Bad Animations

You still haven’t answerd that question.[quote=“WeeScot, post:20, topic:33895”]
I asked him some questions and instead of answering, he took off at 90 degrees and never looked back.
[/quote]

What your questions I haven’t answered?

Can you name a few examples of games that set the modern standards? I mean first person melee combat simulator with better animations and moves?

I wrote: "It SEEMS to me that Warhorse no longer gives a shit about feedback from the forums, but at least I tried."
I don’t if my egnlish i so bad, but thougt that from it it is obvious that this is my impresion not given fact. I cam be proven wrong, actually a hope to be proven wrong, if I knew that they don’t care I would not bother to post feedback.

So Mass Effect: Andromeda facial animations ar up the standarts, because there is not RPG sequel to famous franchise taking place in space with better facial animations?
And Kingdom Come is not first person melee combat simulator by the way.

1 Like

They “no longer give a shit about feedback” because this is not time for feedback. Nothing new is being added, no new features, no new ideas. They are even hard working on things that are quite normal when done, but very visible if not done. They can see by themselves what would deserve more polishing, and feedback like “your animations are bad” do not help at all. The only thing we can do now is let them work and hope for the best. I am sure that they are doing the best they can, and there is nothing more we can do to help. Just wait.

2 Likes

your point about strikes looking weak isn’t a problem of bad acting, it’s a result of your own ignorance. if anything, they telegraph the strikes too much for gameplay purposes. strikes should actually be lighting fast, look very swift. the reason those strikes look “weak” is because hollywood has conditioned people with their choreographed fighting that people need to swing a 3lb sword around like its a sledgehammer.

your most salient point is about transitional animations, which is one of the most difficult and time consuming in game development. one single transition could involve dozens of different animations which need to be blended together to look smooth. i can see why warhorse wanted to go the procedural route with this.

if they had rockstar’s money they could make blended transitional animations for everything like red dead, but they don’t.

I think my feedback was bit more than “your animations are bad”. I tried to be construcive and sugest things that can be imroved.
I know it is quite late I really don’t expect that all isues will be adressed. But slill there can be something done in few months. And even small changes can make huge difference.

2 Likes

I know how strike should look like (I’m intrested in HEMA for a long time) and real strikes don’t look week at all.
I mentioned that they needed to slow strikes down for the game and if you slow down strike it will be weak. So I sugested taht they should have compensate for it in acting.

There are two different things. I agree with your implication that there is no comparable game with a combat system like in KCD. I understand it is totaly diferent beast to make animations for physics based combat where every attack has its real-time calculated impact and reaction than to make animation for Skyrim-like combat where you have simple animation that is played for attack and another one that is played when you get hit. I actualy don’t have a problem with KCD combat animations, I even praised how they improved them in another thread.

However, then there are animations of movement of NPCs. Sliding without making steps, twitching, unnatural abrubt changes of direction, abrubt changes of stances, no fluidity, and more. These things have nothing to do with uniqueness of KCD and they are simply bad. If you want an example of a game that has animations that I called “modern standard” which are better than in KCD, you can pretty much pick random half-decent game in the last 5 years.

4 Likes

I know that your feedback was more detailed, but it does not matter. Feedback is not what they need now. These are technical things, and Dan Vávra is no newbie, I am sure he knows about it.

Mafia 2 has great animations even Operation Flashpoint has great natural looking animations and is nearly 20 years old game.

1 Like

In my opinion, a very beautiful add for the game, it can be some brutals and spectacular finish attack when enemies die. For example an amputation of an arm or the head.

Hellboy has spoken

5 Likes

Warhorse are not in any way a small studio (lately), and Zub never said the task is easy. Only that the task should be done. There are many things I don’t like in KCD development, but also many things I do like. So, in the end, I suppose we will judge by the quality of the final product. For sure, my expectations for the game are not as high as they used to be.

2 Likes

Witcher 3 also had tens of hours of dialogues. how did they do so well?

3 Likes

several times larger team and budget…

2 Likes

Witcher devs also had two previous games under their belt. You can see the huge improvements they made in animations, voice acting, and other things from 1-3. Hopefully we’ll see the same improvement from Warhorse.

2 Likes

Check this video!
They programmed a really cool and advanced dialogue animation system.

This is their key for a great game. Without this tool they never could finisch the game in this time and quality, no matter how much manpower and money they had.

For KCD2 WH will need something similar…

2 Likes

Witcher3 is third game by cd red projekt having big budget and large studio but kingdom come deliverance is first title by small studio and small budget compared to witcher3.if kingdom come deliverance is success financially we can expect much better warhorse studios upcoming titles

2 Likes

I am happy that Daniel Vávra has considered the feedback from community (or youtube comments on recently released trailer) about facial animations and they are working hard on it.

1 Like