Deepsilver or Warhorse, who is to blame?

I have seen a lot of people complaining about WH and how the game was released unfurnished.

It is really strange, because a few months ago people were posting about their negative opinion about Deepsilver and how it could interfere with the development of the game.

Now that you remember about them, what do you think?

I don’t know what you’re talking about? There are many renditions of medieval tables and chairs, beds of all types, bookcases too, all lovingly designed and rendered in many of the longhouses, and buildings, quite authentic too methinks. Maybe its a bug.

It may be, that these two kinds of feedback are coming from two largely seperate groups of people.

As for me, I think WH can not escape the blame game unharmed. They might have better communcated beforehand (maybe, see later) they might have bitten off more than they can chew. Possibly stumbled into a publisher deal/contract with strings attached.

However, it seems that much of the issues with KC:D boil down to bugs and not quite finished game. Which seems to indicate, that they ran out of time.

Dan Vavra seems to have mentioned that they’d’ve loved to spend more time polishing the game.

As Release dates are often set by the publishers, and publishers appearently don’t care much for anything but a minimal viable product these days, I’d guess Warhorse asked for a delay, but Deep Silver refused.

And with the limited resources, i.e. time, available, WH had to do the best they can to get the game out in some working state, and hope to be able to patch it up later.

Now, it would have been nice to know about this, BUT, I cannot -really- fault them for not telling everybody to not buy the game until 6 months after release at 3/4 the price. That would be insane and suicidal business practise on it’s own, and very likely cause for Deep silver, to hack them to pieces in court, for harming their (DS) business.

Kinds standard for todays industry, that games are squeezed out half baked and finished later (hopefully).

So I kinda always expected that with KC:D

What is a bit disheartening, is the degree of ‘undercooking’ found in this otherwise great game.

Now, WH is a new studio and team, KC:D their first game. As opposed to well proven irredeemable pricks like EA and the likes, I am willing to give every novice some wiggle room.

That is, I will closely observe how they deal with this, if they work towards actually fixing the issues, and later, possibly see if they learn for the next project, Kingdome Come II.

If they stick to their game and community, and diligently stamp out issues, and get their next game going more smoothly, I’m all aboard.

if not, they get the same treatment from me as all other studios: only buying games 6-18 months after release at reduced price onde thorouchly recommended by friends and family.

2 Likes