Dog sidekick mechanic

The dog is always hungry, I give him food and it doesn’t last that long before he is hungry again. Is there a specific type of food I can give the dog that will last longer without food?

How do you say if he’s hungry?

Dogs seem to be hungry all the time in real life (my mother-in-law owns a dog), it doesn’t mean you have to feed them all the time :slight_smile: In the game, I just stick to a simple rule: he eats only when his master eats, after him. It’s not very untrue to real life I should say.

1 Like

Obedience meter goes up if you feed him. Then it decreases fast if you don’t feed him within seconds. It feels more like a chore than a sidekick unless I’m not understanding the mechanics right.

I often fed the dogs from the loot (salami, etc) of bandits/Cumans. Seemed to preserve obedience

1 Like

Perhaps you just fail to keep his obedience up by other means (praising when appropriate, commanding etc.)? I’ve never encountered your problem. I only feed him when I eat by myself so it’s independent of his behaviour. Then I praise him for following commands (except “heel!”) if he does right and I don’t if he doesn’t. His initiatives are also praised when encouraged. For instance, I never trained him to be a hunting dog, but once I shot a hare in the woods and he ran and fetched it without me saying a word! This was desirable behaviour so I praised him and gave him the hare’s offal.

Also to add to this, if you feed him too much in a short period of time, this will negatively impact obedience.
It does say all this in the tutorial for the dog. Not in so much detail.

1 Like

Just Another Question , in a woman lot , when I try to talk to the dog there is no “Seek” command, i’m I missing something…
Thanks

Playing as Henry?
You habe to level up the new Houndsmaster skill. And get the perk seek…

1 Like

Hi there Blacksmith thanks for the reply, but no i’m playing as Theresa on that campaign.

Any MODs?