Castles in game

If you’re going to visit castles in Europe I would highly suggest Alhambra, the last stand of the Moors in Europe.
It is in Spain, Andalusia, Granada I’ve been there myself it is quite impressing.

Of cause what you can see here is only some of the castle, there’s so much more to see there.

For more pictures: https://www.google.dk/search?q=alhambra&rlz=1C1TEUA_enDK491DK491&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=P0ETU5-RKom74ATMlIGYCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=775

2 Likes

beautiful, I can just go and visit …

I suppose so, since you have the King tier badge it should show that you have the necessary social status (wealth) to do it.

its holy roman empire so its could be beatiful to travel in italy and north germany like hansa-towns who might be chance to join hansa-trade-company?..

1 Like

I was in Spain this summer.
Granada and Ronda are the best cities out of some 20 we visited. Alhambra is picturesque!
Alcazaba in Almeria is great and also worth seeing. The city not so much.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Cordoba was a big letdown. The mosque/cathedral is fantastic but that’s all there is. I was there for just one day and night and it felt more than neccesary.

What about the two castles in the north (Stribrna Skalice & Talmberk)?

btw:
How do you pronounce Stribrna or Mrchojedy?
Do you put some vowels between the consonants (see Brno -> Brunn) or how does this work?

Oh… I guess I really misunderstood that video then.

Henry mentions Skalice (pronounced “Skallitz” in the video) as his village which was destroyed, so I imagine the castle there will have been destroyed as well. Not sure about Talmberk. Either way it looks like there’ll be quite enough castles for one 9km2 area…

Sorry, but I think I figured Skalice already.
I was more interested how to pronounce the words with “missing vowels”. :wink:

btw:
I didn’t recognize he was saying “Skalice” before because it was different than what I’ve expected.
But since you mentioned it, I watched the stream video again. In the stream video it sounds very anglicized (“a”) and the ending “e” was missing. That’s why I didn’t get it.

I found this and it’s like I thought it would sound:

Talmberk? I think just say it how it’s written.
a -> in British “can’t”
berk -> bear + “k”
My guess. :smile:

Yeah, I was replying more to the question about castles. I don’t really know anything about Czech pronunciation, unfortunately.

‘Talm’ rhymes with ‘psalm’ but the a is short.
‘Berk’ is as ‘Berg’ but the e is short.

Roughly

It’s interesting that you have a map. I’ve been discussing whether or not camping is necessary, over at

But I assumed that the players resting place was in the middle of a square map. Now I have the map, it would be interesting to see, what the average travelling distance/time to the nearest town is. Just to clarify: I’ll assume that you spend an equal amount of time at every point on the map. (roughly)

So here goes. First we have to translate the map into something we can work with. I since the area of the map is supposed to be 9 km2 I made an overlay grid of 3x3 and fitted it over the map.

Now we denote the coordinates of the towns ((0,0) is in the lower left):

• Strbrna Skalice (0.5, 2.8)
  • Talmberk (1.7, 2.2)
  • Mrchojedy (1.1, 2.0)
  • Samopse (0.75, 1.8)
  • Sazava (0.5, 1.35)
  • (Unnamed) (2.6, 1.1)
  • Ledecko (1.4, 1.0)
  • Vranik (0.3, 0.65)
  • Rataje (1.75, 0.3)

Next, we have to get a representation of the player. I generated n (5k) points randomly placed around the map. Now every point ‘finds’ the closest city, by calculating the length to every city and finding the smallest value.

We store these values in a parameter ‘D’. Now we find the average distance:

\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^nD(i)

Before we continue, I’d like to give a small presentation of what we have done:

This example uses a much smaller value of n, though (2k). The red points, are the exact locations we defined the towns at, and the blue lines represent, what town each point found as it’s closest.

And here with the original n-value.

The red points represent the positions, that are outside the average distance to a town.

Over a course of ten runs, I found the average distance to be:
0.47 km
With negligible uncertainty.
I also found the max distance to be:
1.49 km

In my older post I calculated the amount of time it would take to travel back. I’ll skip the calculations and just give you the results.

Average travel times:
thorse = 0:47 --gametime–> 00:15:40
trun = 2:49 --gametime–> 00:56:24
twalk = 5:38 --gametime–> 01:52:48

Max travel times:
thorse = 2:29 --gametime–> 00:49:40
trun = 8:56 --gametime–> 02:58:48
twalk = 17:52 --gametime–> 05:56:36

Tune in next time for road preferring and obstacles. I hope.

6 Likes

@Anzious Very impressive

Very good work!
But I didn’t make the map. Please, post your work in the map thread I linked in my previous post.

Unnamed = Neuhof, you can see it on the in-game map of the stream video (see map thread).

Why did you rotate the map?
And why did you use math coord system instead of a coord system used for computer graphics (origin of ordinates in the upper left corner)?

Real map:

Map of the game world (Act I):

Cant wait to play it

Does it matter? And when did the computer graphic use upper left corner? or you mean graphical applications such as photoshop/gimp?

And I think he used so he could use positive numbers.

When using upper left corner you still got positive numbers. :smile:

I’m glad you like it. :smiley:
I’ll be sure to post there.
rotated the map slightly to make it better fit in a square. I used a math coordinate system, because I am used to that (physics student), and I used matlab to plot the graphs. If I used an inverted y-axis I would have to translate the coordinates, so they would fit with the map, when I plotted them.

I also would recommend the french City of Carcasonne, plain beautiful.

This is a hard one to explain :smile: Let’s start with saying Czech can be read letter-by-letter with just a few rules. Unfortunately there are some diacritic marks (total 3 of them in Stribrna) which make wovel sound longer (this is case with “i” and “a”) or change the sound of consonant (this is case of first “r” in that word).

Stříbrná -> St (as in start) rzh (try to say r as in root and zh close together) ee (as in beet) br (as in brow) naa (as na in British pronunciation of nasty)

I’ll leave Mrchojedy alive for a moment :slight_smile: just saying “ch” is single sound as in Scottish loch.