Cryengine V announced - Incoming DX12 support in KC:D?

According to Crytek , brand new Cryengine V is DX12 friendly:

DirectX 12 support: Utilize the latest branch of DirectX to take greater control of hardware resources.

Does this mean that at least the PC version of KC:D will now take full advantage of DX12?

4 Likes

I seriously hope so. This game badly needs it and would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from it!

Is impossible to take FULL advantage of dx12 now, because Nvidia the majority of the GPU’s on the market, unfortunately lacks good support for one of this new API most promising feature, asynchronous compute (the ability to do graphics workloads and compute at the same time), but don’t take my word for it, http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/213519-asynchronous-shading-amd-nvidia-and-dx12-what-we-know-so-far, but this does not mean the game would not gain by using DX12, for the contrary, the new multithreading ability of DX12 and being close to the metal, is enough to help this game.

only it is not, Win10 ONLY! :wink: :smile:

1 Like

@Rataj: For other systems Vulkan is the way to go – Crytek is a member of the Khronos group who develeps Vulkan so I expect them to add support for it at some point. The basic concept is similar to DX12 (as both are low level APIs based on or inspired by Mantle) so the imlpementation should be relatively easy now that they already have DX12. And, you know, Vulkan is not locked to Win10.

1 Like

Yesterday, during the live stream, they specifically stated that support for DX12 was dependant upon Cryengine adopting it. Less than 24 hours later, Crytek announce the latest iteration does indeed embrace DX12 and go as far as including a snippet of KC:D in their reveal promo material. Cryengine DX12 adoption: that’s now out of the way.

Your move, Warhorse.
:smiley:

2 Likes

As much as I like the news, Vulkan support would be amazing. From Mantle over DirectX12 to Vulkan the last time has introduced a great change of options. The only exclusive ability that DirectX12 has over Vulkan is the bondage to Windows. And this ability is far from being an advantage. Especially for Kingdom Come: Deliverance it would be the preferable API because a linux version of the game is planned.

With the introduction of Windows 10 one can experience a bad shift in privacy concerns as well as the stability especially in gaming has decreased. How will the more and more “free”(in terms of the price) Windows 10 be funded in the future? What is private data processed for on Microsoft- servers? Why do people nowadays have to do things like setting the game executable priority to realtime in order to prevent stuttering?!
All these Questions lead to one assumption: The future will bring more diversity to the desktop operating system market and people will have to decide between free os’es like OSX, which is funded by hardware sales, Windows being funded by… which I don’t even want to think about ;), and other operating systems like the community project Linux.
As Vulkan is platform independend and has no disadvantages towards DX12, it makes DX12 absolutely redundant.

1 Like

@lyon
That are good news… but you know, most time Mainstream is the magic word^^

Any news about DX12/Vulcan support?

No, but it is fakt, that WH will not change the Cryengine to Version V for KCD, because it´s much to much work. They will focus on finishing the game in 2017.
For the next game,… who knows? :slight_smile:

I think that they stated there won´t be any engine update until release (too much work), but it will be updated in one of the after release patches when everything calms down and there will be more time for such work.

Unless the game has been built on the dx12 stuff, adding it now would require a lot of work and the differences might not even be noticeable. Actually, adding dx12 support later on, can actually lower the fps in the game.
So let’s hope they leave it out for now. (saving time and money before it’s wasted on something that doesn’t actually help the game) and apply it to their next game, building it from the ground up with DX12 in mind and hopefully at that time we have video cards that properly support it.

I hate Windows 10 for spying on us users and I really dislike this operational system, although there are some third-party programs, like Windows 10 Spy killer or something like that which deals with most of the privacy violations made by Micro$oft.

On my gaming laptop we are forced to use Win10, as it came pre-installed and Acer don’t have drivers for “older OS” for my model. There are crashes, especially to older games (Witcher 1), which aren’t present to my desktop Windows 7. Newer games work better. Also, the system constantly goes to some nonsense energy savings as if Micro$oft themselves pay my utility bills. I can’t do nothing about it, except making this “realtime priority” trick to squeeze 5-10% percent more from my gaming i7 6800… a processor which is 2.6 - 3.5 ghz by statement, but mostly spend its time between 900 - 3100 mhz. Only if I had control, it would’ve been clocked to 4 mhz and fixed multiplier to 40, just because. :slight_smile:

For me, Windows 7 is the best operational system ever made and I will continue to use it till its done.