Cudity Level: Too Much or Just Right?

I say save the most crude dialogues to specific NPCs that need them to sell their character as douchebags or illiterates (did i just spell illiterate wrong btw?) :smile:

The vast majority of people in medieval times were illiterate.

Many of the ā€œswearā€ words we use to today, were used in common speech without carrying the negative connotation they do in modern times.

Well, the entire language was different - and at this place they didnā€™t speak english. So the question is not what was spoken but how it sounds to modern ears.

I grew up in a small village with farmers as neighbours and although they spoke a simple language, and dialect of course, they didnā€™t swear too often and if, it was kind of ā€¦ creative :yum:
Iā€™m just concerned that since so many people in the game sound like the village idiot, I may treat them as village idiots although maybe only one is the idiot ā€¦
Um ā€¦ itā€™s late here ā€¦ do I make any sense?

That is certainly true. Reading medieval documents (which were usually for the upper classes, which is why theyā€™ve survived so long) is not for those who are easily shocked by what today is considered foul language. Linguists say that most of the oldest surviving words in English are rather naughty and are shared with many other Indo-European languages, some going all the way back to late Neolithic times. It seems that it wasnā€™t until the ultra-prudish Victorian era that we got all the modern euphemisms for body parts and bodily functions.

For example, take the Canterbury Tales, especially the more bawdy ones, like ā€œThe Millerā€™s Taleā€, and note the language. This was written in late 1300s and was supposed to represent the normal conversation between chance traveling companions from all walks of life, nobles and commoners, but itā€™s full of modern swear words and naughty situations. The author was a courtier and most of his readers were nobility, and they werenā€™t scandalized.

3 Likes

Do you know a good source for those old texts and letters and stuff? I would be interested but donā€™t know where to begin searching ^^

4m 10s of this video. It is a bit amusing

2 Likes

Well, Chaucer wrote a few years prior to KCDā€™s timeframe so all his stuff has long since been in public domain. You can find it online in many places. Hereā€™s one in the original Middle English:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CT

And another in Modern English:
http://english.fsu.edu/canterbury/

3 Likes

Itā€™s enough if a few key NPCs use the worst language, common NPCs can use a bit toned down crudity or else the game risks becoming a parody

Do we really need the F-bomb in the game, I think it detracts from the game and takes away from the atmosphere. Yes I know that the F-bomb first started showing up in the 15th century but I doubt it was used as often and in such a manner as you hear it today, and I am sure there our other medieval terms that we can use to be more immersive.

I actually agree with this, maybe because I am American and this is our getto language :smile:

Give me a good medival cussin

Absence or presence of F-words or any other ā€œnaughtyā€ words will be dictated by historical accuracy, iā€™d imagine.
And i think there will be a lot of it. After all, the game is supposed to be realistic.

EDIT: another thing is that it takes place in Bohemia where english was never widely used and therefore your ā€œF-word situationā€ is just a matter of translation. Which will be probably outsourced.

Translated? I thought the game is written primarily in English.
Hmm or I might be completely wrong. :smile: Which is most probably the case. :smiley:
But I am too interested what kind of juicy words were used at that time. The problem is, I donā€™t think any chronicler was documenting the language of the common folk. It might all end up in guessing. And should they stick to English swear words used at that time or literally translate Czech ones? I guess it depends on the situation too.

Yep, everything is written in Czech and is later transleted into English.

Scribes may have not written down a language of common folk, but I believe that some examples should be there to find.

Literal translation is not always the best.
But a lot of Czech swear words can be literary translated. The question is what swear words were used in medieval bohemia.

Yeah I would definitely want to hear some examples. :smirk:
It could be quite educational. :joy:

Do we really need the F-word<

Hello,
we had this discussion in this thread:

Maybe we should bring the threads togetherā€¦ :smiley:

And a litttle bit in this one:

New evidence discovered this year shows it being used as early as 1310. And again, thatā€™s just in a written source.

Iā€™m American, and I donā€™t live in a getto and almost everyone i know uses it on a regular basis. Itā€™s used more often here then words like damn or shit.

I would also like to know who decided the ā€œF-bombā€ was the was the worst cuss word you could say? What makes it worse than the others?

Yes their was evidence of its use back then and then showed up in dictionaries late 14th century (1596 or so), but it does not show up as being commonly used as a curse until many hundred years later.

My point is it is very much a 19-20 century curse, totally jolts me out of the era, itā€™s only recently that games/movies have tried to use it in that setting.

Iā€™d prefer a different word that has a more medieval ring to it.

That is kinda my point above, the F-bomb is very 20/21st century, it has become the middle school word of choice and that is what I hear, not some medieval peasant.

Where i live everyone uses it, even the elderly.

Well itā€™s a little odd for Bohemian peasants to be speaking with modern English accents, so hearing a word that may or may not have been used then isnā€™t really an issue for me.