Any word on the dogs?

skyrim dogs are stupid, so that is their problem. there are ways to make a dog stay alive than to make it a damage sponge

I don’t think anyone disagrees that Skyrim dogs aren’t very bright. My point though was geared more towards Waldkauz’s comments. Historical accuracy and realism needs to be tempered by gameplay. I get attached to the dog and as my first post stated I do not want to continuously be loosing dogs.

I have no doubt that Warhorse will be able to balance it out and make the dogs useful. Their horses are certainly better than Skyrim’s. They have already succeeded where Clang failed and Daniel Vávra seems very aware of accuracy v.s. fun gameplay and the compromises that need to be made.

the onus is on the player as well to take care of the dogs as well. so waldkauz is not wrong to advise protective and cautionary measures when using dogs. it’s not some little pokemon monster that cannot die.

1 Like

I know that. I just want something that is balanced. Luckily KCD is not combat heavy like Skyrim so hopefully it shouldn’t be too big of a problem. All the animals in game can die however, so loosing a dog is likely going to happen at some point.

Caring for a dog would be great for an RPG. However do we yet know how the dogs will be implemented? If the dog requires caring for and feeding, will your horse also need this? What can they do and how much control over them will we have?

If we are going for realism then several breeds have a strong ‘kill drive’. What of the dogs used for hunting during this time period? I find it hard to believe they never attacked livestock. I have certainly had the neighbor’s dog kill some of mine (chickens & geese) and heard from other people of stray dogs (with collars and tags) breaking into rabbit hutches and killing the rabbits.

1 Like

I asked a while ago at the german forum, if the player has to maintain his horse by himself or pay someone to do the job.

The answer I got was, that they haven’t decided yet, but it seems to be unlikely.

I also tryed to get informed which dog races existed at this time in Bohemia. Unfortunately I have no clue. It seems to me that 600 years of breeding since 1403 has changed a lot and that a shepherd dog or a hunting dog was called so, if he did the job. The race wasn’t so important for common people.

A shepherd dog is trained not to kill a lamb. So if the dog gets enough food, it shouln’t be a problem in this case.

With a dog who is able to follow a track, it would be possible to make a few similar quests like in witcher 3 using the witcher senses. The difference is, the player has to follow the dog and couldn’t see a scent trail.

I actually did a thread on horse and dog breeds (technically types) of the era - Horse/Dog Breeds and Recommendations

1 Like

Dog will be a feature, not an NPC in a killable sort of way. Mor of a hunting mechanic, or something arround those lines.