Character Face Customization

Its true this is not a MP game, but it is very good to have your personal character on the game and feel like it is you. Games like Skyrim have that and it made them greater.
Charcter customization is a big feature of rpg.

It is true that even the smallest ability to choose how your character looks like makes a game feel more customized and customization is crucial for rpgs to empathize. Personally Iā€™m sometimes happy when Iā€™m at least allowed to play my gender.

However, I understand why the developers decided for less. Theyā€™ve had a vision of an immersive, realistic RPG, but the ways in which they want to achieve that are very different and also ambitious.
The customization of personality, which is not present in a lot of rpgs or mmorpgs, for example. The diversity of how to solve quests, intelligent AI you can interact with and so on.

They are also heavily relying on scanned faces and face capture. If Henry was made with full face editing in mind, I think he would look quite different from the NPCs and thus catapult you out of the world again (immersion and stuff ^^).
It would be difficult to implement full customization not only technically, but also to retain the density of the solid world they created. So they probably wanted - and had to - spend more resources on their more innovative ways of doing the immersion thing.
And even as a customization fan I prefer a fleshed out AI of NPCs because THAT is what makes a world feel truly alive. :blush:

5 Likes

This is not about the topic. But, is this game a kind of sandbox and I can do whatever I want to or do I have to follow the story and then it ends?.
Thank you.

Oh, wait. I canĀ“t even choose my characters name? :disappointed:

Did you do any reading on this game before you made a forum account?

I just read this. I knew every other feature appart from this.

Iā€™m sure people will use mods to resolve some of the issues here :grinning:

Pleaseā€¦, mods are good, but donā€™t make your games waiting for the community to make modsā€¦
I mean just to choose you hair color, your name, and your eye colour (maybe another little selection more) and play; and if you want another hair, go to the barber!

PS: I think it is a good idea to have a donnation option on your website, but this is up tu you.

That is already a very different task. If you can freely choose a name for your character, it will most likely not be important for the game at all. Nobody will be able to call you by your name in the game. Thats why you are the ā€œDragonbornā€ in Skyrim, a nobody without a name, because there is no soundfile for it.
If you can choose a name, your character will be nameless in the game, and he will be more shallow. We donĀ“t want that, thats why you play as a fixed character.

1 Like

I know Iā€™m late but Iā€™ve only just found out about this game. I would very much like to customize my character. The video that shows how easy it is for developers to make a variety of characters makes me think it wouldnā€™t be too hard to implement a Character Creator or Editor for us. Maybe a barbershop?
Iā€™m not as concerned with names but I donā€™t like ā€œHenryā€.

For the people saying custom names are impossible because of all the recording, take a look at what Fallout 4 did. Granted Iā€™ve only heard one character say a chosen name but it did happen. What I prefer though and what I think would be an agreeable decision for everyone would be to follow Biowareā€™s footsteps and call the character by a title or last name. For example in Dragon Age Origins you are simply called the Warden which applies to both male an female characters. In DA2 you are called Hawke by those close to you and Champion by others. In DA: Inquisition you are called Herald or Inquisitor. No names necessary although some character are aware of your last name depending on the race you have chosen. In the Mass Effect Trilogy you are called by your last name Shepard or Commander or a combination of the two.

Or perhaps they could go with something like Fable had with a list of names you could buy or earn by doing certain things, i.e. Chicken Chaser.

So I think there are plenty of ways we can get a custom name into the game and still have NPCā€™s call us by a unique name or title.

1 Like

Everything youā€™re sayingā€¦ Iā€™m sorry to say, is not happening in this game. Like, literally everything youā€™ve mentioned.

KCD is a story revolving around a set protagonist in terms of his name, backstory and general look (race, ethnicity). We can customise clothing and perhaps hairstyle / facial hair. In addition to how we level and approach the game and itā€™s quests. But thatā€™s itā€¦ I suggest you review some legacy threads. Thereā€™s been SO much discussion around these types of topics over the years.

One word: Mods.

That is all.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Yeah but compare Fable, Dragon Age, Fallout or Skyrim to an Witcher Game. Even thought Bioware do an pretty amazing Work about Story and how you experience(due the Dialoge-Options), compared to Gerald of Riva even Sheppard isnā€™t nearly as fleshed out. And thatā€™s what People like you, who criticize this Aspect wonā€™t understand, even if we explain it over so many times. If you want an full-fleshed out Character, with Amazing Background Story, personality etc, it simply HAVE to be pre-defined. Yeah aspects like Armor&Hair is one thing for costumization - because thats something everyone of us can do as wlel. However we all are born as who we are, Name, Face, Ethnics, personality gathered how we grow up etc, thats what makes us all different from each other.

And KCD simply isnā€™t made to be played as an RPG where you create/costumization. Itā€™s meant like an RPG like Witcher - where you play the Role of an predefined Character ā€œHenryā€ which have itā€™s own traits, background and appearance.

fallout 4 and skyrim allow you to customize everything. they are objectively sub part rpg experiences.

witcher 3 and deus ex mankind divided do not allow you to do that, they are above par rpg experiences.

case closed.

Someone didnā€™t play fallout 4XD. ā€œCustomize everythingā€¦ Except for your background and emotions and massive parts of your personality, and the delivery of dialogue, as well as motivationsā€ Everything doe.

Also, ā€œobjectivelyā€ sub par? Objectively?=/ Really?

1 Like

Youā€™ve played it without patches?
It worked quite well! So good that a fan created a NoBeard Mod which is compatible to latest version

I understand why they opted to not have a fully customizable face as having a preset face allows for better facial animations and lip-syncing, however it would be cool if you could at least customize Henrys hair and facial hairstyles kind of like in The Witcher 3. At the very least it allows some level of customization.

3 Likes

I donā€™t care much about the name. It can stay Henry, thatā€™s fine. I do, however, care about the way the character looks. Call me vain, sure. In fact, if you call me vain, thatā€™s part of Ethavanā€™s personality. But I digress. No offense to the creators, but currently Henry looks like a total doof and I cannot seem to break the law when he looks like thatā€¦

As for the silly posts from Mass Effect, LOL. Yeah, letā€™s not point to that as an example of ALL GAMING CUSTOMIZATION! Thatā€™s a bit narrowā€¦

Not asking for Warhorse to do it, but even a mod would be great.

Who is ethavan?

2 Likes