Beta 1.0 Launcher Problems

Most users have been able to install after removing the cached installation files, and re-downloading the current installer.

Have you tried installing to a location other than the default - outside of the Programs folders is often more reliable.

I believe I speak for both me and the others affected when I say weā€™ve tried re-downloading the launcher several times. The launcher does not let us reinstall the game. After uninstalling the game and running a newly downloaded launcher the following occurs:

*A pop-up displays; saying our game is not activated.
*After clicking OK; the launcher displays and has fields for entering your credentials. You do so and-
*The launcher validates your account, checks for updates on itself, then the game, and says itā€™s up to date.
*When you click ā€˜start gameā€™ you get a pop-up saying "the system cannot find the specified file.

On subsequent runs the the launcher only does steps 3 and 4. The launcher creates a new Warhorse Studios folder in the same location your previous install was. The only things it then stores there are your account credentials as you can see in Alabieā€™s previous screenshot.

Where are the cached installation files you mention? All Iā€™ve been able to identify in User/AppData were some launcher log files but theyā€™re not in plain text so no help there. Care to elaborate on what makes installing the game outside the Programs folder more reliable?

Somewhere there will be a ā€¦/temp folder which contains the MSI and the cab files previously downloaded.
Also there may be some registry entries which tell the launcher. Iā€™ll have a look and see what is there once I get back in this evening.

Iā€™m pretty certain that your values will be different than mine (as I installed to S:\Warhorse\KCD, and Iā€™d be fairly confident that you placed it somewhere else. My temp folder was in S:\Temp (though I forget whether there was a subfolder or what it would have been called).

Can you give us a list of name from the files wich are to delete? I deleted many kdc files in temp folder, but there must be some leftā€¦
Its sad that there is no way to make a propper deinstallationā€¦
I feel likeā€¦

A complete list. No. I had a successful install as soon as I cleared the files downloaded from the first launcher.

There will be a launcher.exe (maybe more than one), then in one place youā€™ll have cab1.cab to cab5.cab, and an associated MSI. Donā€™t recall anything else, but these were removed after a successful installation. Sorry I canā€™t add much else, but I did have a block on the launcher as well, but resolved it at the time by locating and clearing the previously downloaded files.

I try to reinstall game. I removed the directory with game, clean registry, but when I run launcher.exe, it says that the latest version of game is installed.
If I click on ā€œPlayā€, it says that canā€™t run game.

Windows 10, version 1511, build 10586.218

Thanks for sharing your experience @Lieste. I did have the game installed in C:\Program Files (x86). A search from root of my C drive doesnā€™t find any .cab files created or modified after the beta released. Nothing looked like it belonged to KCD.

I did forget to mention some background in my previous post though. My first install was on a second drive (HDD, not my boot drive). I uninstalled it from there and installed it to my boot drive (an SSD) to try to get more performance. I then uninstalled it from the boot drive and am now having the same problem installing as the others.

I feel really dumb forgetting that first install. So the reinstall issue could be specific to installing to the boot drive/default location. Did you have a similar situation Lieste?

No. My first install was to the default path, with spaces, modified to be on S:\ rather than C:\Program Files.

This failed because of the missing cabinet file on day 1, and after updating the installer still failed.
I had previously found and tested the MSI in S:\Temp which reported a missing cabinet file (cab5.cab) which I had reported on day 1.

I think I must have had some trouble making it run because at some point I uninstalled the Beta and deleted all the temporary files and reinstalled on a shorter path (no spaces)
S:\Warhorse\KCD
This completed and the game has run well ever since. The Temporary files were removed after installation by the system. (AFAICR)

BTW, this is an x64 program, so shouldnā€™t be installed into (x86) as far as I am aware. This might cause some problems with support from the operating system. (Though I admit to being a bit hazy on the implicationsā€¦ it doesnā€™t look right though).

1 Like

You probably broke your Windows registry, can you please check this manual?

If you are having issues with the launcher, go to your Temp folder and send us a launcher log we can analyze and look into the issue :slight_smile: , the path should look something like this:

c:\Users\ username \AppData\Local\Temp\GameLauncher\ GameLauncher_20160323_131251_2507.log

Also please do note that in order to see the AppData folder, you need to have the ā€œShow hidden filesā€ enabled. You can also type %temp% in address bar to be redirected to the desired folder and save yourself some time.

The problem however is, if youā€™ve encountered various errors, the possibility is, you will have several logs in the mentioned folder. This is no problem, if the issue keeps, occurring - you simply reproduce it again and a new log will be created. If it however happened at some point in past and is not happening anymore, it will be hard to locate the right one in the sea of logs.

The log is also created, when you try to remove the program via Control Panel - Uninstall a program so if there are any issues with the launcher following this action, uninstall log created after this action would also be helpful.

Logs related to install/uninstall issues are however located at c:\Users\ username \AppData\Local\Temp\ and the name of the file goes like this: (KCD_Beta_Access_date_and_time.log) so in case of issues related to installing/uninstalling please do attach these.

Should you have any problems, do not hesitate to reply here or PM me.

@Yeathomas2 Hello, this is a known issue. It seems your windows is not up to date, you have to install Win7 SP1 at least.

@WH_JiriRydl
If you are refering to my issue, That link you shared does not mention fixing registry issues and KCD is not listed in my Programs and Features list.

@Alabie & @Hound
I uploaded a log file to bug #185 since I have the same issue.
http://support.kingdomcomerpg.com/issues/185

I also noticed there is a new version of the launcher which was signed April 20th. It has an uninstall button but it gives me an error pop-up saying it ā€œFailed to start the game uninstall process. Please contact support.ā€ The uninstall button is probably looking for an uninstaller that isnā€™t there for folk with bug #185.

Well, itā€™s not a real solution but I did resolve not being able to play a week ago. Simply downloaded the launcher and game on another machine(Windows tablet of all things) then copied all of the game files to my main machine.

Itā€™s a shame they programmed the launcher check for a registry entry instead of actual game filesā€¦I donā€™t do heavy coding but I canā€™t imagine that only checking the registry is a common and practical method for a program to make sure itā€™s all there.

Hi, I canā€™t launch the game due to the same error than Henbites (see here).
After I put my login and password, i have an error saying ā€œError Occurred While Validating Access: Exception has been thrown by the target of invocationā€.
I have bought the game yesterday, play about 1hour and the game crash at the sword training field.
Since I cannot return to the game.
I have read the following post but donā€™t find an answer to this problem.
Can you help me ?

Thanks

Aki

edit : Iā€™m using windows 10ā€¦ could be a source of trouble ?

I removed game yesterday and tried to install it again today but the dowloading was very slow and had to interrupt. Now after several hours I tried to install it again but cannot log in to launcher with my mail and password - why ? The pass and mail work on the website but the launcher mentiones there is some error while validating the access.GameLauncher_20160524_211342_1765968.log (2.0 KB)

same problem than you.
But I wrote a message 9 days ago without answerā€¦ hope youā€™ll be more lucky than me to catch attention from devā€¦

Okay, @todesreiter and @akimarus, we will need a launcher log from both of you. You will find it here:

c:\Users\ username \AppData\Local\Temp\GameLauncher\ GameLauncher_20160323_131251_2507.log
(Username and Number of Logfile will be different of course)

@akimarus, sorry, I missed this post somehow. If this happen again, please gain a bit more for our attention. We donĀ“t want to ignore you and especially your problems with the game.

Hi doctor;
Thanks for your reply.
Evenif I spoke about your long time for answer, I understand that you canā€™t see and answer to all requestā€¦ specially during a beta test.

So you will find my log, as resquested.

Aki
GameLauncher_20160514_135514_2294956.log (3.4 KB)
GameLauncher_20160522_095925_1158627.log (2.2 KB)

1 Like

here are the files
GameLauncher_20160524_211342_1765968.log (2.0 KB)

GameLauncher_20160524_085417_8452217.log (1.2 KB)

GameLauncher_20160523_215737_1376240.log (397 Bytes)

1 Like

Okay, thank you @akimarus and @todesreiter, our QA team is informed about your problem. They will take a look at the logfiles soon. We will be able to solve this problem for sure. :slight_smile: