[BUG] A friend in need

This quest is bugged. After I beat up Thomas a dialogue with Matthew and Fritz automatically triggers:
At the end of it I can choose or select an empty conversation spot, with no words in it. If I select it Henry starts rambling about Matthew and Fritz getting in troubles with somebody in the tavern, something that makes no sense and it’s completely disjointed from the A Friend in Need quest. If I try to talk to them before the fight with Thomas, this wordless conversation option does not appear. This conversation finished with the option (this time with regular words) of Henry that can let them off the hook or giving them “one more chance to behave” which again makes no sense with the current quest.

But that’s not all. After I found the scarf looting Thomas I persuade him to leave the city, then the quests updates to “Talk to Matthew”, but when I talk to Matthew there is no conversation about this, the quest ends instead. But the journal says that Frizt and Matthew are angry with me because I did not allow them to get their revenge with Thomas, something that instead happened. Moreover Matthew and Frizt leave town, the innkeeper in Ledetsko says that they are at the Glade inn now.

It makes no sense since I persuaded Thomas to leave and they should have been fine at the mill and Matthew wanted to court Jane. Instead they are angry at me now and they left, plus there’s the weird wordless conversation option that becomes available after beating up Thomas. I hope this gets fixed in 1.7 because the whole chain seems to be pretty broken and confusing to play.

PC? mods?, console? console type?, Patch #? we are not long distance mind readers.

Me: PC. I haven’t had your problems nor a selection that has Thomas leave the mill. I beat him up this time and got money from the 2 idiots and that was that. On to their next disaster.

PC, latest version (1.6)

no mods

My chain is broken now, thomas left and also matthew and fritz without talking to me

The only time I know when Thomas leaves the mill is to go to the fight area that fritz leads you to.
If you want to do this correct you may hafta go back enough saves and start over and pick up the game from there. Talk to fritz then Mathew . Insult the guy and and make arrangement for the fight. Do it & win and talk to those 2 idiots and get a reward. They leave the fight area and go back to the mill and you go where you want from there. Those 2 idiots then end up at the: Inn at the glade" place for the next hair brain scheme.

yea I did that already and after the fight the game just bugs out and the dialogue becomes inconsistent (empty wordless choice that makes no sense) and I can’t get the reward, the hint on top screen says to talk to Matthew but journal says that Frizt was angry that I did not give him the chance to get revenge (which is not true) and that they left town. Very confusing, especially the part with the wordless conversation choice which is disjointed to the current quest. No matter how many times I load back, the game just bugs out

Did you get the game from steam? GOG?. did you try the verify /repair function from one of them if you did? are you using a pre 1.6 saves? read here that can cause problems. If all this fails send a ticket into WHS support.

it’s a Steam game and yea the checksum is healthy. This is just a nasty bug that breaks the matt&fritz chain. One of the many that survived the sweep between patch 1.4.3 and 1.6, I posted it so dev can address this in 1.7

gotta be related to steam as I have GOG and never had your problems.

What are you talking about? Steam or GOG makes no difference, it’s a bug in the game, there were hundreds like this, some were fixed in 1.4.3, 1.5 and 1.6 patches, but a lot are still out there like this one and they break the quest chains.

I never had a problem with this quest and I am on PC and use GoG. Nor read about others with the same problem. Just you. send a ticket in. Or try reloading the game. Don’t use old saves.

some other problems like early rising off horses into the air, straws house , shaking when moving, villagers not going away and Johan not talking from Pestilence were fixed by patches. Others related to being on consoles. Related to specific systems parts IE. : Nivida ansel

The fact YOU did not have problems with this quest does not mean anything. If you look at the forum it’s full of bugs report on quests and for most of them I did not have these bugs, yet these bug exist. Even if I’m the only one reporting it it’s still a bug that needs to be fixed like any other, especially if it breaks the quest chain.