A question about weapon damage [Solved]

Hello KC community! I have a question about one thing I’m not fully sure of, just started a new play through in which I wanted to try something different and play with a mace or axe with shield instead of long sword. There are so many options and I need to know one thing.

There are as we know different types of damage. Stab for stabbing attacks, and slash and blunt for swinging attacks. My question is for the weapons with both. I know that stabbing is a completely different attack, but am I right or wrong to assume that a weapon with say 30 Slash damage and 30 blunt damage does 60 damage with a swing (before damage reduction from enemy armor) and therefore is strongr than a weapon with say 40 slash and 15 blunt ? (meaning 55 damage) As an example we will say against an opponent without armor…

Thank you I’m advance for an help and replies I may receive.

You assume wrong. Slash is swing, it does not add up.

Blunt is swing too AFAIK. From my experience, warhammers (with good slash+blunt damage) are very effective weapons, albeit rather slow.

I would like to warn you first off that axe is completely broken in KCD as far as i’m concerned. It doesn’t matter if you spec in it. What also makes it worse is both mace and sword are incredibly OP and unfortunately the game doesn’t give you a reason not to use them. I won’t derail, I will only say that balance in KCD needs a complete overhaul. This is not a small problem. It’s why the early game is so difficult and then you reach a turning point in the game where you get a certain sword or mace that cheeses absolutely every enemy no matter what he is wearing. You basically just one shot everyone. I desperately hope this is addressed.

As far as your question goes I’m pretty sure that the damage numbers do not stack it just means that is the specific damage type it will do with that type of strike. That would be really twisted and confusing if they added the numbers like that and would be the first I’ve ever seen a video game work with a method like that.

2 Likes

[quote=“Slane, post:4, topic:62404, full:true”] I’m pretty sure that the damage numbers do not stack it just means that is the specific damage type it will do with that type of strike. That would be really twisted and confusing if they added the numbers like that and would be the first I’ve ever seen a video game work with a method like that.
[/quote]
But there are 3 types of damage (slash, blunt and stab) and just 2 types of strike (slash and stab). In my mind it makes perfect sense that big heavy swords inflict high slash damage + little blunt damage, and spiked maces inflict high slash damage + little slash damage.

1 Like

I assume they, the different damage modifiers, don’t stack. for instance, sir Radzig’s Sword dmg stats are 45/45/2. Respectively 45 dmg for a stabbing attack or 45 dmg for a slashing attack or 2 for a blunt attack. I don’t see the reasoning in adding all the values together. The blunt attack, I assume is a hit with the hilt of the sword.

How is it possible for a plain stab attack to do blunt and slashing damage? i admit its confusing and not straightforward. other weapons have slash and stab values which don’t “add” up. for instance, a common axe has a 1 stab value, but a 22 slash and 22 blunt damage. Maybe the blunt damage is a hit with the hilt or the unsharpened head of the axe? how does an axe even have a stab value is my question.

Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses, I had read them all when I had a few minutes at work the next day, but had forgotten to write back.

Heh, use best axe (the one with all 3 damages) and raubritters will fall like apples.

1 Like

For each type of attack the damage is calculated separately.
I’m not entirely sure, but I think that swing attack uses both slash and bludgeoning stats.

Damage depends on how many times the damage is higher than the armour, its ratio. So 55 vs 25 is more damage than 80 vs 40 even though the difference is only 30 compare to 40 in the latter.

Damage bellow the armour value only takes a bit of stamina so it is probably better to have one really high value, to be sure to get over that.

1 Like

The metal plated battle axe with the standby point definitely my favorite everyone says axes aren’t worth it but I’ve had quite a bit of fun with it

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know.