Constant Crash to Desktop, PC 1.9.2-404S

• PC
  • 1.9.2-404S
  • Crashing to desktop after a few minutes of play, no other issues
  • All I have to do to reproduce the issue is play for about 5-10 minutes. I’ve tried doing different things, going different places, it crashes no matter what.
  • I’ve reinstalled the game and updated all my drivers. It still crashes.
  • Specs:
    Ryzen R9 3900x, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Win 10 Pro 1903

What size swap file do you have setup?

I finished the game yesterday (took me 200 hours on hardcore) and the game crashed to me twice - always during extremely demanding cutscene - and I found out it was caused by my swap file being too small (I had it set to 2GB because I thought it was enough when I have 16GBRAM). Once I set it to 4GB it did not crash anymore.

Of course you might have some different issue. Also try to set all CPU/GPU clocks to default.

Mine is already 4.75GB and Windows is managing the size automatically, so I can’t imagine if that were the issue that Windows wouldn’t make it larger itself and the crashes would go away, right?

I did also notice that there’s a crash report in the Windows Event Viewer every time the game crashes. I’ve included it below, but it seems to be an Access Violation in WHGame.DLL, so that makes me wonder if there’s an actual bug in the game… maybe related to being on the Windows 1903 update?

Faulting application name: KingdomCome.exe, version: 1.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d1b63b8
Faulting module name: WHGame.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d1b6cab
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000720fd0
Faulting process id: 0x28f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5715328ed926c
Faulting application path: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\KingdomComeDeliverance\Bin\Win64\KingdomCome.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\KingdomComeDeliverance\Bin\Win64\WHGame.DLL
Report Id: 2ab2f6d8-d752-420e-a18e-8ba5cb9f0b00
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Maybe this has to do with the new Ryzen? Or with 32-threaded CPUs in general?

I have version 1903 with all latest updates as well and no crashes, so probably not

Doubt it, the game must work with ryzen, it eats CPUs for breakfast. I have also Ryzen although 8 core only (2700X)

I’d also have a hard time thinking it’s the Ryzen because I’d imagine there would be more reports for that. Ryzen 3000 series has a lot of different skus and I can’t imagine it would be just to thr 3900x. And I’d assume I’d see problems in other games too.

The access violation piece is what is interesting to me. I’m a programmer for a living and usually that one means a bug in my code.

Games crash when too many cores/threads are in use is nothing new. And the R9 3900X does have 24 or 32 threads.

I really don’t think that’s true. Having threads available doesn’t mean that the game has to make use of them… that’s just not how computers work.

I had a couple of crashes too. Setting vsync limit to 60hz helped for me. Maybe it’s a power issue… although my psu is fine, but does this game go bonkers with power draw or power fluctuation when fps goes over 100 and back to 50’s in some places. Just a guess.

That sounds like it might be related. I think the full screen map I see >100 FPS, so I’ll try to set vsync and see if that helps

Try vsync and also just to be sure try to disalble SMT (multithreading in bios)

This is exactly what I say about too many threads.

I’m going to try both now that I have some time and will report back.

I tried with all permutations of vsync and SMT and SMT is definitely the issue.

@Chessqueen, while I don’t think “too many threads” is the best way to describe the issue (because the number of threads isn’t the problem; it’s an issue with any single physical core being able to simultaneously process more than a single thread of execution), there definitely is an issue with SMT in this game on Ryzen 3xxx series CPUs at the very least. I’ve seen threads across the internet about all Ryzen generations having issues with SMT enabled including Rainbow Six Siege, Ashes of the Singularity (with dx12), and Battlefield 1 also.

It seems like this should be an issue investigated by @warhorse, even if their response is to push the issue up to Crytek to debug. My instinct from being a programmer for years is that this smells like a race condition. Access violations don’t happen just because SMT is enabled.

There is no good reason why I should have to disable SMT to run a game. I didn’t buy a CPU with 12 cores/24 threads just to game; I need all those threads to get other work done and rebooting to enable/disable SMT is a massive waste of my time.

If anyone at Warhorse is reading here, I am more than willing to help debug the issue in any way I can.

No. What you mean about SMT would just slow down the performance, but not crash a game. Too many threads are a known issue when a game crashes.

Maybe you can limit the usage of threads in the game config file?

Thank you for reporting this bug to us, I will get @WH_janrucker involved.

Did you try a clean install of your GPU drivers? Is your GPU OCd? I have a GTX-1080, and if I OC it at all, it does exactly this every time, but not in any other game. Are you sure DX, VC Redist. and .NET are all up to date? Sometimes, if I reinstall windows, I forget to do this since my games are all installed on another drive, and they crash because of this, sometimes there’s an error window saying some file is missing, but sometimes not. It really sounds like an OCd GPU to me, since it always runs fine for a few minutes before crashing to desktop (in my experience with KCD, GTX-1080 and my 1800x / Crosshair Vi Hero / 64 GB RAM / Windows 10 1903 (but did this in previous versions). Basically, I decided the slight OC on a card that like most GPUs made today, OC themselves anyway… just wasn’t worth the instability, extra heat and issues like this, so I have a stock GPU profile running with this game (just upped the power slider).

We already know it’s a game bug with SMT on too many threads.

Wow. If that’s the case, maybe there’s a way to limit the thread countin the ini file. That would work fine, if possible. . and make for an easy fix for WH.

Better to optimize/tweak the game for using more threads than to limit them.

1 Like