Can't find Control Map

Just bought the game and started playing the beta, but I can’t seem to find a keyboard map that indicates what the basic default controls are, for either PC or Console Controller.

Yes, by trial and error I was able to figure out the games uses a primitive AWSD movement for PC, C for crouch, M for map, but that’s it … I don’t know any of the other keys like how to draw/sheath a weapon, how to sprint, how to make my horse gallop, or how to rest.

p.s. Secondary question - I’ve only been playing a few hours, and I’m already tired of being forced to watch the same opening cinematic over and over again each time I wanna play or reload from crash … is there a way to bypass the cinematic, and skip straight to the continue/load menu ? If not, please consider adding one for players who’ve saved game at least once.

Under the Main Menu “Help”.

There are multiple pages with useful information on them all.

In game you get hints shown on screen (at the cursor or in the low bar) for most of the interactions, but the basics of how to equip weapons etc aren’t shown.

To equip a piece of armour or weapon in your inventory, mouse over it to preview and click to assign it to a slot. The equipped items have a rounded cross marker next to them.

You can have hard armour layered over soft, and can have a torch and weapon, shield and weapon, or torch alone, or weapon alone.
It is a requirement to have a torch out in town after dark, but an offence to have a drawn weapon, so you should ensure that when approaching a non-hostile village or encampment that you equip the torch and unequip the sword/axe.

Draw the torch or weapon(s) using ‘1’ and a bow (once you acquire one) with ‘2’ as a toggle. The torch can also be drawn “during” the mounting animation to give you a torch on horse back (it is put away if it is out before hand, and cannot be equipped once mounted at the moment).

1 Like

Thanks for the timely reply.

I’m probably one of the few people playing the game with some real world medieval combat experience (although it was all 20+ years ago in my case, with the Society of Creative Anachronism here in the USA).

Anyway, it looks like an interesting game, and the commitment to realism makes it doubly so for me.

Cheers.

BTW, props on being the first game I’ve played to have armor and underpadding have separate slots and uses. A good step in the direction of realism.

There are a few with bohurt experience, and more (including myself) with some exposure to blossfechten.
I’ve dabbled with sword and buckler, longsword, staff and rapier and dagger. The latter is significantly later than mediaeval and we use Meyer for it’s accessibility for longsword which introduces some stylistic differences to the early Lichtenaur styles and which doesn’t dwell too much on the harnessfechten options.

In the SCA I was primarily broadsword and shield (med round in my case), and longbow (mine was a 60#).

I have yet to see a game that gets many of the nuances of shield play right, for the various types of shields in use at a given time. Formation fighting yes to some degree, but 1 on 1 ? We’ll see. A lot of people don’t know shields are not exclusively defensive - they can also be used as a weapon - both the face and edges. :wink: