Dialog Choices Flicker At High Speed: Cannot Make a Choice

I’ve only just started playing this game, and already twice I have encountered this bug, at the initial conversation with Henry’s mother and then again with his father. The selection in the dialog choices rotates automatically, nonstop, and if I press or the button on the controller, it’s like I am picking at random. Goes away briefly when I restart, but comes back almost immediately. See clip recording here:

Note that the flickering is moving faster than the screen recorder can capture, so it’s even worse that the recording makes it look.

Edit: Playing on PC (Steam)

1 Like

Hello.
Does this issue occur even without the controller (unplugged)?

Yes, it does.

I also have the same Problem , playing through EPIC Games Launcher. Is there a Fix??

2 Likes

Same problem here… Anyone has a solution ? @RedRing0fLife @apataker @Wenceslaus ?

2 Likes

No sorry. This topic is the only time I heard or saw this issue.
Do you play on controller too? I’m not sure if the author of the topic unplugged the controller after the game started or launch the game without it already. Maybe that could change something. Also do you use some kind of key remapper?

I play just with the keyboard, without key remapper.

Have you found a solution to this problem?

I am also experiencing fast flickering during dialogue choices and I don’t know how to fix it.

1 Like

I don’t have any solution and i don’t know how to contact the
development team

1 Like

same problem for me too. i’m on steam , only solution i found is temporary- save and quit, reload game. it happens again soon enough though.

1 Like

I also have the same issue.
I have no controllers.
Playing Epic version.
Also issue when streaming it through Steam.

Same as @fate mentioned, if you save+quit and come back, then you can have the next 2 or 3 dialogs correctly; afterwards, it just gets to this flicker loop again.
Worse is that you cannot just “escape” the dialog, so you are forced to Alt+F4 or risk it by selecting a random answer every time :S

FYI, I have submitted the bug per an email (I understand this is the current official way) and received a ticket number:
request (84293)

I think I know what the issue is! The mouse wheel is being treated like a joystick.

When the game starts, it sets the mouse wheel to “zero”, i.e., joystick in center position.
If at any point anywhere you move the mouse wheel up by for example 3 steps (zooming in a map, scrolling inventory, etc.), then the dialog choices flicker, as if you where pushing a joystick up. You need to move it back by 3 steps and then the dialog choices work fine again.
The issue is that it is nearly impossible to keep track of how much you have moved the wheel up and down since you started the game…
One trick is to slowly start scrolling the mouse wheel up, while counting up to 10. If the issue is still there, then move the wheel in the opposite direction twenty steps. If nothing, then up by 30 steps, etc. eventually, you should find the “zero” point again, as if the joystick was in its center position, and the flicker stops.

Does anybody know if there is some kind of setting in a config file somewhere to force the mouse wheel behaviour not to be like a joystick?

A not so good alternative is to disable the mouse wheel altogether (using something like X-mouse button control), but then some things in the game don`t work, like zooming in and out in the map, etc.

P.S.: Knowing this, I did some searches and found a lot of other issues with mouse wheel related issues in this game (grindstone, changing targets, etc.):

etc.

Fix found!

I was streaming the game from a PC that did not have any mouse connected.
After connecting a cheap mouse to it, now the wheel works fine in dialogs, sleeping wheel, map zoom, etc.

So my guess is that there is some sort of default virtual mouse which is not correctly recognised by the game (did not see the issue with any other game so far) and makes it fail during streaming.

The things that immediately got fixed:

• dialog choices flickering no more
  • map zooming correctly now
  • sleeping wheel now can be set
  • Haggling now can be set

i have smae problem. help me plz :frowning:

Are you streaming the game remotely? If yes, have you got a mouse plugged in the remote PC?

Have you tried with a different mouse?

Is your Windows 10 up to date?

Do you have any controllers plugged in?