Download the game outside steam?

I supported the game via kickstarter with "Soldier"level. Apparently I can only download via steam. I don’t want to play the game via steam, though. I don’t want to install steam itself.

Is there a way I can renounce my steam key and get instead a standalone game or something similar?

1 Like

kickstarter is steam only
except you backed a console version…
the only way would be to exchange your steam key with someone who has a gog key

I have precisely the same problem. I backed the game years ago and chose the physical tier because I don’t like Steam. I really hope they do Gog Connect one day or something similar.

What’s wrong with steam… I use a ps4 pad so i need steam

I have to wait for Steam to start before I can run the game. I refuse to keep Steam running in the background because it’s resource inefficient and I really don’t see any point. It also doesn’t let you play the game until you’ve downloaded the latest patch (this takes hours in the case of KCD) unless you’ve disabled updates altogether. Gog lets you choose when you download patches, plus you can actually play and download the patch file in the background.

You can turn the updates off through steam too… when running on ultra my cpu only ever reached 52% so that really doesn’t bother me.

Again, this doesn’t change the fact that I have to wait for Steam to load before I can turn on the game. I paid lots of money for this game all those years ago and I chose the physical reward precisely because I wanted to avoid Steam just like thousands of others.

I still don’t understand why you say “wait for steam to load” ??? Does it take time or somthing because i double click my shortcut icon on my home scream and it just loads instantly. After this last patch a lot quicker i might add.

Maybe it’s old hardware???

I click on the icon, count to four for steam to load, then I have to click on a Windows permissions window to allow Steam to check my DirectX version, then count to 12 before my game starts loading. It’s actually faster to not give Steam permission to check, in which case I only count to 3 after that. So even in the best case scenario, I still waste 7 seconds and having to click one extra time. If I’d known, I woundn’t have backed the game and just waited for the Gog release.

My hardware is good enough to play KCD, so Steam has no right to have any issues with it.

7 seconds and one click of a mouse. You poor soul. Perhaps the rest of the forum could arrange a sponsored run or something.