Character Face Customization

Fine, but do you at least agree custom hair and beard/mustache would be fine?

doesn’t matter to me, but it is planned so i have no say anyway. it should be far easier to maintain quality and justify time/cost

This is sad - and as someone who really enjoys true RPGs, I probably won’t be playing this game. Thought I was going to be able to be a medieval knight in a medieval world. Knowing Henry is going to be under my pig-faced bascinet is a bit too much to bear for an actual roleplay experience.

Also to whoever retorted “Do you customize people in movies?”, I would propose you direct me to which movie you’ve watched that boasts a roleplaying experience and where I might acquire such grand art.

Mass Effect is roleplaying because you make shepard. The name means little to nothing. You even create Shepard’s backstory. So don’t give me that “set story” nonsense. My shepard character was a war hero who made sacrifices, operated from virtue, destroyed the shit outta some reapers, and had blonde freakin hair. Because I identified with those sorts of things, and that’s how I roleplayed that game.

If one day I wake up wanting to be henry and having black stubble and a bowl cut and a family tragedy then I might play this game. Until then, it’s far too much to wrap up in churburg plate and stuff a bascinet over.

So, let me get this straight…

You’re saying you’ve only ever played and enjoyed RPG’s where you’re able to customise the characters face?

Coz if that’s the case, then undoubtedly you’ve missed out on some pretty incredible role playing games.

4 Likes

You don’t choose your back story in many RPGs, baldurs gate for instance. It’s still hailed as one of the best.

2 Likes

Idk - i can’t agree. I can’t say for sure, how it is handled in KC:D, but in BioWare Games, even Mass Effect, i play myself or create a role which i play. Only because my Family name is set by the Game itself, it doesn’t mean i can’t play the role which i want to play. And the Choices which are given are much more than the most predefined Characters in such RPGs. At the State how much we now, KC:D is much more comparable to Witcher than Mass Effect. But the Skyrim Comparison seems strange to me.

/edit:
But, to understand my point. it wasn’t even a critique. I only want to clear something up. If i read here some Comments though, it make me bit sad. Roleplaying is based on Pen & Paper, and on Pen & Paper RPGs there were also some Pen&Paper Games were you play an predefined Character or where you built up your own Character. The same goes for Videogames. Roleplay-Games ground-core is that you have to play a Role. regardless if its an predefined character or an Character which you can create by yourself. Character-Creation is a small part in RPG-Genre, which means without it doesn’t make it less RPG, and with it, it isn’t 100% pure RPG. I can accept Opinions if some People say, they only play RPGs with Character-Creations because they prefer it that way. I’m okay with that, but to claim it as an Fact that an RPG is only a 100% RPG/Real RPG with an Character-Creator - sorrry but this isn’t even TRUE.

They’re the best IMO. My favorite games of all time are KOTOR 1 and 2, and Mass Effect 1/2/3 right behind that. After that comes Morrowind, then Oblivion. Then Mount and Blade 1/2. Then Dragon Age Origins. And then Fallout series. all in that order.

Because those were the only games that actually let me role play. I don’t doubt other people enjoy games differently than I do, but being assigned to characters has always been an immediate “no” for me for games, and I’ve played plenty of them, so don’t get me wrong. I seriously just can’t stand them because they fail to represent “RPG” in my mind entirely.

1 Like

so, let me get this straight: a Role Playing Game only lets you play a Role, when you can decide the appearance of the character? That’s like saying, that you can only act as Frodo in the Lord of the Rings films, when he is a black, fat, 2m tall woman or else it isn’t acting

1 Like

When you start defining “roleplaying” as literally playing the role of anything, then every damn game ever made is an RPG. please.

The gaming-world connotation for “RPG” means do what you want, be what you want, find your way, etc etc. Yes, when I play The Last of Us, I am “playing the role of the guy”, but it’s not an RPG. It’s an action game. -action-. Lord of the rings is not an RPG movie, if such a thing exists.

But however far into this we go, and I really won’t go much farther because it feels very apparent what an RPG is supposed to be, and what apologists are trying to say it is because Kingdome Come Deliverance went back on their word to implement character customization because of tech issues - however far we go, the fact remains that I aint playin it. Why did I feel the need to come here and say it? Because KC:D said it would have it and they changed their mind after kickstarting a big huge game.

I follow the project deeply way back before it was even announced and they have never promised main character visual creation.

1 Like

"A role-playing video game (commonly referred to as role-playing game or RPG, and in the past was also known as computer role-playing game or CRPG) is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a main character (or several adventuring party members) immersed in some well-defined world. Many role-playing video games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] (such as Dungeons & Dragons) and use much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. Other major similarities with pen-and-paper games include developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. The electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game
Not a single word about “character creation”, “being able to play as an anime girl”, “being the only black guy in all fucking europe”, “being older than you own father” or "the best looking character in the whole game"
there is simply NO NEED for character customization, since you have to be white, male, young and you have to look like you live there and not like you’re the main character of witcher, skyrim, mass effect, sims, naruto, one piece or Playboy - The Mansion

3 Likes

I respect your opinion, and you are most certainly entitled to it. But I completely disagree.

Some of my favourite RPG experiences have been had playing old school RPG’s with pre-set and predefined characters. Suikoden II, Breath of Fire III, FFVII & VIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Star Ocean, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Legend of Legaia, Wild Arms, Lunar

Man… the list goes on!!!

From the more familiar ones, I always absolutely loved Gothic series with their predefined hero and Witcher series aswell. And don´t even try to tell me that Gothic isn´t proper RPG :smiley:
Hell even best RPG of our era, Planescape torment has predefined hero, and it was absolutely perfect.

All need is relative. Clearly some people need customization of their character to feel that all important immersion some people talked about before. While the standard game won’t include much, or any, Henry customization, it should be one of the first mods people come up with. So if that means the game comes out just that little bit sooner, and everyone that wants to customize will be able to, I think that’s a win for everyone.

1 Like

We will probably soon be able to scan our own heads and mod ourselfs in :smiley:

[quote=“GingerFOX, post:30, topic:23609, full:true”]
I follow the project deeply way back before it was even announced and they have never promised main character visual creation.[/quote]
This is correct; they’ve made it clear from the start that you’re playing a pre-defined character with a specific background and appearance. At most, they said that players might be able to change their hairstyle, facial hair etc. (à la Witcher 3).

If it’s really so vital to your immersion that you get to play a blonde, or a sassy black woman with an afro, or whatever… well, that’s unfortunate, and you’ll probably have to pass up this game (or wait for the inevitable mods). But there are plenty of other games out there that will allow you to do that.

When people say “predefined character”, it’s easy to misconstrue that as his personality being set.

You’re still deciding his “character” (Definition: The mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual), just not his appearance or background. Those things don’t necessarily have to affect your actions moving forward.

I think in the context of this thread there isn’t really any ambiguity.

But it’s a fair point to make never the less.

The majority of peoples reference to a predefined character in this instance is directly relating to Henry’s predefined physical characteristics. Particularly his face, race, skin tone and colour, along with other physical characteristics such as hair and eye colour. *although as it’s been talked to previously, there may be scope within KCD to change hair styles, grow facial hair and the like.

How you approach various quests, dialogue options, the actions you do or don’t perform in game, will all work towards defining the type of “character” that your Henry is / becomes.

1 Like

i think some people just want to play as a moorish eunuch.

1 Like

When did they ever promise character creation? I can’t recall seeing that anywhere.