Concerning the loot system and crime:

Well this has really been bothering me. I want to know what I’m into before buying the game when it comes out.
This statement on the wiki really bothered me.

“The game is currently in Beta, so armor is very common, though difficult to come by. As of the recent update in Alpha 0.5, you can no longer loot the corpse. It is now considered a crime and you will lose all items if you try.”

To me that is… Dumb… I mean you cannot loot any armor off anyone even if they are legit kills out of self defense or any other valid reason? Like you cannot rob a criminal? Also how would someone get caught if it was on a road hardly traveled… Realistically people were looted all the time during that age and NEVER caught…

Not sure if I’m reading it wrong but the whole thing seems like a pretty broad statement guaranteeing the inability to aquire items by looting…

Anyone willing to correct,complain,or clarify?

1 Like

Alpha 0.5 is really old now. It was superseded by beta waaay back in March 2016. I didn’t ever play this version, but I assume the corpse refers to a dead soldier at Kolben estate? In this case you are not able to loot a fellow countryman, a fallen soldier in front of his colleagues. Killing bandits and cumans is another story altogether, and their equipment can be collected with no penalty - but wearing ‘enemy’ armour can result in confusion in the later versions and suspicion or outright attack from allies.

In beta you can loot corpses - but the items stolen may be treated as stolen items if sold in the same region they originated. You might also want to judge whether the kill is legitimate and whether observers might object to your violating the dead.

This is not at all the same as you cannot loot the dead, but that you should avoid murder and theft in front of witnesses - also the selling of stolen items to people who may recognise the local origin of a stolen item owned by a known person.

There were a few bugs associated with the arena system and entering Samopesh during some quest paths during ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ - any looted items marked as stolen and guards alerted under some combinations of events. Apart from this the game played more or less as expected (and you can take a speech perk which allows the selling of stolen items with less risk of criminality being reported). Don’t trespass, don’t assault, don’t steal (or at least don’t get caught) and all will be fine.

4 Likes

“The game is currently in Beta, so armor is very common, though difficult to come by. As of the recent update in Alpha 0.5, you can no longer loot the corpse. It is now considered a crime and you will lose all items if you try.”

Yeah, I was the person who wrote that. To explain, this was done near the Bohemian Camp, earlier the Kolben Estate, and at the battle at the church. At all of them, I attempted at looting a Bohemian soldier’s body, out of sight of everyone (except the battle)

In the first instance, I was tracked down and killed for theft (I had robbed the corpse in broad daylight with no witnesses.)

The second I had looted the corpse of the dying soldier in front of his friend. Nothing happened for a while until I reached Samopesh, where the Baliff actively pursued and attempted to kill me. I was able to kill him in turn, but not before three fully armoured knights from the camp came at me and killed me swiftly. (There was a witness to this murder, and I had killed her. The knights only came after I had looted the Baliff’s body, but not the dying soldier from the Estate)

The third and last instance was at the Church Battle. We had cleared our way up to attacking the church itself, so I thought, ‘‘Well, the boss is inside. I should get something better for armour.’’ (I had watched videos on YouTube earlier and let’s just say the boss slaughtered Henry easily, but they (the players I watched) went in with barely any armour and were terrible at the combat anyways) So I decided to loot a fellow Bohemian of his full suit of plate armour. That’s when I left the loot screen, equipped the armour, and was killed en mass by all the Bohemian AI that had been up attacking the church.

So I wrote it as a bit of a warning as well as a possible bug. I tried a second time at the Church Battle to loot a Cuman, and got the same result with all the AI attacking me, Cuman and Bohemian alike. Whether or not this was intentional as a derivative from looting corpses or as a bug I’m unsure.