Archery Bow Perks Idea ( Please Give Ideas) Devs Mods Please Consider

You know that there are other layers inside the helmet right? Compare it to a dinging bucket is wrong. As for the rest of the text, can you give me any reference to read myself about it? Because I can give you many many sources to validate by yourself why your point is so generalized and wrong.

You underestimate plate and shields, my friend. Arrows are not piercing plate unless it finds a very rare and lucky weakness and an arrow may well lodge in a shield, but it isn’t penetrating through let alone injuring the carrier. Remember, both of these were designed to protect the wearer from harm, archers most certainly included.

1 Like

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion
which commonly causes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausea.
Which is what I mean by ‘makes you wanna puke’.

Now of course this wouldn’t happen in 100% of arrowhits to the head but that’s pretty much the whole point of a perk isn’t it? Specializitaion!
But honestly, I just thought it was a neat idea for a utility based perk that doesn’t grant +%dmg.

Now for the penetrating capabilities of longbows
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow
There has been a plethora of testers testing a multitude of different arrows and armours in addition to a decent amount of historical citations of which I overall drew the conclusion that the right arrow shot from the right bow at the right angle can indeed pierce plate armour. The point however was whether it can pierce a ‘simple shield’ and wound the left arm which holds it. And that I would still postulate to be absolutely possible. Which, at least for me, would certainly warrant a perk.

You from America?

Those 2 links don’t point me precisely to 14-15 century combat and armors. Concussion could (I guess) happen from heavy blows of weaponry like longswords and maces on foot combat conditions but I doubt that it could happen from arrows (haven’t read anything specific yet about an event of concussion from arrow deflection). A concussion maybe could happen in jousting or falling from horse (which was the main target of bowmen against cavalry that consisted of armored riders) but still I’m not sure if concussions was something that could happen from that impact. People insisted on heavy armors against archers for a reason. Arrows were little to none dangerous against them. In lesser armors, we can’t care about things such as concussion because if the arrow destroys an armor, then wounds like concussion is the lesser of your problems and most of the times you would not been able to survive enough for this to be the case. Check this:

1 Like

The wikipedia article you linked states that a longbow would not have been able to penetrate plate unless it was the 1.2mm “minimum thickness” rubbish Mr Bane was testing on.

“Results against plate armour of “minimum thickness” (1.2mm) were similar to the coat of plates, in that the needle bodkin penetrated to a shallow depth, the other arrows not at all. In Bane’s view, the plate armour would have kept out all the arrows if thicker or worn with more padding.”

In fact, most of that wikipedia plage supports longbows not penetrating shields or plate unless maybe when shot from <10yrds away (not realistic distance).

Check this video of just how effective plate is against a point blank, 130lb English longbow.

2 Likes

See the problem is that I’m not disputing the effectiveness of high end armour such as shown in this video. I’m disputing the effectiveness of low-end shields and using armour as a reference. The article describes a 144lbs bow using heavy war shafts to be able to penetrate brigandine (not a full plate cuirass) quite easily. My speculation from that was that such an arrow could also penetrate a few cm’s of layered plywood

Now in this video at 3.54 you can see the guy shooting ‘not war arrows’ with a ‘not a war bow’ in ‘not a professional war archer’ fashion - and yet he still penetrates 13mm of layered wood + linen. So it seems entirely possible from my viewpoint that a professional archer of the time using a 140+ lbs war bow such as were found on the mary rose could penetrate a simple shield and wound the person holding it.

About the concussion part, its understandable that we don’t have any modern accounts on that subject. With that being said concussions are a common injury for riot policemen. The helmet would normally deflect an arrow sideways
but what if that did not happen? What if that arrow hit the perfect top of the helmets dome transferring all of its kinetic energy onto the helmet. I recon it would not penetrate but still leave the target shaking and nauseaus -which was the point of the perk.

Since we already got him in this thread I thought this was quite interesting.

Anyway imma go out of this discussion since it appears to be kinda fruitless cya.