Combat concerns

Yeah, like buhurts. But, it’s still fun. I’ve replayed beta a lot and had fun time. If not the lags on my PC, i would even play it right now.

Yes exactly! Like buhurt and battle of the nations. THAT is not a realistic battle. That is reenactment. Although it is tough as s*** But this is a GAME not real life, therefor dying and a sense of terror and chaos can be inplemented. IF they want to depict what it was like. But as i said, i think they have focused to much on hema and to little on realism, when it comes to battle immersion.

They wanted to show us not the real battles, the wanted to show us a closest thing to fencing of 15th century, as i understood right. And it looks almost like that(Almost).

I would definetly like some people screaming and what not.
As far as people taking hits to the face and living… Idk, devs said they are still balancing things. Actually I think proky said it.

1 Like

The game is still an RPG and features hitpoints. So while most attacks on uncovered head are quite deadly, it also depends on type of weapon, attack and your skills+stats.

1 Like

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the head.

Like Prince Henry at Shrewsbury. A full 12 years before he led the English forces at Agincourt as Henry V.

People like to forget that its a game, its a project which needs to be finished.
Let’s be honest people who are here telling you that everything will be wonderful even when they didnt saw any gameplay of that are little bit biassed because they are hyped.

But lets bring our hype little bit down, this cant be everything to everybody… people talk how they want that and that and that without that it will be the worst etc… Developers need to make choices about what they should cut out and what not, what is in their power to do and which parts they need to get rid of or they wont be able to finish it.

This game is huuuge system even stuff which seems to you as trivial can take months to add and then break the game, I do not expect this game to have everything what i want but i do trust developers that they made the right decision in order to get this game to us in the best possible form.

3 Likes

People are forgetting, that WH made great job and some cool mechanics. Also, they’re forgetting, that WH wanted to show us the closest thing to realistic fencing, not the M&B. I guess, they made a great job and i’m pleased. People just need to play a bit with this fighting system, to get the AI and its patterns and they will have a great time in the game with such a battle system.

Oh god… This is so true…

4 Likes

I completely agree with everything the OP has mentioned, but the other forum mebers here hope it will be improved from what we’ve seen in the BETA demo. We’ll just have to wait a couple of weeks to see the final product.

I develop stuff for factory assembly lines so i have mine fair experience with adding simple stuff and breaking whole system. For this reason mine expectation of this game are… chainded down to reality ground :smile:

Oh god, apparently I am not the only in this field…

Me: “Hey, I just activated that new feature you requested so we can just…”

Also me: “Oh, the factory is on fire”

3 Likes

Today five minutes before i went home i implemented new feature to our system. Of course it worked on development and on production it broke it all. Developers life is awesome mix of fear, adrenaline, curiosity and overtimes.

1 Like

My concern is not about various thing and stuff thst has to be added. My concern is, and i try again, that a game that prides itself on realism and has first person sword combat for the sake of immersion, should really have immersive battle sounds as well. I do not mean slashing and cutting sounds. I actually think the weapons and armor sounds a great and realistic. But WH showed us in a video how they tried out swords and war hammers on plate armor. They even went to the lenght of totally cutting up a pig with a sword. Talking about how sharp and dangerous it was. I have seen recent gameplay where a npc gets cut down, and lays on the ground. Not a sound, no screaming. I have seen small scale battles where npcs get killed. Not a sound. So what i am talking about is NOT something that is hard to add, and will destroy every line of code in the game as you guys seem to suggest. All i am talking about is an immersive sound scape. No squirting blood when you hit a plate armor, and some sort of reddish colour, blood that is, if you smack a guy in the face with a warhammer mace orsword or axe. It might be hard to add now, idk, but it should have been in the game from the beginning. Important part of a (realistic) battle. Even mount and blade warband had those features. Good battle sounds is a must in a game about medieval combat. And so is blood. If you make a reenactor simulator, or a sports fencing hema contest simulator, thoose features are not as important. But if you make a game about cutting people down with sharp weapons, blood in unprotected faces and some chaotic screaming is a pretty damn big thing for immersion.And it seems to be lacking. All i am saying. :wink:

1 Like

You make it sound like screaming and blood features in a game is an unrealisticly hard feature to implement in a game??? So what kind of magic did they use in ALL other games that include fighting?

1 Like

I am not expecting them to add thoose features. I am saying they should have thought about it when recording every other sound and when they made blood splatter from sword hits.

They probably DO show us the closest thing to real fencing. But i should think that someone who gets slashed in the face with a sword would make SOME kind of a noise, and bleed a bit maybe…? Close to real fencing yes, but a long way from the reality of medieval combat and the immersion of being part of a real battle.

And to END this discussion… I really look forward to this game. I surely do. It seems like a reaaalllyyy good game with lots of cool rpg features, beautyfull landscapes true to life villages with lots of details, nice armors and realistic fencing. I really do look forward to it. But my critique is not off, it is not invalid and it is not something unrealisticly totally out there thing to have in a game. But forums like this, ofcourse, is full of fanboys protecting their game from each and every critique, no matter how valid it may be. I hope you guys will enjoy the game when it releases. I sure will. :grin: