Combat tips / Mystery knight

Please give me some combat tips , because I absolutely get destroyed in some of my fights. I’ve never found a middle ground in this game. Either opponents are entirely too easy and die after one combination, or I’m fighting opponents that get in 6 blows before I can even raise my shield.

I’m doing the mission where I have to chase after the mystery knight on horse, and fight him (I guess). I’ve tried with a mace, axe, sword and bow. All are level 8 or higher. I’ve landed 5 or 6 arrows on the guy and he still doesn’t go down. He’s just chasing after me with a bunch of arrows sticking out of him from every limb and orifice. I’ve watched videos of people playing this mission and he gives up after 2 hits or 2 arrows for them. Why is it so much harder for me? I don’t believe I’m playing on a harder game mode, because I usually pick whatever is in the middle first.

I don’t understand the combat system at all. When I train , I’m constantly being praised by the trainer for following instructions and being a bad ass, but then I can’t even manage to fight a solo knight. Most of the time the trainer is praising me, I have no idea what I’m even doing. Half the time I’m just guessing and getting it right. It’s not very fleshed out or explanatory. I even had to look up how to use the direction crosshair because the game did a horrible job explaining it. The icon that shows the direction I should attack always changes constantly and I can barley focus on it while being bashed in the head at the same time. I’m going to upload some of these videos and show you guys how many arrows were sticking out of this knight. I ran out of arrows at one point and had to switch to my axe, and he still just landed some insane combination that killed me. I try blocking shots but always a few of them get through. I don’t know what to do. It’s very frustrating.

I also don’t know why EVERY single video on youtube of people playing this mission shows the knight giving up after significantly less blows. I wish the night would give up that easily for me???

2 Likes

If you let him get away he will be in the Sasau tavern. You can steal his armour when he sleeps an nght. The fight will be pretty easy then :smiley:

Hi Shady,

i think your skills are a bit low for that Quest. LVL 8 isnt really high. What about your strength lvl?
You maybe can try to grap him during the fight i think its callen “clinch” and then hit him derectly you finished the clinch.
During my playthrough i have fighting at lvl 16 at this point so i could easily geht some ripostes through his defence.
What esle can you do? Maybe shoot hom from your horse with the bow?

That only works if you have the perk that gives you a 40% higher chance of winning such clinch situations. Otherwise he will use this trick to hit you.

My advice, cause I can never beat him fairly, is kill him in his sleep (second playthrough) That, or have a Speech of 20 and talk him down from being an annoying German dipshit (third playthrough)

If, however, you want to fight him fairly, crank the living hell out of maces to as close to Lvl 20 as you can. Maces are meant to bash armour inwards, and combined with the headcracker Perk, you can shatter his skull after a few hits.

You need to deplete their stamina to inflict damage to their health. Try chain strikes, combos, master strikes to wear him down. Don’t let him regain his stamina by waiting too much between your attacks.

I have a simular experiance with melee combat as the OP, the aiming reticle really just confuses me, I see what the enemy has done with his weapon and respond with blocks and strikes until I see an opening then chain attacks together.
I use the long sword one handed, swing it from your horse and mostly poke it from the ground. Nothing else seems to work from the horse as it does not have enough reach. The mystery knight has no face protection, so one stab to the face will surrender him I think. I chopped his horse dead as I passed him, then arrowed him twice as he chased me then he surrendered after a poke or two. (do not take the weapons he drops as he seems to auto attack you afterwards if you do)

Fight him on horseback. Easy mode.

If you want to kill him easily, just stay on Horse Back and joust his ass to death. Once you get the timing down for stabs and slashes (I would highly recommend using a Long Sword or Polearm while on horse back) you can kill most targets even heavily armored in 1 or 2 hits.

Often for lols or to blow off steam I’ll ride into Rattay or Sasau on horse back and murder the entire town without even getting off my horse.

If you suck with timing swings, just ram him repeatedly with your horse full speed, It will eventually kill him.

Shady,

Don’t give up! When you finally get him, you will be so happy and proud. I did beat him my first time. I fought him at night by the lake and it was pitch black. I don’t really know how I beat him other than I did time his swings and block him and it took a while, but he finally gave up and I spoke to him.

I used maces on him as well, I think. And yes, you need to be a lot higher than 8. He is a tough soldier who has fought a lot so you have to be able to beat him due to level. The higher level you get, the higher strength you have, and the harder it is for him to stop your swings. At level 8, he can easily block anything you do, I think.

Just thought of another ultra easy way to cheese him and well most enemies. Take Clinch Master which you always should as its incredibly powerful, and simply press him constantly and force him into a corner through winning Clinches then just smash him over the head repeatedly with a Mace or War Hammer in between kicking him back into the corner.

after you learn master strikes. you should never lose one on one fights.

I use nothing but the Bow and play 95% Stealth, But I do have the Noble Sword and the skill maxed out along with the skill to constantly side step a slash and then nail them. Because I wear nothing but low stealth cloth

I finished the game three times now (clearly like it), but still have that frustration once in a while about the combat system. Nice what they tried with it, but it’s not very natural to use (you don’t get that feeling of space like you have in real life, where you see more angle).

It is like you say; or enemies are to easy, or impossible to beat. Groups of enemies I have to avoid, since I feel it is impossible to get a feel of where they all are (different from real life, where you do can keep overview).

My advice for those enemies like the German knight; stay on horse and shoot the bastard with arrows. You can’t loose.
Or just get a higher level and things become much easier. I have done this with that knight, but forgot wich level I was. And even then I can only counter attack them. Every attack of my own they block, no matter what I try and how high I am. They should made this better.

O, and make sure you have good equipment.