Constant Stuttering using SLI with dual GTX 980 TI

Hi all, following problem:

since release, I’m really “suffering” from terrible stutter and huge FPS drops where ever I am in game when using my GTX 980 TIs in 2-way-SLI. I really tried EVERYTHING that either can be found on the internet or my personal experience tells me when it comes to tweaks for stutter free SLI gaming (Driver tweaks/GSYNC/VSYNC/Different SLI profiles/FPS Limit/Ingame settings/CFG tweaks/BES/…). But what ever I try, the stutter remains. In terms of GPU usage everything is totally fine by the way (reaching the 90-100% most of the time).

Single GPU is totally smooth in comparison. So I went for that the hours I came to actually playing KCD since then, but the unused potential of my second GPU really drives me nuts sometimes.

I would have given up long ago if only I wouldn’t have heard of so many people who got absolutely no problem playing this game in SLI on 10 series GPUs (1080 TI and so on). Not to mention the fact that this game has SLI support implemented by the devs and no one on that side ever mentioned restrictions for specific GPUs.

So what I really would like to know: is anyone out there having similar problems with dual 980 TIs? Or 900 series in general?

My setup:
i7 7700K @ 4,6 GHz OC
2x MSI GTX 980 TI @ Default clocks
16 GB Kingston HyperX @ 3000 MHZ OC
Acer G-SYNC Display @ 144 Hz
MSI z170 Gaming M7 Mainboard
Samsung SSD

Fun fact: I watched a video on YT where the devs unboxed a set of 980 TIs they received as a gift for helping them optimizing the game for SLI… So why the hell am I having that kind of problems with exactly these cards now? :smiley:

Well Nvidia released new drivers hours ago. The driver’s release notes claim to have improved KCD specifically. I would start there. Here is my post about it.

Thank you for your answer.
Already tried the new driver, also had a hopeful look at the change log earlier that day but noticed that the mentioned KCD improvements belong to the previous major 390 release :frowning:

Sometimes SLI/xfire are super buggy with games. Remove one and see and I bet it fixes all of your issues.

For those who have stuttering, freeze, low fps, or want better perf and amazing graphism, please try this PC mod :

@Cedius As I mentioned, this is what I do when I want to play normally… Everything runs fine then, but the FPS are much lower than it would be possible if only I could use my second card.

Today again, I played around a lot with a bunch of console commands for the CryEngine, but had no real success to get rid of the stutter. What I can say for sure is that it has something to do with the Streaming System, as the stutter only occurs when my Henry is moving. By the way, stuttering is clearly Frametime related, which is jumping up and down all the time while moving.

What gave me the biggest hope for that maybe some day there will be a fix for this is the following:
I set e_StreamCgfPoolSize to a much higher value than the startup value (Default for me is 1024, raised it to 2048).
Then I set it back to normal.
Now my FPS dropped by around half, but frametimes were almost consistent!
Also objects were now popping up in front of me all the way, but as I said, at least the frametimes were much, much better…
Maybe a kind Dev could have a look in this issue for the next patch? :slight_smile: I’m so hopeful now! :smiley:

Well, seems like patch 1.4 actually brought an improvement! The frametimes are nearly constant now, micro stuttering still noticable, but yet it feels so much smoother! Whoever put his hands on this, my sincere gratitude to you! :star_struck::hugs: