A non-rant about KC:D - I do it My Way

Been thinking about writing this for a while. Mostly because I’m prone to jump into threads and sometimes help and sometimes be unhelpful by telling people they got it wrong.

I was introduced to KC:D by a collegue, who in a conversation about games told me that if I should try a new game it should be KC:D.
He told me it was full of bugs and pretty annoying at times, but I would enjoy it. And “by the way. You can only save once in a while”. This was way before “Save & Exit”.
So I bugged my wife for permission to buy it. I must have been a good boy, because she said yes.

So I started off on a quest. Went through all the conversations and saved whats-her-name from unspeakable horrors and eventually ended up at the millers place. Bugs? Oh yes. Fun? Oh yes.
Then I went around looking at stuff thinking about how much I loved the scenery. Very crisp. Very good. Hated figting because it was so different from my other games. In those you could point at something and pull the trigger (click left mouse) and they usually died after one shot because I am very good at headshots.
This game had you “hack” when you released the button. That was a very steep learning curve for me. Especially because I also played the other games in between.
But I got better.

Then there was a patch promising lots of new stuff and fixing some of my gripes.
So I had to restart my game. Which turned out to be a good thing because I had learned some stuff which made the second attempt so much more enjoyable. Not just because of the patch, but also because I had made some bad choices and was past the point where “I’m sorry” would work.
Second time was so much better. I had learned that some skills were great to learn very early on.
Using up precious game time by killing a few hours learning to fight, would be extremely beneficial for killing enemies later on.
Then I started enjoying the scenery and someone pointed out e_volumetricfog=1 and BAM! my world became a beautiful++ place when it used to be just beautiful. I also learned what settings worked for my pc.

Then there was a patch which would make the world work so much better. So I started all over again.
This time I learned the skills, trained and trained and wasted many hours on getting better.
Main Quest? Phaaa! It can wait. I’m in no hurry. The faster I finish main quest, the faster I have finished the game and the faster I will be left with only sidequests.

I learned to control my left click. Someone taught me how to map my mouse buttons better. Others taught me to pay attention to details which might seem trivial when encountered.

Now I have restarted for the fourth time. I have never gotten to infiltrate the monestary before. This round I’m just about to do so, but there are some things I have to do first.

I don’t use fast travel at all. I often travel back to Rattay for repairs and selling stuff at high prices. The streets at night are great for training on lockpicking.
I gallop once in a while for fun, but most often trot or simply walk. If I’m between trees I never trot or gallop. Wouldn’t do it in real life, why do it in-game?
I love travelling at night (don’t use potions to enhance eyesight) and I often let would be attackers off with a stern warning. Often they are just trying to get by in a cruel world. Only people with armour or gangs of more than three people get wiped out. Don’t like people who kill for a living.

I’ve found the joy of travelling off-piste and have found many interesting sites. Not least an awful lot of beds that let me sleep and save.

Tried showing the game to my brother-in-law the other day. Fast travelled to save time. It felt really really wrong. So I showed him another game instead.

I’ve almost left the Main Quest and am acting like cop-judge-executioner in my vision of what is right and wrong. I let some things slip by because as a beggar in a war torn area, you must do stuff to survive. Others I kill as soon as I realize they are conspiring to kill me. But only after I have gotten what I can from them through conversation.
I might have some sub quests slip through my hands because of it, but who cares?

I’ve noticed that in this rant I haven’t really touched on pop-ins and people who change clothes as I approach them.
That’s because it isn’t bad enough to bother me. It’s a game.
I have to live with no rain spilling off the roofs into the gutter. I can live with the occational person standing in the middle of a horse and it can be easily fixed with “Oh look. A squirrel”.
Clipping can sometimes occur, but it doesn’t really detract from MY game.

As I get too good with weapons and the fight become less of a problem, I’ve found myself not looking for choke points and just let them surround me. I’ve found myself using lesser weapons or allowing my armour to drop in quality. Sometimes I fistfight when they have axes.

I have a LOT of fun with this game.
But then again - I absolutely hated it when other games introduced endless waves of enemies in certain places to break up the endless “walk-find enemy-kill-find new enemy.”

Guess I’ll be a failure as a powergamer. But in this game I am bloody brilliant at roaming the countryside looking for damsels to save and bad dudes to harrass.

Sorry if I wasted your time.

8 Likes

Not a waste of time. We all appreciate those who take the time to share opinions, well at least I do.

I am on my fifth playthrough. Still discovering new things and places, that may be because I am horrible at this game or extremely slow, take your pick. It is an enjoyable game if you play at your pace, bugs, crashes and whatever.

The only sad part there are no damsels to save, perhaps in the future DLC.

2 Likes

There are very few games in my library that I replay. I primarily play a game for a good story; once I’ve finished, I tend to move on to the next. After all, there are dozens more games yet to be played.

This game, however, I know I will be coming back to again and again.

1 Like

Well. You meet a gang of neer-do-wells only minutes after you passed a young lady easy on the eyes.

Where do you think they were going to do unspeakable stuff?

Immersion. Roleplaying. Having fun.

And there is at least one damsel in distress - that kidnapped bathhouse lady from Sasau. And lady Stephanie is also in distress … well, a only a little and a delicate one, but distress all the same :slight_smile:

Cue the music and Frank Sinatra:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=lyrics+to+i+did+it+my+way&form=EDGNB2&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=7ec444a6d7b44418b4479ed45cfce8b8&sp=1&qs=SC&pq=lyric+to+i+did&sc=8-14&cvid=7ec444a6d7b44418b4479ed45cfce8b8&cc=US&setlang=en-US
:smile:

I tend to stick to certain games. Was given Horizon Zero Dawn and Rainbow Six Siege. Still in shrink wrap after months.

Seems like PS4 players aren’t having uniform performance issues. Anyhow, for me, the stuttering on my latest playthrough is tolerable but distracting enough that I’ve paused playing. Went back to FO4 which has a good number of definite flaws, but it has one huge advantage: you have control over home and those decisions thereof influence how easy or difficult the rest of the game is

I’ll be back for lover boy DLC. And, if the urge to be a horse archer resurfaces, it’ll be sooner than that

1 Like

I am interested in it but The Lord God Sony decrees that it exists only in his realm and I don’t go to his church.

The gaming dieties MS and Sony need a good solid thrashing for some of their decisions. I firmly believe it took threats of bailing on PS4 as a console for Sony to see the light and make mods available for FO4 and Skyrim. Seems Fortnite has their Sony moment now. Think Bethesda will have it again when they try and launch FO76

Really wish they supported plug and play federated systems. If they did I wouldn’t have to worry as much about hardware-related performance issues

2 Likes

True enough, but Esther the bathhouse maid is a side quest of a side quest and Lady Stephanie is distressed over a wedding and her life, and the old prostitute needing help, those are not really saving a damsel in the old fashion swash buckling sense.

For this game it will hafta do. BTW the old prostitute quest line ends in a vicious murder by her

I know. I wish there was more in the way in bringing her to justice or something It is a very unsettling ending for the “good” deeds Henry does for her.

Just reinforced the sayin: “no good deed goes unpunished” sadly

True enough. have great rest of your day.