Armor - Types and Wearing

If you look at these pictures, you can see how movement is impaired. Its because of the joints (shoulders and knees, for instance). Something might be in the way if you want to move your arm there.
The weight might be not much of a problem IF you are used to it. But that would take a lot of time!
And getting into your armor becomes harder the more straps are involved. And some will be in places you won’t be able to reach yourself! Fixating plate shoulders to your breastplate would be an example for that. Even if you have another person, you still need some time as you dont simply put it on, but it also has to be done correctly (not too tight, symmetrical, etc.)

It’s not that bad, the elbow and knee joints allow for a greater range of movement than your actual joints. The shoulder protection might overlap a little on cavalry models (pauldrons) but special foot models (Spaulders) allow a free range of movement.

The armor would weigh something in the range of 27-32 kg, which is not that much considering most overweight people carry that weight in fat 24/7.

1 Like

This is my friend Andrej, he is a very funny guy. Look how flexible he is in his new armour.

1 Like

Props to him, he has to be pretty fit :smiley:
But that would be logical if you are used to your armor.
Also, props for being German like me. ^^

armor is evenly distributed, they have load bearing straps. anyone can strap it on a move around without problem. agility and speed comes from experience.

True. The prabably biggest misconception about medieval armour is perhaps that most people don’t know that each armour was of course custom made for only one person. You couldn’t just wear the suit of plate armour from anyone else. The moment an armour really fits your body it becomes quite agile.

1 Like

Absolutely right - and that is the reason why it was so rare and expensive!
And also the reason why getting into armor takes so long.
For a shoulderpiece, for instance, you need a second person to close the straps.
Which brings up the question of how long it will take
(and if it might even take at least 1 other person) to get into armor.
I remember Skyrim, where plate armor even changed from male to female by one click…

when we get to 1400 plate armour are no longer rare and cheap helemts and breastplates was massproduced.
(in rather cheap iron, so a lot less able to take hits from arrows, axes and similar)
And when we are talking most types of leg armour and breastplates you can get it on by your self… and in a hurry if needed.

But yes, when we are talking the high quality full plate used by the rich. They where crafted to the person and would require help to get it on. But then the metal was way better, everything fittet proper and all the parts had a very specific ballance between material thicknesses and the need for protection.

I just Use heavy plate armor that i got from warhorse as plate male gets you the highest charisma overall. When i wanna steal or sneak i just take it off and only keep the boots pants and gambison

Agreed with above… coming from military myself, having worn kit… your body adapts to it. And today, people have a LOT of creature comforts… more than many like to admit. The time period being discussed here, a professional soldier would likely have been extremely fit and conditioned… not the “sculpted” types you see in movies, but just physically very strong and capable… the lifestyle would have demanded it even more than it does today.

EDIT: Afterthought… no disrespect meant to those who re-enact… but I don’t believe it to be an entirely accurate measure of what THOSE people could or could not do. For you it’s a hobby… for them it was a way of life. I think anyone in the modern day going up against a knight of that age, in full armor, would be in for one hell of a rude awakening. lol

2 Likes