Environment art workflow in KC: D

I’m learning 3d environment art myself and one of the inspirations for choosing this path has from the beginning been this tech demo of few houses from your team from few years back :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnSo9bcIyA

So I made a post on polycount forum about general game assets workflow and used example with screenshot from your game (few posts down) http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2462587#Comment_2462587 Could any of the team members or maybe other forum members who work in the game industry comment on the question regarding highpoly to lowpoly workflow? Basically were that bridge pillars firstly modeled as high poly models and than remeshed to low poly and had normal maps baked? Or is it a hi-tris lowpoly as Quack! suggests? You can answer here or on the polycount forum if you are a member :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m neither but there is a video where the Warhorse lead artist Kuba talks about graphic and some workflow. It is meant for the backers but it is quite technical (interesting).

There is also his 2 hour speech from Czech GDS 2013, but it’s in Czech.

He said there they use 256 texel per meter density (and that it used to be 512). Also shows here that they prefer bevels as it has the same number of vertexes as hard edge but looks more natural (that could be just for silhouette I think, not necessary the Star Citizen workflow Quack talked about with edited normals). Anyway, here he showed mesh of a house.

He said that they do in Mudbox (or Zbrush) high poly for bakes but not for tiling textures of the environment but rather for characters and weapons.

They use detail texture. diffuse, gloss, normal (just red and green) maps stored in one detailed texture together in chanels. And that each channel has different influence (like 50% on normal map. 20% on gloss… etc.)

He mentioned wooden pillar few times. That the detail map has to have the same direction as the original wood texture, otherwise details would “cut” into (also obvious).

Thanks so much for the second video and the recap Wenceslaus! I’ll go through it and see how much can I understand it :smiley: I’ve watched the first one numerous times already, but they don’t go much into detail there about modeling/baking :smiley:

1 Like