you’re considering options (in a shop for example), why not here?

When he was talking to the guard two guys with flour bags passed by. I thought that was cool. Exactly the two guys he has overtaken a few moments before.

I talked about it in depth here: (Non-KCD) Better late than never

True, but it’s little bit weird when they are just standing without any movement for few minutes :D.

I see your point, and I really like Telltales solution in The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. I would just like to have a bit more time.

Minutes?
Then I would propose you should learn to decide faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not big deal…but if they add some animations to them (breathing etc) it would be a lot better.

He will have to. Warhorse said that dialogues will have a countdown anyway. :wink:

And of course the world should be moving on during dialogue. It’s not clever to talk to people in a dangerous area…

OK, got you. Thanks for the link. I agree with almost all you say, other than that third person view is generally a better fit for an RPG. As many RPGs focus on you as the player character (as opposed to a set in stone super hero or licensed character, such as the Witcher) I think first person is equally good and often better (Skyrim/Fallout for e.g.).

I do think that the game could be made fully first person, using as you say tricks and re-designs for the important story elements. Sure this is much harder for the studio (as otherwise it’s pure movie stuff, without limitations), but again as you say this is the advantage of games over films - Immersion and first hand interactivity as opposed to the voyeuristic hands-off approach.

IMO it would be worth the extra effort if possible to set the entire experience in first person. It’s a stretch goal I would certainly increase my pledge for (unlike playable miller’s daughter + big name actors for e.g…).

1 Like