Cavalry Attacks

Well i was just thinking with cavalry and there mechanics and so on bare in mind there ability is there movement and speed, compared to ground forces.

What i find is in many strategy games using cavalry is pointless unless you are constantly clicking around focusing on them. due to the fact they stop moving and engage still.

Ingame i hope that Cavalry mounted AI don’t stop when they puncture enemy lines i want to see if the cavalry punches through a infantry line that it carries through and tries to come out the otherside and if they fail the turn back and try to find other openings.

Because the second a cavalry unit stop moving in melee its going to lose and be dismounted.

5 Likes

As you said: a stationary cavalryman is a dead cavalryman. That’s why in reality cavalry would never charge a mass of men that are well organized into more than two ranks. They got this wrong in Braveheart and in Total war games as well. But I trust they will get this right at Warhorse.

1 Like

Yea you normally go into the flanks or where the line is the weakest, i believe Alexander the Great won one battle that way, he saw an opening by baiting the enemy forces further away from the battle field. pinned them with missle fire and the spun past them and broke there lines.

Of course id say he is one of the best general’s to sacrifice running down the enemy general to turn his guard and himself round to go back and save his 2nd in command and his men

*their

Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but I couldn’t resist

4 Likes

Its fine :stuck_out_tongue: when i rapid post i normally don’t proof read it + dyslexia i get screwed by it all the time with their and there so anything else you would like to add to ?

Well I assume it’s hard to code a sense of fear or the psycho logic effect a cavalry charge has on people. But since the battle of courtrai 1302 it was proven that disciplined infantry when holding could repel even the heaviest cavalry.

Luckily this game is set before the widespread introduction of pikes so what you are suggesting might be possible.

I think fear of certain enemies and their weapons should be a part of this particular game. Many times it was fear of the weapon and not it’s destructive power that won battles.

Actually I think that, within battle, fear might be fairly realistically coded through attribute penalties. That might be a good idea too…

Leading a conroi of knights in a charge on an enemy’s rear would be the most beautiful thing in the world =)

@Treysceusec

-5 strength due to being hit in the arm
-10 stamina because you haven’t slept all month

That sort of stuff

(This post was in reply to Gabe’s posting about fear. (Still trying to get used to this forum mechanics.:))
Right. No stupid mass media, mostly mouth to mouth propaganda and reputation from stories which got with time more and more modified (like in the children game telephone), for dramatic reasons by traveling bards and for propaganda purposes by local rulers to call people to arms by appealing to fears, of course more or less slightly exaggerating. The enemy in our minds can be very powerful, especially in times were you had very little to no contact to the rest of the world and your imagination could easily run rampaging wild.

Exactly as @Dushin said. Somewhere under the hood there will be some kind of ‘ratings’ that are used in combat. That is how the hero will progress in ability throughout the game, his attributes will increase in relation to the NPC’s he encounters. That being so, since a soldier would be less effective in battle when terrified you could, I would think, represent that by making his ‘ratings’ drop while scared…

Haha, I guess logically that is what I said isn’t it… Good thing I’m not in charge of designing the combat…

I am more interested in what you will be able to do on a horse. Obviously to get from A to B. Mounted combat. How much manuverbility will you have in a fight? Can your horse deliver a power kick to try and injure the other horse/rider/footsolider. Can you kill horse’s to dismount the riders?

Oh I can just see a guy killing a horse with a two-handed sword. :smiley:

In essence yes, those millions of years taught us to avoid lone predators or aggressive herbivores not knights clad in iron carrying a 4 meter long iron tipped pole charging on you in close formation. Why do you think every successful army ever had their recruits drilled, from the ancients Greeks to the Vietnam conscripts in Full Metal Jacket.

@WildStallionDC
1: Depends on the breed of horse, the training, the saddle and the riding style
2: Horses generally only kick with their rear legs which kinda shows their primary instinct is to flee from an enemy and kick it while fleeing.

But they can kick, bite and such. The question is would you want to sit on either of these two horses when you are trying to attack other people on the ground or on the horse itself?

3: Killing a horse has always been a viable tactic against cavalry, some nations or peoples were even notorious “horse killers”

It’s kinda paradoxical.

Your instinct tells you to run but running from cavalry is what gets you killed.

On the other hand horses have an instinct that tells them not to run into a wall of people or a solid object. So a cavalry charge basically becomes a game of chicken. Both sides will have to try to do what their instinct tells them not to do.

It would be really great, if there were some perks bound to riding skill - i.e. I just got attacked by two foot cumans while riding my Kanthaka. I just missed the option to get the horse to rear up and kick the stupid in the face with the hardest hoof in the game.
Or make my horse swing his behind around and knock the other guy down, when he tried to circle me around.
Those are viable options and I know they can be taught to the real horse.

Since there is no horse training in game, I would love to see such perks when your riding skill increases.