Can't seem to pull off a combo in combat

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or that my timing is just immensely off, I’ve played through the combat tutorial with both mouse and keyboard and gamepad (Xbox One controller) several times, and I just can’t seem to land a combo as described in the tutorial. The character either slashes way to slow to hit out of rhythm or just stops after 2 strikes (with full stamina).

Either way the combat direction accuracy with mouse and keyboard is way too hard in my opinion at the moment because of the camera movements, unless you’re very precise, hence the switch to the gamepad.

1 Like
  1. watch for your stamina
  2. you have to change the direction of the cut in mid-swing.Not after you land a hit, but WHILE you are striking.
    You cannot spam the combo like in Tekken. Take it slowly.

@ProkyBrambora, thanks for your reply.

Is it very hard to time it exactly right then?

Yes, combos are very difficult to accomplish.

I had 3hrs of arena fighting before I learned to get the timing right everytime. Just keep practicing!

1 Like

Well, for me, it was not so hard.
You just have to know what you are doing.

1 Like

Arena combat in general with the release of the latest update seemingly got exponentially harder. And not in a way that it was simply more difficult.

I was getting pummelled by the ‘beginner’ level dude literally every time, before Henry had even had time to move let alone draw his weapon. It was funny for like the first three times. After that, not so much.

I have to disagree on your final point though; I think once you do get going, M&K allows for greater accuracy and precision… Especially when slashing poor unsuspecting villagers :smile:

1 Like

Seems for me when the enemy is about to strike i get enough fps drop sometimes that he strikes me even when i press block :confused:

@Earl_Thorn I had the same problem in the arena with the beginner dude so I decided to get some more practice in the tutorial, but no luck with the combos. Is there a cue or something so you know when to queue up the follow up strike for the combo?

No, there’s not really any visual cues as such that I’ve noticed… it’s more based on timing, positioning, and available stamina as well obviously.

You just gotta keep at it, and eventually you’ll land the combos

Hopefully the beta will offer even more refined and polished combat mechanics, which should help alleviate some of the frustration :smile:

Yes combate is really hard, and i mean really hard, this system reminds me of a old game called “die by the sword” where you used your mouse to strike with your sword, it was fun at first but then you just wanted to hit your opponent and the system was way to complicated, so everyone became frustrated with it including me, that was why i add both “die by the sword” and “Severance - Blade of Darkness” but loved the latter much more, never finished DBTS but replayed Severance perhaps 20 times, start to finish, they were both third person tho. Btw for the ones that don’t know said game, Severance is a combo based game where depending on the weapon you use, the character you play with and the K&M keys plus directions you press you perform certain combos.

A video

Some of severance weapon combos

Wow Severance has really nice animations!

This system is not really usable in KC:D, but damn…

Yes it has, :slight_smile: that’s because they where motion captured from real sword fighting! (at the time where motion capture was totally new, hard and expensive REALLY expensive.

It has also a fantastic per pixel real time lighting and shadow system plus real physics, remember this is a 2001 game.

Cool! Never heard of those games :slightly_smiling:.

I’m very much looking forward to the beta of Kingdom Come Deliverance and I’m hoping it contains polished combat mechanics so that there can be no mistake that this game is going to be amazing, playable and fun in every aspect.

Because at the moment I’m afraid that combat is a bit too hard to grasp for casual players and that this will take a lot of fun out of the game. And since I can imagine that combat will be unavoidable in the story, it must be a gameplay mechanic that can be mastered by any player.

And of course a certain learning curve is acceptable, as long as the mechanics work as intended and as they’re described in the tutorial.

Hello,

I’m using Mouse and Keyboard and don’t know how to perform combos. I’ve read stuff about it. I’ve seen videos. It didn’t help.

I still don’t get, when do I have to perform what action.

1. Keep the left mouse button pressed all the time, while hitting and point with the mouse in the desired directions? Or klick just at the beginning, or with every combo direction?
  2. What if also other directions light up, when trying to combo?
  3. Is it more important to get all things done quickly or is it about being precise?
  4. When and how to start a combo? Most the sword be held in the first combo direction to start or can I start one whenever i want?

Hope you get answers because I would like a more detailed explanation of the mechanics too.

I do believe that the issues have to do with both the mechanics and the performance. If the mechanics require precise timing then the games performance had better be spot on. Right now it is not. In some fights I have had lag of over a minute - me sitting there looking at a guy winding up for over a minute - before action resumes. In most cases the lag is a fraction of a second to several seconds. I know that optimizations are coming so hopefully those will help.

One thing that I have to do that might help is is to be more patient with inputs. Go much, much slower. It might help the game if I give it less to process. Having said that, moving, swinging at the same time, aborting a cut to switch to a block are all natural things to do.

Try combos which start with stab (.) first. For example one combo is (i think, didnt play for a while) stab, stab, left strike, which is probably the easiest to make. If you can do this one succesfully with 90% success try others.

As for HOW to do it.
Well you start with SUCCESSFUL stab, chain in another stab (no holding, just clicking and the end of stab animation) and then when second stab is done you strike from left. If done correctly, all hits land and you have enough stamina, combo will perform.

Is there a list of all possible combos?

Better yet, is there a source of any detailed documentation? I’m very new to the game and wondering if I am missing something.

You can find them in your caracter skills tab IIRC, in the fencing section.

1 Like

Ok, I found out alone. You choose the first direction of the combo with your mouse, then click the mouse and hold it while you get the other needed directions. Doesn’t matter if additionally other directions are chosen. Be quick! It has to be done before the first strike really starts. And Combo is misleading: I’ve so far only seen that its always just one strike. I used cheatengine to slow the game down. That helped a lot.

Thats not combo, thats feint (? Oo) You start your swing in one direction and change it midstrike so you bypass enemy defense.
But true combo is series of strikes with very effective finishing move. Most visible combo is knockdown, I think its with longsword or with shield in arena, when the finishing strike looks like quick juke to enemy and then you knock him down on the ground. Another combo looks like two quick cuts right in the face (scarmaker), or there is disarm combo where you attack opponents hand, or do quick pommel strike with your sword. Believe me, you will recognize these when you see them.