City Performance

I am playing this game on my laptop with i5-7300hq (yes i know, i can’t build a pc at the moment, probably waiting for next gen) and i can play it with pretty much 40-60 FPS…in the woods. Once i enter the cities framerate dips to 15-30s (especially Rattay, I hate that city just because it’s such a performance hog). Someone maybe care to explain why is that happening? is it because NPC has super-intellegent AI that really takes up whole CPU workload? i don’t think so because…heck even skyrim i think has better flight or fight response to events that player do - murdering the whole city for example(in KCD many of them just standing there doing nothing).

I7 960 (HT Quad Core) @ 4.0ghz
nvidia 1060 6gb (+10% overclock)
12gb ddr3
SSD

Running 1080p resolution and every setting on ultra. i can get around 50fps when im out in the open fields with no a.i. around. 40-45fps in the forest with no a.i. around. If i go to any town, espescially Rattay, as soon A.I. pops into view those frames start to plummet and i get as low as 18fps standing in the middle of Rattay.

I’m pretty sure Daniel Vavra admitted on twitter recently that the CPU code is horribly optimized and the 1.3.4 and 1.4 patch will be optimizing CPU usage for PC.

Yeah the performance in towns is pretty awful. Such a shame really as the game runs fine in the wild. Hopefully it gets fixed, as stutter like this ruins the experience imo.

Had a heavy noticeable slow/sluggish when going through towns. I7 8700k 1070ti. Was very nice until newest update. Still running 50-60s though, just stutters in town.

There has been some massive CPU optimisation already (patch 1.3 and hotfixes/ PC)

Previously two cores would load the lionshare of primary game engine / core stuff (physics and texture streaming Iam told)… now there isn’t two cores fully loaded - it divides out nicely over all my cores.
Overclocking previously didn’t net me anything significant,… now Iturned my Overclocks off (still tweaked my ram to tighter timings as conversations load in .3 of a second).

So- optimisation for CPUs is happening.
True this game is the best CPU usage I have ever seen. First game Iown to make use of my six core/ twelve thread intel … (yay)

Now- with regards to framerate lows…
for people with systems like mine (above the minimum/recommended); we will see a few fixes in due time.
In the first town there is ONEBUILDING that dives framerate from my constant sixties. It has and always bombs my framerate. it is a glitchy room. Same as other locations in the game.
There are a few spots that just dive framerates irrlevant of the settings/PCused…
When people with 1080 tis are complaining about 20s frames per second moments- it is these areas of the game for most!
So- they will get identified and fixed. No brainer.
obviously the studio is pretty good at prioritising… optimisation isn’t their first directive at the moment (unless for consoles, yes?)

hard facts… 1.2.X ran at around 30% cpu usage on my system,… after 1.3.x I utilise ¬45%.
Game is better for it (things like lightning now flash/flicker fast enough; butterflies have the right amoung of flutter…)

1 Like

Graphics are produced on your graphics card, not your CPU. I have exchanged my old GTX 770 with a GTX 1050 TI due to burnout symptoms.
simply reduce your graphic settings. Especially torches will munch your fps

I suppose the thread bearers question then might relate to which graphic card is in his laptop?

My statements about cpu usage are relevant and the bugged game areas at present have specific bottlenecks.
This thread has had posters talk aboit artificial intelligence (cpu), and if the cpu cant keep up with imagining the game world ('envisaging’if you wish), the graphics card doesnt have anything to draw.

I agree than for most games for the last decade:being gpu bound was the general consensus. KCD is a very different beast. Open world games and streaming assets can be a cpu and bandwidth/ramspeed thing very easily. Getting open world ganes with high realism right is a task few (if any) have done…

Thisnis one of only a handful of games making use of more than four cores/threads… it uses six cores/twelve threads very well!

I suggest :

After 1.4.1 I have significantly worse performance in towns or during battles. 10 to 15 fps drops in average.

Been getting that as a rate more often than not in towns…sometimes jumps 21 fps. game does not like midrange systems and a resource hog.