Archery Bow Perks Idea ( Please Give Ideas) Devs Mods Please Consider

Fast Hands= Faster Draw Speed
Idle Hands= Less Swaying
Ranged Master= Additional Range before fall off
Pristine Feathers= Faster Arrow Flight
Profound Archer= 25% additional Damage

Different Arrow Types
Water Arrows= To put out Torches and Campfires from a Distance
Fire Arrows= Catch foe on Fire from afar, Or shoot into Wall, Ground, Tree etc for Light.

Im a straight archery thief, With my Nighteye Potion… Im dealy in the Dark. LOL, But seriously, I love the stealth, I always go the Stealth Archer in all games if possible. In this game, I wear nothing but cloth, The strongest Bow (Yew) along with better Piercing Arrows and Noble Short Sword. If you have ideas pls post them

2 Likes

a hidden blade
nothing is true everything is permitted :grin:

1 Like

Nice ideas, sadly I´m a consolplayer, ´cause my pc is shit, but anyways:

“Nightingale” = x% damage plus being in stealth or unnoticed
"Grandmaster" = u can shoot 2 arrows at once xD

2 Likes

Arrow types don’t work irl, so not in the game either.
The “ranged master” and “profound archer” also are not realistic.

Some perks that would work are:

• Calculating mind: automatically shoot higher if the target is further away.
  • Friendly fire: your arrows are less likely to hit allies, and if they do they’ll do less damage.
  • Stalker: If you are hidden while firing an arrow other enemies are less likely to see where it came from.
  • Staggering shot: Enemies will have a higher chance of staggering and they will be staggered longer on arrow impact.
  • Close combat archer: The closer you are the more likely you are to pierce an enemy’s shield or hit him through plate armour.

But I definitely agree that archery should have perks.

3 Likes

Agreed, also perks should be immersive and make sense. Archery is still very powerful tbh so I don’t see why it should get a damage perk.
Here are some ideas

• muscle memory I/II/III: faster ‘reload’ time, faster draw speed
  • heart shot: increased chance to cause bleeding on upper body hits
  • Kneecapper: Increased chance to cause crippling with leg hits
  • Resonation: Headshots against enemies with plate helmets cause them to lose morale
  • Blunt trauma: Hitting an enemy’s shield causes him to drop the shield and cripples the left arm
  • fight or flight: When your Bow is drawn, enemies lose morale and prefer to run for cover instead of attacking
  • Trickshot: Enemies can’t tell where your arrows are coming from
  • Eye to eye: Enemy archers get shaky hands when aiming at you causing them to miss more likely
  • Porcupine: Every arrow hit slows the opponent cumulatively
8 Likes

Neither these options are realistic except the first one which has coding problems. Since you don’t lock with bows and you have no cross hair you can’t make the game know when an enemy is far. Plus, that’s the reason we have long distance arrows. How your allies get less damaged. An arrow is an arrow. As for the third one, when an arrow pierces a tree for example, looking where the back side is pointed can give you the info of the direction it came from.

Isn’t a helmet supposed to protect your head? So if it is not pierced (which results in instant death) why would you lose morale from deflecting. The opposite is more likely to happen. Same for the shields. Your only mechanism as infantry to be protected against ranged weapons is a shield. Why that should be a reason to drop your shield and be crippled.

The crosshair may turn invisible, but it’s still there, so the enemy closest to the crosshair would be the target.
I see why missing allies would be unrealistic, but the enemy not knowing the direction isn’t so weird, in real life an enemy wouldn’t know where an arrow came from either most of the time since both it and the target would slide and bounce around (unless you hit a heavy inanimate object of course).
An arrow remains the same, but if it hits you in the heart you’ll be dead while you won’t even be bothered if it grazes you during combat, both are hits. [Insert “It’s just a flesh wound.”-meme.]

On topic of long range: I actually find long range easier than short range, but some people may find it easier if Henry keeps distance in mind instead of them having to do it.

I also didn’t say these would be what I’d like, I think these would be what others would find useful without being unrealistic or overpowered.

For static and scattered targets might work (still I doubt it because of the calculations) but when enemies are sticked together(trying to aim the archer behind the heavy armored dude will fuck it up because your cross hair can’t prioritize on demand without locking distant characters) or they run it’s going to mess the calculations for sure. By precalculating, when you release the arrow at that time given, enemies that run change directions and distance, sometimes those values are unpredictable(bumping or stuck in on other objects etc). It’s not that hard to predict and shot by mind and eye. More or less everybody has played a first person shooter which is harder to aim in advantage because of the fast paced moves. I wouldn’t change anything damage or target related to perks of archery. Maybe a perk that closes the left eye a bit(black or blurry the left side of the screen) , thus helping you find the center of the screen.

Dude, All you do is follow people around shooting their ideas down… Is that you in the photo? LMAO

Summarizing the plausible suggestions that have been made so far: (the devs can come up with whatever names they want)

faster draw speed
less arm sway
less arrow drop
faster projectile speed
increased damage (total, in close range, or while unseen)
enemy can’t tell where you’re shooting from, at least initially.
slow the enemy (movement and/or rate of return fire)
enemy likely to miss
better chance of inflicting specific conditions based on body part struck

I agree with most of these and will include them in my own list. However…
1 Arrow drop should be managed by the quality of the arrow and the player’s aiming height. That’s part of the challenge of archery in this game.
2 Increased damage based on proximity to the target is an inherent property of physics when it comes to archery. There’s no reason to have a perk that magically applies the laws of physics. But I admit, it would be nice if the game made more substantial allowances for said physics.
3 Slowing the enemy, or at least reducing their capacity for combat, is a system already in this game in the form of body part injuries. Instead of having a perk that makes these detriments more likely to occur, I would rather see the game have an announcement pop-up telling me when I’ve inflicted a specific type of damage or trauma on an enemy I’ve just struck.
4 Inflicting conditions such as bleed or cripple or daze is something that could be accomplished with a better variety of arrows. I have suggestions to the devs about this at the end of this post.

Following the most common format of a perk point being granted at “every third level-up, then again at 20”, here is my list. Let’s also remember the game’s caveat that using bows without a vambrace up until level 5 will cause harm to Henry.
3a Quick Fingers [faster draw speed]
3b Steady Hands [less arm sway]
6a Singing Strings [your release technique makes your arrows fly faster but at the cost of increased noise]
6b Whispering Winds [enemies’ ability to deduce your firing position is delayed by one shot. In other words, the first time you fire from any given position while undetected, they have no clue where you are.]
9a Point Blank (cannot be combined with “Hide and Seeker”) [You do double the final damage (post armor mitigation) on any enemy who is within 5 meters of you.]
9b Run and Gun (cannot be combined with “Firing Line”) [You can move faster while reloading your bow and arrows launched while in motion suffer less penalty to accuracy.]
9c Firing Line (cannot be combined with “Run and Gun”) [If you remain stationary (leeway of 2 meters) while shooting, a given enemy will suffer cumulatively greater damage from multiples of your arrow hits. This is based on historical accounts that military archers in a firing formation would stick their arrows in the ground for quicker access than pulling them from a quiver. The arrowheads would often pick up dirt and germs from the ground, thus increasing the likelihood of enemy survivors coming down with illnesses or diseases as a result of arrow wounds.]
9d Hide and Seeker (cannot be combined with “Point Blank”) [So long as you remain undetected, your arrows do increased (x1.5) damage.]
12a Intimidating Form [while you are wielding a bow, enemy archers are more likely to miss you]
12b Keen Eye [significantly increases the amount of camera zoom when the bow draw is held for a few seconds. This circumstantially increases your likelihood to hit, which makes this perk a counterpart to the preceding.]
12c Deadly Aim “Archery is no longer a guessing game. At this level of proficiency, you know exactly where your arrows are likely to strike.” [makes targeting reticle visible – because, FFS, I shouldn’t need to install a mod for this!]

I also saw some suggestions about perks that would give the player a better chance of inflicting specific conditions. Putting aside perks for a moment, I think this suggestion could be solved by an overhaul of the arrow selection in the game.
Currently, the arrows available in the game are simply variations on the two themes of more Stab damage or less arrow drop. I would like to see arrows that have different components (mostly arrowheads, but also different fletchings), and therefore are used to accomplish different meddlings with the opponent, just like navy sailing ships had different types of projectiles for their cannons.
…Examples:
1 One fletching would add stability, making the arrow much less likely to veer off from center; this accuracy would come at the cost of range due to the extra drag imparted by the extra feather(s). (This is very much what firing the Tournament arrows are like.) Another fletching could do the opposite: adding range (less arrow drop) at the cost of accuracy. Standard fletchings would be a compromise between the two.
2 Arrowheads could do a variety of things. The basic heads would be cheapest and would have no special function. Serrated heads would have an increased chance to cause bleeding. Sharper heads would have a better chance of piercing light armor. Tri-bladed tips would do more damage to wildlife game and have a greater chance of piercing heavy armor. Basic blunt tips (used by sanctioned game hunters in this era) would grant more wildlife game meat due to not damaging as much flesh on impact. Hardened blunt tips could have a greater chance of inflicting trauma (think: concussions) against heavily armored opponents. Et cetera.

The target closest to the crosshair at the time of your shot is really not hard to find, any movement of that person has nothing to do with the moment of the shot. So that’s a useless argument to make.
I’m not sure what you meant with that sentence about FPS games because the structure is completely messed up, but if you mean to say aiming is harder because a bullet is faster that makes no sense. So I guess that’s not what you meant and you just lack language skills.
Not altering damage with perks would be useless, because there are other perks that aren’t 100% realistic and the examples I’ve given are more than realistic enough for this game. It’s entirely possible that the same arrow, hitting the same target at the same speed at the same spot would bend differently inside the target, which could hit the lungs instead of the stomach, and that would lead to instant fatality instead of possible survival when taken care of properly.

And if we’re going to critique ideas: your is of lesser quality than any other here, no decent archer would close an eye in archery, a bow is not a gun with a scope. Especially at a distance you need both eyes to estimate the distance. You’ve probably never even held an actual bow irl or you’d not say that.

I speak my thoughts using arguments and not attacking others on sth irrelevant as you might try to do here, because some of us has actually sth to say on topics such as this. If you have something to say that proves the validity of what you say or even have a plausible scenario as to why things like “water arrows” fit into the game I’m happy to discuss it. If you have nothing to say beyond twaddle and have a problem with others that are speaking their opinions then please stay to your toys.

If you want to kill a guy for example at 90degrees you might need to aim at 94 degrees. At 94 degrees if there is another one, how would your crosshair prioritize a target among the closest and the far one (especially in more distant targets that need a curvature in aim). This is a more coding topic and automatic logic implementation that is hard to do without target lock. Also you seem to be absolute about eyes. There are people shooting with 2 eyes open, 1 slightly close and sometimes someone might wear blinder. See the final in women’s team of Rio Olympics, Russia VS Korea. Perova slightly closes an eye.Italy’s Mauro Nespoli does that too. There are archers that can’t shoot with both eyes. Happens with cross dominant eye archers.

Blinders? Nah.
And in tournaments you know the distance and location of the target, those people may as well shoot with both eyes closed and their hit wouldn’t be much worse.
Try taking a bow into a forest with targets set up by someone else at 20+ meters (variable distance) from the path, you wouldn’t hit anything with an eye closed, even if it’s just slightly closed.
Watch this video (whole video is interesting, but this part covers one-eyed aiming).
If you’re interested in actual archers watch this guy’s other videos or look up Emil Eriksson (he’s a horse-back archer).

1 Like

Debate the post not the poster please, a user’s avatar/photo is irrelevant to the discussion, unless it’s discussing my awesome English bulldog Astrid from my avatar which I’ll allow :wink:

1 Like

Will check, thanks. As for the closed eye, it’s because cross dominant eye archers have problems of blurriness and their eyes playing tricks. That’s why they prefer consistency than risk a playful sight, and choose that way of fixing it. For them shooting with one eye is the same more or less.

For the Cross Hairs, I put a small piece of yellow post it sticker on my TV, LOL I play in my living room…

I use this:

And have the PS button on my DS4 set to toggle it, obviously PC only.

Im on the PS4

A plate helmet is supposed to protect you from piercing hits, it does not protect your brain from the kinetic energy of any object applied to it though. The energy will be dispersed over the helmets area (which is how armor works basically) resulting in a vibrating piece of metal on your head. Taking a good hit on a helmet like that will make you wanna puke, disorient you and after a while you might even lose conciousness. Reducing enemy morale is just a decent way of portraying that effect. If you doubt that - put a bucket on your head and have a friend throw a rock at it…

As for the shield, I’m no archer but reasonably sure that an arrow that can pierce a metal plate can also pierce a few cm’s of layered wood, thus shields should be nowwhere near as effective against high end bows/arrows/archers. As it is right now a bandit with a leather jacket who hasn’t eaten for a week can block an armor piercing arrow - shot by an expert archer with a 40kg draw weight yew longbow and be like 'phew good thing I had my simple shield’
And no - you can’t block that without sustaining any kind of injury, crippling of the left arm seems like a very favourable outcome actually.

1 Like