Congrats Warhorse! but next time DO NOT USE CRYENGINE!

Congratulations to WH, I like the game and it seem that despite all the flaws, the game is selling well, and on the right path to become a flawed classic and a solid foundations for the future of WH as a game studio.

Now, as a backer here, and as a disappointed former Star Citizen backer, I have to say that some of the flaws of KCD also present on SC, I’m here talking about the technical flaws like poor performance and the bugs…

long story short, to me it’s become very clear now, Cryengine is a POS game engine for any game that try to have some depth… , it can look pretty but that’s just it, the moment you try something complex, the engine would make sure you cry (pun intended)

just terrible

so I urge WH to drop Cryengine for future games, try Unreal, or even Unity, or make your own engine, anything but Cryengine.

I hope WH understand this and drop Cryengine.

2 Likes

If there was a refund policy their numbers would plummet

You should actually attempt to develop a game on cryengine before you bash it without bugs. Same with any other engine.

3 Likes

There is no way they would throw away all the technology they have developed over the years mate…

2 Likes

They didn’t develop any technology, and OP is referring to future games, if there would even be any, as the sole purpose of the developer was to create this one specific game.

sure, they developed own tools for use with the engine

they have already planned act 2

I believe when WH has all the kinks out of the game and all the great mods come out, many developers will want the cry engine.

also if any of you played Homefront Revolution and Sniper GW3, you would find similar performance crapness and the bugs…

Cryengine is garbage in this day, it was good 10 years ago when Crysis launched, today other engines can have similar level of grpahics without the disadvantages.

Cryengine only good for tech demos, or you know… selling starship jpegs… lmao.

There’s nothing wrong with CryEngine, and all of the same challenges of game development would exist with Unreal, Unity, Lumberyard, etc. Engines don’t hold back capabilities; budgets do.

Give it another 3 years until then. Can’t even address that most people can’t play due to the constant crashes. But hey let them fix lock picking because that the important things here.

Star Citizen is far from optimised and is currently most limited by network code etc and is FAR from finished.

as for the Unreal or Unity engines, no thanks, I have always found the former a pile of crap in all its forms and games its been used with, while Unity has its own set of problems, so out of Unreal, Unity or Cryengine, I would take the latter all day long and if it was based on the Unreal engine I probably would not have got it.

I’m no expert, but I UE4 is my favorite engine by far. It is much more straightforward than any other engine I’ve looked at and the tools and support are outstanding.

Unity is great for some things, but I do not believe it could handle an open-world game of this scope. As for CryEngine, it isn’t a bad engine, but I did find it to be extremely cumbersome and clunky. I know it can do great things, but I felt like the learning curve was very steep.

Now, that being said, I’m not sure I want WH to change engines on their 2nd game out. I’d much rather see an evolution of KCD than a revolution. The lessons learned from this launch should enable them to release a 2nd title that is tighter and more polished. I don’t care if it has cutting-edge graphics, in fact, I think the obsession with visuals is one of the biggest reasons MOST releases are bug ridden. Too much time is wasted on making it look great instead of playing great.

No ffs cryengine is garbage for any complex game!

I almost never encountered a game breaking bug on my gaming life since the 90s, today I got one

The ginger incident may have caused the bug I got, they patched the game to fix the quest, turned out to be a bigger disaster and they were forced to roll back the patch

Who knows (for us, players) what the effects from that?

I feel this clusterfuck have many things to do with cryengine.

You really need to research more on game development kid.

Fixing one bug, in the world of game development, almost always causes another bug and it’s not only to fucking cryengine.

The kid above need to learn to read the thread.

It’s not like I mentioned cryengine or anything. Please, try and develop a game without bugs on any fucking free engine.

Lol, think about it, this game run heavier when the engine is rendering almost pitch black nights than when rendering daylights!

That’s insanity. But I have seen that oddity on Homefront Revolution, so yea the engine is to blame.

So they should just give up the game and start using a shitty engine like Unity or another buggy engine like UE4? And not even attempt to fix any bugs? Yea, you are retarded.

IMHO their best bet would be to have their own engine, I don’t know many engines that allow this much shit going on in the background and keep everything nice and dandy to look at (even at lowest graphics).

At the time when the development of the game started, Cryengine was the best option. Things which are in the past now, were still future back then.