Bow perk suggestions? Please contribute! Convince the dev's! :)

Respects to the original poster, IceKing, are at the bottom of this post.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR: If you believe the Combat skill Bow could benefit from some perks, as enjoyed by all other Combat skills, then please share your ideas about what you would like to see as Bow perks. All ideas are welcome, no matter how silly or imaginative or similar to other suggestions. With enough contribution and enthusiasm, hopefully the developers will take notice of our suggestions and decide to implement a perk system for Bow in the future.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR: debating whether or not idea contributors’ suggestions are realistic or viable. KC:D is a game built on explicitly defined principles of virtual reality with limited mechanisms for determining, telegraphing, and explaining what events may or have transpired in combat. It is up to the developers to decide which of our perk suggestions might work best within the limited toolsets and rulesets of THEIR game. It is the exclusive responsibility of the developers to decide if any of our suggestions have merit – we lowly forum member peons do not have that divine authority, so keep your balking nay-saying mouths shut, please and thank you. This thread is for ideas and ideas alone. Thank you for abiding.

…If you absolutely cannot tolerate your mind being assailed by ideas which shatter your concept of fun, then please feel free to start up a debate with as much flaming as you please SOMEWHERE ELSE. There are at least three other forum categories where you may set up your soap box: “Story & Setting”, “Combat system”, and “Off-topic”. Choose one, go there, whine and rant away, and leave the rest of us in peace. Thank you again.
Respects to IceKing:
The former thread which inspired this one here was posted a few days ago by IceKing. I thought the thread topic was brilliant and a very important contribution to the ongoing improvement and vitality of this game. The first several posts were on topic with the thread’s intention of sharing ideas. After these early posts, the thread completely devolved into debates about realism and plausibility of physics, as if any of us were alive 600 years ago to truly know what would have worked in every single possible instance of every conceivable weapon against every conceivable armor with every conceivable method of projectile launch from every conceivable angle of attack. That sort of debate is, #1, nonsensical and, #2, inapplicable to a virtual world game. #3, It was an insult and belittling of the thread’s original intent. I do not know yet if the KCD forums allow thread authors to block or flag inappropriate/irrelevant posts, but I will certainly endeavor to find out if this thread is not able to stay on topic. Let’s keep this present thread light, happy, enthusiastic, friendly, rich, and – most important – on topic. Thank you.

Here is IceKing’s original thread:

2 Likes

Here are some of the concepts that were introduced in the former thread.

faster draw speed
less arm sway
less arrow drop
faster projectile speed
increased damage (total, in close range, or while unseen)
enemy can’t tell where you’re shooting from, at least initially.
slow the enemy (movement and/or rate of return fire)
enemy likely to miss
better chance of inflicting specific conditions based on body part struck

I imagine the Bow skill following the most common format of a perk point being granted at “every third level-up, then again at 20”. Of course, the player should have a choice of which perk to invest in at each new perk-level, so here is my list:

3a Quick Fingers = faster draw speed
3b Steady Hands = less arm sway

6a Singing Strings = Your release technique makes your arrows fly faster but at the cost of increased noise.
6b Whispering Winds = Enemies’ ability to deduce your firing position is delayed by one shot. In other words, the first time you fire from any given position while undetected, they have no clue where you are.

9a Point Blank (cannot be combined with “Hide and Seeker”) = You do double the final damage (post armor mitigation) on any enemy who is within 5 meters of you.
9b Hide and Seeker (cannot be combined with “Point Blank”) = So long as you remain undetected, your arrows do increased (x1.5) damage.
9c Run and Gun (cannot be combined with “Firing Line”) = You can move faster while reloading your bow and arrows launched while in motion suffer less penalty to accuracy.
9d Firing Line (cannot be combined with “Run and Gun”) = If you remain stationary (leeway of maybe 2 meters) while shooting, a given enemy will suffer cumulatively greater damage from multiples of your arrow hits.
…9d My inspiration for this perk is based on historical accounts that military archers in a firing formation would stick their arrows in the ground for quicker access than pulling them from a quiver. The arrowheads would often pick up dirt and germs from the ground, thus increasing the likelihood of enemy survivors coming down with illnesses or diseases as a result of arrow wounds. But putting history aside, the simple fact of holding still and concentrating on a given target suggests to me that the archer would be able to inflict more damage by repeatedly attacking injured body parts, or just crippling an enemy that much more.

12a Intimidating Form = While you are wielding a bow, enemy archers are more likely to miss you.
12b Keen Eye = Significantly increases the amount of camera zoom when the bow draw is held for a few seconds. This circumstantially increases your likelihood to hit, which makes this perk a counterpart to the following.
12c Deadly Aim “Archery is no longer a guessing game. At this level of proficiency, you know exactly where your arrows are likely to strike.” = Makes targeting reticle visible. (would be a nice relief from having to use a mod)
…12c could be a level 15 solo perk instead.

1 Like

[quote=“Inter0, post:1, topic:51971”]
Fast Hands= Faster Draw Speed
Idle Hands= Less Swaying
Ranged Master**= Additional Range before fall off **
**Pristine Feathers= Faster Arrow Flight **
**Profound Archer= 25% additional Damage **
**Different Arrow Types **
**Water Arrows= To put out Torches and Campfires from a Distance **
**Fire Arrows= Catch foe on Fire from afar, Or shoot into Wall, Ground, Tree etc for Light. **
Im a straight archery thief, With my Nighteye Potion… Im dealy in the Dark. LOL, But seriously, I love the stealth, I always go the Stea…
[/quote]

Thanks

Fast Hands= Faster Draw Speed
Idle Hands= Less Swaying
Ranged Master= Additional Range before fall off
Pristine Feathers= Faster Arrow Flight
Profound Archer= 25% additional Damage
Different Arrow Types
Water Arrows= To put out Torches and Campfires from a Distance
Fire Arrows= Catch foe on Fire from afar, Or shoot into Wall, Ground, Tree etc for Light.

2 Likes

IceKing is my old account (I cannot remember email or password) But I believe the Bows should have some Perks

I’m not sure about that. You already get most of those effects when gaining experience with the bow anyway.

I can’t check ingame right now, but iirc, no other weapon have those kind of perks, you only get different combos with axe, mace and sword.

Special perks are for when you gain levels in player stats (strength, agility, speech, etc)