Cumans' armament

Even a armour of low quality steel with rich decorations may save your live because the enemy intead of killing you would rather try to capture you to get a ransom.

Sabres.

Crossings, proportions of of handle’s and blade’s length, and geometry of handles are horrible.
And some good examples for sabres:

Sabres from Late Middle Ages Kubania tombs.

Sabres from Belorechenskaya stanitsa.

Sabre from Kujorskaya stanitsa.

Typology of these sabres’ crossings.

Sabre from Tagancha. (Same tomb where one of Type IV helmets was found.)

Findings of chechuga-sabres’ hilts.

Hilts.

Tips of scabbards.
For reading: http://www.kitabhona.org.ua/libwar_armor/sable04.html

It is 17th.

I know. Findings of hilts are very good, though…

I have to add something here: To be honest I have no idea if the cumans used the “sabres” that are already in the game or if they used swords like you showed on your pictures.
But what I can say with certainty is that the crossings, proportions of the handles, blade’s length, and geometry of handles are in fact not horrible and definitely correct as far as medieval weapons from Central Europe or the HRE are concerned.

As I stated above I do not know about these weapons being used by the Cumans in the army of Sigismund, but they should absolutely stay like this in the final game, because for Central Europe they are fine.

These “sabres”, they are in fact falchions and lange messer (german for long knive), are according to fighting treatises, artwork and findings correct. The only thing I cannot really see is if the models of the messer for the game have the the so called nail on the side of the crossguard, which helps to protect your fingers.

An illustration from Johannes Lecküchners (1430s-1482) treatise Kunst des Messerfechtens (Art of fighting with the messer, southern Germany)

Artwork from the Harley manuscripts: BL Harley 4183 Bible historiale (1403-1404, Paris)

Artwork from the Bodley manuscripts: Bodley 264 Alexander and Dindimus, Folio 231v (1400, England)
In the upper left you can see a falchion almost exactly like the one on the right from the ingame picture.

EDIT: Some surviving blades

Some reproductions:

And yes, these single-edged swords vary greatly, so there are many different types of blades, crossguards and pommels, but the models above are easily within the realm of possibility.

We do not concern weapons from Holy Roman Empire or Central Europe.

Yeah but you said that the models for those weapons are terrible, which is just not true. I want you to keep in mind that the Cumans are just one part of this game, and if a model does not fit for the Cumans, it has another place where it can shine.
So the model is not bad, you just have to give it to the right NPCs in the game.

Straight swords.
Golden Horde had commercial relations with Europe via Genoa colonies, so presence of some European straight swords is admissible.

Another source of obtaining straight swords is Mamluk sultanate. Mamluk straight swords look like this:

XV-XVI century Mamluk straight swords from Topkapi palace.
For reading: http://millitarch.ru/?p=1256

As i don’t have any expertise of old weapons and armor, i don’t comment the discussion here. I just went through it.
But i do have one question about the Cumans and it is about their language. In the game they speak Hungarian, but did they really speak Hungarian instead of their own language? Of course those Cumans had lived a long time in Hungary, but still.

For instance there are Tatars living here in Finland, because they moved here over 100 years ago, when this country was still a part of Russia.The Tatars of Finland do of course speak Finnish, but together they still speak their own language - which is by the way near the Turkish language like i think the Cuman language also was.

1 Like

Alright, I know it is a bit late for a change now, but why didn’t you guys fix the cumans when you had the chance? it’s very hard for me to take their current look seriously, especially when you clearly put much more effort into the bohemians and hungarians. I am also afraid that the cumans’ current look will inspire other historical titles to use your game as a base for their research, which is unfortunate since your game is one of the very few that depicts the cumans in such a large scale. Quite a shame really, especially when you claim that the game is historically accurate.

@DrFusselpulli
Also I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with those sources you promised to give since june.

Guess, it is up to modders now.

I am also waiting for sources they promised me last year.