English Longbow & various combat animation

I recently read a topic about Kingdom Come: Deliverance (not in English)

It was interview with @Vik and @TobiTobsen and they said two interesting things. Well, there were more but I know them already (like there will be no chain weapon as a flail).

First, that they actually want to implement “lethal English Longbow” into the final release (not in beta). And I wonder… why? I mean - what would this weapon doing in Bohemia?
Though as a fan of bows I guess i can get over it. Specially after they also add that they consider to improve the archery and make more kinds of bows! I hope they will have the opportunity to make this happen.

Second point is something we won’t see in Act I but it makes me happy just to hear them announcing it is the way they want to go. And that is different animations of one technique based ob different skill of the character so player may guess the skill of his foe just by seing opponent combat animations. Looking forward to Act II already.

1 Like

I know right? Shame it won´t be in ACT1, but I can imagine, that it must be enormous amount of work (for 3 skills of opponent 3 times more animations?). Lets just hope for ACT2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Longbow was also kown in other parts of Europe. Only the stronger war longbow wasn’t so common as in England or Wales.

A ruler or army leader maybe interested in the english war longbow, it abilitys and the tactics used at the battles of Crécy and of Poitiers.
I also think that a english war longbow should be a very rare weapon in Bohemia at this time. I guess a composite bow would be more common.
Just politely ask a cuman for one. :wink:

Longbows have been used across europe since a few thousand years BC… nothing new to it.

What was new was the number of men who used it and they way they where used tactically.
(something that started before 1000AD and was actually not new when the 100year wars started)

Also yew for longbows was imported in great numbers from Italy. So it not like the materials for one was only available in england.

1 Like

Perhaps there are a few misplaced English ‘Freelancers’ roaming around… :wink:

Apparently, English mercenaries could be quite prolific, so i wouldn’t be too surprised if an English Warbow somehow gets into Czech lands.

It was used in a lot of places in Europe with the heartland being England, France above the Seine and the Southern Low countries.

We know they at times the Teutonic Knights hired both English long bowmen and Genoese crossbowmen. Wouldn’t be unfeasible to think a rich local lord could hire a bunch, although the number might be to small to really make an impact.

Guys, I know that longbow was quite a common weapon. I was talking about English Longbow (or warbow) which was different (not just it’s use, it was also bigger and stronger).

As far as I know, Bohemian wood was mentioned as bad for bows by English and not recommended to import except for Ash wood and only in times of need - but I can’t find where I read that so if someone could check this anywhere please.

I also haven’t seen an evidence like arrows tip or mention or anything. It seems to me that people here just switch to crossbows instead of stronger bows.

But yeah, there were few Crusades against Bohemia one including English soldiers I think - but that was 1420 or later.

No they where not different. a wood bow is a wood bow. Sure there can be some differences in the pull, but there is no big technical difference.,

the 4000BC UK find, the danish iron age bog finds, viking age find in Hedeby or the Mary rose… they are all just about 180cm long.

A longbow is a long bow. The alternativ are composite bows.
(the wood short bow is a myth that there are no real evidence of in Europe)

Obviously I was talking about the difference in the pull (and I think it is quite important) and not about English longbow not being a longbow…
180 cm is bigger than the only one found in Bohemia (which was 140 cm flat bow i think).

I’ll take a Turkish or Magyar composite bow over a stacking bow any day. I hope I can get one off a Cuman.

Old discussion, but I can easily explain that about bows in Bohemian lands. Bow shooting has very long tradition here, similar to English and long and strong bow is really not something unique and rare (English people saying it, but it’s bullshit). That nonsense about bad wood…WTF??? Czech people making longbows in these days from our common wood and it works, it had to work even in medieval age. Maybe English wood was better, but you can make bow from any hard wood if you know how to do it. For example I have oak bow and it works, we have ashes, birches and many other acceptable wood for bows and ofcourse we have yews too. In these days it’s protected tree and we can’t cut it, but in medieval age there was many yews. Maybe not good like English, but it was Yew too. :wink: And that thing about Bohemia and longbows, it’s simple, king Charless IV was very interested in bow shooting and bows was very popular here, he ordered people must train with bows from young years and that’s all about archery in Bohemia. England definitely doesn’t have patent on longbow. It’s one of the most primitive bows, you can’t think it was only in England. :wink: Sorry, but that English bow culture is overrated. Maybe England has first modern archery army, but longbow was knowed definitely in whole europe.

1 Like