Any 2 handed weapons in game yet?

I’m looking for great sword or long axe…
anyone found that in the current version of the game?

2H Bow
1/2 Bastard sword.
1H Short sword.
1H Axe.
1H Mace.
OH Shield.
OH Torch.

That’s all there is right now. There was talk of polearms, and I saw them do a mocap of a crossbow, but nothing else in the current beta. There are also videos of dagger takedowns, but it’s unclear if the dagger is used for anything other than takedowns and killing blows on downed enemies.

There are also multiple versions of most weapons, with different stats and visual appearances too.

1 Like

Many thanks, I hope they add greatsword!

1 Like

I don’t know about any historical weapon which would belong to 15th century and could be called “greatsword”.

Zweihänders were used in that period?

Not at all. It belongs to early 16th century, when zweihänders were used mainly aginst pikemen. Their time in history of warfare was pretty short, I would say. Also they are very specific so I would simply call them by their name. Should we really establish some category like “greatsword” for them? Longswords are pretty good example of historical sword which is used mainly two-handed.

2 Likes

Really hoping for polearms to make it into the game! Give me a big halberd, with a long point for sticking and a nice axe head for slashing, and I will be happy!

1 Like

Polearms and/or spears please, I understand this type of weapon would have been common. As common if not more so on the battle field as a sword and shield for melee fighting ?

1 Like

Not that it’s proof or anything but the last blade on the list is from 12th - 13th century. That sword has a blade length of 43 inches which I would guess is starting to push it for 1h use?

1 Like

indeed beautiful example of 2 handed sword.

1 Like

By early 15th Century metallurgy in Europe had got so good that what were effectively ‘munitions grade’ swords could be made and were affordable for common soldiers. Of course, the high-end better quality swords were still the preserve of the rich, nobles and men-at-arms.

All that said, you are quite right, on the battlefield the sword was not the primary weapon of the knight or the foot soldier. That honour went to polearms like spears and poleaxes.

That still puts it in the appropriate size range of the longsword, which first began to appear during this time period. And the longsword IS primarily a two-handed sword.

Keep in mind the zweihänders generally fell outside the Oakeshott typologies altogether.

Not entirely sure what you’re getting at here. Never said it was a Zweihander.

The Zweihander as used by the Landesknechte were preceded by large blades designed for two-handed use called Grosser Messer, and they looked like huge sabers. They appeared before the tercio era of pike formation.

Larger, harder-hitting weapons were a response to more effective armor. The spear, which predates the Ice Age was still in use; By lancers in WW1 and pikes in the hands of Volunteers of the 1916 Irish Rebellion. It is far easier to forge a decent spearhead than a quality combat blade…and even easier to cast a mace or hammer, which would be far more effective against plate armor than a blade.

The era of King Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia ended with the Hussite Wars and the emergence of hand cannons, which heralded the rise of firearms and the gradual decline of armor in warfare.

Me? I can’t wait to use a hand cannon while defending a Wagenburg…

I can think of espadon, claymore, and grosses messer.

Longswords are the great swords.

1 Like