Castles in game

Ok, i should have wrote “almost impossible”. I have never heard native english speaker to say czech “r” without english accent, but it doesn’t mean it’s not possible I guess. Also not many english speakers need to speak czech. :smile:

I wish you luck with that! Can’t wait to see it. Personally, I’m more into statistics and they don’t graph as prettily.

No problem. :smile:

I couldn’t find another word beginning with ‘mr’, though. Seems to be very rare.
There’s also no pronunciation example on forvo.com.

No, I’m not referring to transition between ‘mr’ and ‘rn’ alone, these were just conveniently at hand. These are just examples of a rather unusual way of throwing consonants together¹ and/or the absence of vowels in-between. I think in Polish are also words without vowels.
¹ unusual compared to other languages I know

As you also stated in your previous post, there are no such rules. Then maybe it’s just one of these things you “just know” as a native speaker, without thinking about it too much. Where foreign people might try to find a system to get a better grip on this. However, good to know that there isn’t a bunch of rules for this anyway.

I read about ‘r’ on Wiki. That’s why I included the Czech pronunciation table , because ‘r’ is “Alveolar trill” (whatever that means) in Czech in contrast to English where it’s something different (I don’t know :D). You can click on the little r at the end of my previous post, there is a link to some explanation, I think.

@BlueEyedGator @Anzious
Can you please continue the conversation in the map thread? :slight_smile:

Yep, I think that’s it.

and something special you might like :smile:

It’s not rare.

Ok, when I entered ‘mr’ only the English ‘Mr’ came up.

In the first file (Zababa) there I can’t hear it. But in the second one (MartinaZ) it’s very good to hear, it’s more like “marak” (very short ‘a’ of course).
:wink:

Hmmm using a bit of imagination, I can agree I guess. :smile:

Point well taken. Sorry for the unintended thread hijacking :blush: On topic though, I’ve found the pronunciation posts quite interesting too. I struggle with the multiple consonant, lack of vowel names and places.

I always dislike when there is only one way into towns, I think it would be very cool if there were a variety of ways to enter/use castles. Front gate (what if you are infamous/wanted), Climbing wall, bribing guard, sneaking in with crowd, very hard to find secret passage… Castles can provide so many options

I’m sure there are a multiple ways to enter a castle. They do have dungeons/secret passages, but castles are built around the sole concept of keeping people out. I think it would be unreasonably hard to climb the walls.

I think yes very hard for most people, but perhaps not impossible for a special type of character.
Maybe you are not a noble knight, but a assassin who watches the walls to figure out when the guards are out of the way to attempt a sneaky entrance

All you need is a good disguise and a story to back it up. No need to scale walls.

1 Like

Are there any English castles involved?

No, the game takes place in Bohemia, so only czech castles from area around Rataje are involved.

dont forget the vibrant R in berk :wink:
if pronounced in czech

Will Orlík nad Vltavou appear in the game? I have visited the castle so many times in my early years while staying at grannies! :smiley:

I think the scottish guys can say a proper czech R without any prrroblem. Also The name Stříbrná Skalice where there is specific letter with diacritics Ř usually renders impossible to pronounce correctly even for the guys, who has been living here for many years but did not born here. My grandma was italian and she has been living in Czech republic for 50 years yet she never learned Ř.

1 Like

Is it anything like German “Berg”? (except for the k of course)

“Its uh, duck in… uh rock.”

Duck in rock. Well I got my guild name!

Actually, even some native czechs can’t say R/Ř properly. :smile:

Nope. Germans predominantly use guttural R (vibres in throat) as far as I know. Just like French. We use alveoral R (vibres on tip of the tongue), just like Spaniards or Scots.