Archery perks, some ideas

Just a few ideas for discussion. Nothing set in stone. I was aiming for fun and interesting without ruining balance or making archery too easy.

Overdraw - You draw the arrow further than the norm, your stamina depletes faster when you hold the draw but you do +5-10% damage.

Hunter - You are in your element hunting in the woods, not fighting in the field. +1 stealth skill in woodland +1 bow skill in woodland. Bows make less noise when you fire them. Not compatible with military archer.

Military archer - your skills have been honed on the battlefield. +1 bow skill, +? piercing damage, +1 strength when using a bow. Not compatible with hunter.

Longbowman - Longbows are more steady, for longer at full draw, +? piercing damage when using Longbows. Not compatible with horse archer.

Horse archer - +? Bow skill when mounted, +30% draw speed when mounted. Not compatible with longbowman.

Scavenger - Your arrows are 50% less likely to break.

Ranger - You can craft basic hunting arrows when in woodland for the cost of 1 energy + 1 nutrition per arrow.

Fast flight - you have expertly tuned your arrows to fly faster. Increased arrow velocity over range (decreased energy loss), -5-10% damage. (damage loss is to balance fact that speed is tied to damage in engine)

Deadly tracker - You know where to shoot to make them bleed. +30% chance of making a target bleed -15% piercing damage. Targets leave a blood trail on ground for first minute of bleeding.

I am the night - Reduced bow noise at night. +1 stealth when using a bow at night. Increased weapon speed at night. The opposite effects during the day.

4 Likes

It should be the perk sth. like “Parthian shot” (for horse or bow) allowing you to shot from the horse full 180 degrees behind you like the Kumans historically did. :wink: (Now it is about 150 degrees)
parthia
cheers

Yeah seen them, they’re alright but not really a fan. My suggestions are for the game itself, not mod.

I agree there should be a perk tree for archery since it can be a major focus to certain character builds. Here are some of the perks I would like to see:

Quick draw - +30% draw speed - 20% power
Over draw +15% power - 10%draw speed (can not be combined with quick draw)
Combat Archery - +20% Draw speed for the first 3 arrows shoot during combat (3 arrows held in draw hand see video)
Horse Archery - Better aim while mounted and unable to shoot own horse
Stealth Shot - Being able to shoot while hidden with noise reduction and maybe a small bonus to power
Sharpe shooter - Improves aim and bow steadiness
Steady - Drawing the bow uses less stamina

Must watch

1 Like

Love the Crafting and stealth perk ideas. Not a fan of the passive buff style perks like +bleed or just passive aim enhancment, power buff. I think archery should stay skill based, but the perks should add cool mechanics and reward skill:

Pin in Place - Immobilized by shot to foot
Viscera - Gut shot always causes bleed
Penetration - Arrows penetrate wooden shields to damage arm
Out of Breath - Lung shot causes lethargy

Also some crafting + alchemy:
Acid arrows - eats through armor for DOT (too fantasy?)
Fire arrow - self explanatory
Marking arrows - paints target highly visible color

1 Like