Controller conflicting with keyboard & mouse [Solved]

Okay, here’s the story. It’s like they are competing with eachother. For example: I go to sleep in a bed and I am able to sit with the controller prompts showing. However, when I attempt to sleep by holding “A” the keyboard shortcuts will show up, I let go and they revert back. This will render most of the buttons on the controller unresponsive, and the only way to preform the action is to use the keyboard. This problem will often happen in combat and other areas as well.

I’ve tried what I could think of; such as messing with bindings, using a different controller, I’ve even unplugged the keyboard and mouse to no affect. I’m hoping I’m braindead and there is a simple solution that I’m missing. Please help, I’m really digging this game, but this happens so often that is really spoiling it for me.

Edit: I suppose you may need further information.
I’m on windows 10, playing through steam. I’ve tried both Big picture mode as well as through the normal launcher. I have the current windows update.

PC, XBone One wireless W10 home. Mikey Soft wireless USB plug.
I don’t have that problem. If I use the mouse and K/B , K/B commands show and if revert to controller the controller takes over and vice versa.
Sounds like you have a conflict somewhere between the 2. Mebbe the controller isn’t "introduced " to the system correctly? Ain’t an expert on this so guessing.
For Me a new controller I bought had to Intro’d with a USB cable so my system would “see” it. After that no cable needed

Well its a wired controller. Xbox one after glow. I’ve uninstalled its drivers and reinstalled them. No luck. I agree it must be a conflict between the two, however, even after removing one, the problem still persists.

Mine is a straight plain black standard issue Mikey Soft one and my KB is a Logitech wireless flat K/B and work ok together…
Seems then the conflict is in the controller software and the game software. . If you have or can borrow an old Mikey Soft one try it and see if it is that.

Afterglow may not be as licensed a product as we would hope.

How do we know it isnt doing some form of keyboard emulatuon for its controls?

I never had an issue with alternative prompt graphics (eg keyboard when using a wireless 360 controller), but the last couple of versions have.

Warhorse had a screen shake issue for a long whilst.
They had a VERY HARD TIME sorting out the cause and eventually found it to be several things (it was nigh impossible to get a handle on).

During that time they had targeting/lock on issues (amoungst others), and they really went to town on controls.

Prior to those changes I found lockpicking sublime and very fun. Then they played with controller input and things have had a myriad of issues since. (And a tonne of people talking about how lockpicking continues to shake even after they let go of controller)(the only succesful lockpickers nowadays are thise who do it fast or use keyboard and mouse).

I have played this game since launch and never had an issue with multiple unputs until Warhorse started mucking around with them.

Makes it really hard to give any advice with regards to the afterglow controller.
Youve covered some of the basics (remapped buttons at a system level and steam BP mode etc…)(well done for writing so and saving troubleshooters further questions).

I do believe in some magic future patch when WH realise what they have done with regards to controllers, the magic accident that snuck into the game will be fixed.

(A tonne of people will enjoy lockpicking like the launch version of the game had, when the issue is fixed!)

Thanks for the response. I’ll try just about anything so its Interesting that you suggest it may be the controller manufacturer. both the controllers I tried were after glow. (One ‘360’, and one ‘Xbox one’) I just bought the xbox One Controller because I thought that the issue may have been because the 360 controller isn’t officially supported for windows 10. I’ll return it later today and try out a different manufacturer. I’ll report back what I find.

As much as i am anti microshaft; get an official controller.
Even second hand for half price they are usually in better shape and last longer than new ‘third party’ units.

For decades the rule of thumb for controllers is ‘buy official’.

Microsoft are just the sort of bastards to do to you what you are experiencing.
When forza 3 horizon was having major issues, MS enjoyed toying with direct x input to make shifters swap 1st and 6th gear locations etc. (They want to force users to buy licensed products)

Id bet on it (your afterglow issues are M$ caused)!

Xbox controllers match up with many game menus etc.
Bite the bullet!

as was my last suggestion …sorta. go plain bland official issue.

Well. I guess they don’t sell official controllers with a USB connection. Game Stop has them as a separate unit for 25 bucks + 60 for the controller. I suppose I’ll try and find something online that doesn’t cost me nearly 100 dollars after tax and doesn’t lock me into store credit like gamestop. I’ll give an update once I find something. Unless someone has an idea as to how to get my 360 after glow not to fight with the keyboard?

I bought my XB1 wireless at local Game Stop new for $55+ 6% state tax.

Well, I bought one off amazon for 48 bucks which includes the wire. So will update Thursday. In the meantime, I am still open to suggestions.

Sure ‘let the keyboard win’.

Maybe mapping software would allow a series of keystrokes to be made to work with it.

(Eg fully commit to the path of the ‘A’ button)
(Its probably one of the things Id try as a LAST RESORT)

PERSONALLY Id go with a ps4 controller if xbox controllers are proving too pricey.

Microsoft doesnt want gamers on pc. (Xbox gaming makes them $$$)
I was one of the fortunate few who bought the xbox 360 wireless receiver (a usb dongle allowing xbox 360 (wireless) controllers to work on PC)

They then took the product off the market.

Many many years later it has returned in some fashion or another… but nowadays we can jist usb pair some of our wireless units.
A specidfic bluetooth chip (or two) allow using official playstation controllers in ‘wireless mode’.
These parts might cost a few dollars if you have patience to wait…

Not worth a massive price premium for an official XBOX part.
Official console quality part (eg ps4/ps3) moght be better bet…

I remember looking everywhere for the wireless dongle for the 360 controller. I was at the first stages of transitioning from console to PC gaming. The local brick and mortar goon had it for some outrageous price coupled with a controller. So I could never justify it.

Yeah thats how they ultimately decided to resell it.
(M$ is all about the profit and never pro consumer)

It does look better in that pack.

To be honest- I wish I used usb/wired controller.

It isnt replacing batteries (rechareables last fir forever), its the wireless frequencies 10cm from reproductive organs and their delicate contents.

I already have my family sorted… but blinkybthebthree eyed fish is everyday more likely in a world where everyonenholds wireless tech against the reproductive organs, generally from pre puberty… and for some gamers- more hours than sleep…

Ahaha! Yeah think about it. How do you hold a controller? Not at arms length like in promotional shots, but rather in your lap. Imagine 20 years from now and seeing people and being able to tell if their parents played video games or not.

1 Like

My wireless usb plug from Mikey Soft is the newest one and can handle up to 10 USB devices and supposed ly 1/3 the size of the old one. At a cost of $30US

Gotta love how things NEED TO improve.

Reminds me of a Garfield comic where the topic is ‘new and improved’,… what about the ‘old and inferior’.

One third the size?

Yes the first ones were larger than need be.
Perhaps my sync/pair button has a cherry brown mx switch?

Still, twelve-thirteen years on and it has outlasted my best ever microsoft mouse.

Hey their force feedback joysticks from the nineties are still highly sort after…

Well. I went ahead and bought an Xbox S as it was on sale for 220 on prime day. ( needed a UHD bluray media center anyways) However, the controller didn’t come with a micro to USB adapter; but I did find out any kind of generic micro-USB will work. So I plugged in and game it a spin. Same problem happened.

So now I have no idea what to do. I guess I could uninstall and reinstall the game maybe that’ll have some affect. Any clues on how to proceed? Where are the saves located? I don’t wanna waste 13 hours.

Something you can try

In big picture mode go to KCD > Manage game > Controller options > Under Use configuration for non steam controllers You can try Global Setting (Xbox), Forced off or forced on. mine is forced off.
Forced on messed with my game and made the controller not respond. Haven’t tried the Global xbox setting.

Hope this might help.

Edit:
Saves can be found C:\Users\ (yournamehere) \Saved Games\kingdomcome

3 Likes