Bascinets look dreadfull * Update:(Graphical explanation on the first post)

Round is hard to in computer games. Objects are drawn with triangles and polygons

polygons are not that big dude, and they managed round surfaces on things like the skullcap already.

1 Like

I just wish the aventails went over all the other layers. Not a big issue but would be historically accurate.

4 Likes

i wish they had more pigface types and less of the german and italian bascinets which i have never seen outside of this game before

this. technically, it can, but produces all manner of clipping.

3 Likes

Not trying to be snarky but perhaps you should look up the period of time for each to see where and when they were used/ more popular? and tell us for all our learning?

1 Like

yeah, those houndskulls are my favorite all time helmets. wish there were more.

Pentagonal houndskull is historical, but it would be nice to see different types.

4 Likes

agreed and thx for pointing out.

Unfortunately not just basinets look dreadful.
Most of the armour, weapons and clothes are very inaccurate, which is quite disappointing after all those claims about historical accuracy.

1 Like

What’s the functional significance of the discrepancies? Are they akin to T-34s showing up in a WWI game? Or, a WII game in which the Me 262s represent the lion’s share of the Luftwaffe? SA wearing SS uniforms? Or, something else?

1 Like

People just want to nitpick, I am a historian by profession and I would not be able to pinpoint what armour part should be in game and which one should not. The armour is perhaps not historically correct all the way, but it is correct enough to be in a game.

People need to understand that KCD is a game and not thesis of armour and weapons of the early 15th century.

5 Likes

Close enough in a game can be good enough.

2 Likes

1 Like

Some examples on that?

The problem is not that much about what should and shouldn’t be in the game, but how it looks. Sure you can call it nitpicking, but there is so many smaller or bigger details which are wrong, that in the end it gives wrong picture about how people looked. And that is the opposite what I thought this game wanted to achieve.

It is mostly similar to problems mentioned above about bassinets, mostly wrong shapes.
Example: breast plates are too long, should be thinner at the waist and more domed.

Few good examples in the first part of this video:

And this is an issue!? I have said before and I say again, I work as a historian and this game needs bug fixes way more than they need to rectify armour sizes etc…

And just to put some fuel onto the fire, historians do not have a 100% understanding of all the different armour types etc that existed during the KCD timeframe. We have quite much understanding but I am certain that most people, including me and my colleges think that the authenticity of the armour and weapons in this game is close enough to what Bohemia could have looked like.

2 Likes

The entire point of the thread is to point out the bad design of the bascinet. No one’s arguing that it should take precedence over bug fixes, but it would make the target audience (historical enthusiasts) happier if the glaringly bad models were fixed.

2 Likes

Thank you for the video, interesting watch!
I have to agree on most of what he sais, since the observations align with my own research of that period (happened to do a project on 1400 central germany). Especially the noble’s clothing are quite fantastical.

About the armor sizes - I do believe they had a hard time with the layer system and clipping issues, which caused helmets and armor to be larger than they’d originally be.
I’ll be having my own taste with that when the modding tools are out - planning do bring some Tacuinum Sanitatis clothes in game :blush:

2 Likes