Congrats Warhorse! but next time DO NOT USE CRYENGINE!

It really is funny to read some of the comments in here. Bad-mouthing engines because of how it was implemented/presented in Game X is stupid and pointless. It’s like saying, “Don’t build with wood! I once saw a house built with wood and it was total crap. The windows were crooked, the welcome mat was mispelled, and you had to go through the bathroom to get to the dining room. Stone is the only thing you should build with. Stone rocks!”

Now I’m no expert, but I’ve tinkered with Unreal, CryEngine and Unity, but the biggest factor on the quality of my projects was my ability, not the engine’s. While I personally think Unreal Engine 4 is the best thing since sliced bread, remember that when this game started development CryEngine was well ahead of UE3. UE4 wasn’t even released until after WH licensed CryEngine and started development and Unity was (and stil is) not an option for a big open world game like KCD … at all.

As for developing their own engine? Yeah, that is not something you start off with. The days of rolling your own engine for indies are long gone. at least for anything bigger than a match-3 or puzzle game.

What tools exactly? And I wouldn’t necessarily label tools as “technology”, it makes it seem like something groundbreaking. And I guess “title” would be a better word for it instead of “game”, in which case it would be a waste to ditch Cryengine after all the effort, if just for the sake of consistency.

Wow, experts talk about Cryengine!? Wtf do you know about engine?

Cryengine is the most advanced engine in the world. But some teams want too much, like Star Citizen and RSI. What they want to create is insane, and their project requires massive changes to the engine, big team, money, time.

Problem with Warhorse is small team and lack of money. Also now we have problem with 3 platforms and optimization for all of them.

If you want big project you need big team and money. And you have 2 options; to create your own engine or to optimize some commercial engine like Cryengine, UE4, Unity, for your game as much as possible. Theres no such thing as universal engine, especially with these commercial engines.

It’s too bad WH couldn’t use the Fox Engine. Looks like some great stuff can be achieved with that and it was created with open world in mind. Great stuff right there.

Numerous times I saw NPC get teleported into the sky and pushed down to the earth briefly after I exited the in game inventory/map menu

Anyone else saw such oddity?

That’s cryengine to you, the collision detection and the physics engine are wonky and janky just like that, causing the oddity I described.

Btw, the game mess up your desktop gamma setting, many complained this.

This bug has existed since CRYSIS 2! Roflmao.

1 Like

I’ve never really liked cry engine.
CDPR made their own im pretty sure and did well with the witcher 3. If warhorse made their own engine I think that would be nice for them, but they’d have to make a way to transfer a lot of assets from cryengine. I think this game would be a lot better with its own purpose built engine.
Theres also the fact of warhorse getting more money now so I think that will help with bug stomping and such.

Also the amount of time it prob takes to make one is a long time.

Thing is, they went into bankrupcy atleast one or two times, as far as they explained in their videos, they lost their publisher once and they had very little starting funds, making an engine costs -ALOT- and I mean in work hours, plus their team was really small, it grew thanks to kickstarter, now it’s a medium sized company I think, which is good… they didn’t swap cryengine to something else because they would’ve had to do everything back from scratch but I am positive that they will work on another engine, maybe on in KC:D 2 but hopefully they do…

Yep. Been following the whole time too.

CryEngine makes us CRY because so much gamebreaking bugs.

@napoleonic You are so ignorant its comical.

I saw the same in Skyrim and in Stalker, flying NPCs, etc. These games do not use Cryengine.

And stop talking about game engines. You know nothing about them, like many other here. Don’t embarrass yourself.